Filipino Boxing Review

Hey Guys!

I recently purchased Ron Balicki's DVD series entitled "Filipino Boxing." These are great DVDs! There are 3 in the series and each one is right at 2 hrs long. The production and the instructional quality are excellent. Multiple camera angles and screen shots are used to show the action as clearly as possible. Balicki organizes the series into lessons by category and level. He covers basic punching, defenses, limb destructions, footwork, etc as you would expect. But he also goes into several structured lock flows both standing and on the ground as well as kicking drills and some grappling. He gives a fairly in-depth coverage of hubud that really opened my eyes to applications I hadn't seen before. At times the video cuts to Balicki sparring with a student and showing some of the techniques and combinations coming out in "real time." The lessons are arranged so that one builds upon another as you progress through the DVDs. But if you wanted to see the entire hubud series, or the entire jab defense series, etc, all you have to do is select from the menu to watch those lessons back to back. These videos are really well done and IMHO are an absolute steal at the price I got them for! They are listed on Cold Steel's website for $99, but I got them from Jeff at the Cutlery Shoppe for $49. That's nearly 6 hrs of quality DVD instruction for the price that is often asked for one 45 minute DVD. Check it out here:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=8070

Keith

Well doc, I took your word for it and justordered the thing! If it turnes out to meet my high expectations (partially raised by you ;-) I'll buy you a drink, should we ever cross ourpaths.

Cheers!

Back