Finally time for a new SAK

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
After losing my Wenger Nomad that was a gift for my eighth birthday 9 months ago, I've finally given up the ghost. It's either packed in a box or has passed on to someone else.
30 years I've had it, both blades had seen better days.

So, I went a-lookin today, both in store and online. I'm thinking something lighter than what I had.

My problem is so many have tools I'll never use. I'll never use an orange peeler or corkscrew for example. I can't eat citrus fruits, and I have liver failure so I don't drink wine. No use for a cuticle pusher or nail file.

I'm thinking of ordering a deluxe tinker, but it may be too big for my purposes, as I already carry a folder. Also looking at the super tinker.

The minichamp was the perfect size and amount of tools, but too many useless tools to me.

Help please.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Last edited:
Have a look at The Classic, Recruit, Pioneer X, and Deluxe Tinker, I own all of them except the Recruit, however I will be picking one up in the future.

I absolutely love my recruit and it can't be beat for 15$, I also love my tinker which can't be beat for 20$.
You should check out the recruit, tinker , and mini tinker, I don't yet own the mini tinker but what's not to like about the perfect amalgamation of a recent and tinker ?

K.O.D., I have the same problem with most SAK's that you do, too many tools that I will either never use, or use so seldom that it's not worth it to me to have them on the knife taking up space. I lean to the two layer SAK's for that reason. The pioneer, is a great knife, the old 4 blade scout pattern. The cadet is a outstanding every day carry, very flat and light with just the basic tools and blade. The added plus for the cadet is, the tip of the nail file blade makes a fine very small Phillips driver and poky tool. The cadet may be one of the most perfect edc pocket knives out there. If for no other reason, you need to check out an alox SAK.

Gift for your eighth birthday nine months ago?
I lost it it 9 months ago. I got it for my 8th birthday, which was 30 years ago.

I'm going to look at a super tinker today. I'm also considering some of what y'all suggested.

Here's a pic of the old nomad. It was pretty hefty, too much so.

57e13707579a6b32ac8aa63fee7a4197.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

Last edited:
Dayum that sucks kod.. hope you find a nice new shiney SAK that you like, and then find the old one too:D

I carry an Alox pioneer with saw, but I think the next one I get I'll pass on the saw. The pioneer seems to have most of what I need, and not a lot of what I don't need.

What is the advantage of alox?

Sent via carrier pigeon

Sent via carrier pigeon

Mostly the durability of the scales and the blade is thicker I think (might be wrong about that last part).

I have a mini champ on my keychain and have used both the orange peeler as a plastic clamshell opener and the cuticle pusher as a doctors knife/scoop. Not every tool is needed but I've used most everything so far on one thing or another.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Alox knives have thicker blades, the textured aluminum scales are more rigid than the Celidor pieces and the overall thickness is generally a little less for the same number of layers (I.e. an Alox Farmer is a little thinner than a Camper). They also lack the backspring tools like the corkscrew you mentioned not needing or wanting.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your childhood knife, that's a major bummer. Hopefully it will turn up under the seat of the car or in a box some day.

I really like the Vic Pioneer, it's sleek and has the basics of a Scout knife. I also like the Alox now that I've had one. Very durable and I think they look great.

They do however also lack tweezers and the toothpick [emoji14]

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

After lots of online shopping, I found a steal on a super tinker. For me, it's kind of the best of both worlds, as not only did I lose my Wenger Nomad last summer, but my Spyderco Dragonfly ZDP-189. The dfly was what I carried when I went into Chicago proper, due to the blade length law of no greater than 2.5."

For EDC to match up with my regular folder, I plan on picking up an alox cadet in the near future.

Requisite picture

4446b2476281f85df6a07cbfcd4d625f.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

While the Pioneer-sized Alox models have thicker blades and thicker tools, the Cadet's tools are the same thickness as the cellidor Recruit, and the Alox Classic's blades/tools are the same thickness as its cellidor counterpart.

Jim

Back