FireStone Axes

I recently came upon a link to some FireStone axes. There seems to be three models that I could find, a belt axe, a carving axe and a throwing axe. All three seem to have the same head. Has anyone used one of these? Are they junk? How is 440C for a chopper?

Belt axe
5_11929.jpg

Throwing axe
9_23273.jpg

Any info would be appreciated. The throwing axe in particular looks like it would make a good hawk that could easily be choked up on to use as an ulu.

440c is great steel if it's heat treated properly. I don't like the screws though and like the CS hawks it's best not to use them for hafting.

Regards

Robin

Not a screw... a roll pin. (rolled pin?)

I have had the belt axe... for the same money, you can get a Gransfors Bruks. I'd go with the Gransfors.

I have one and use it a lot. I have the belt axe but made a long handle for it. I have not put the belt axe handle back on in over a year. I love the ergonomics of that head. You can use it for scrapping hides very well. Keeps a great edge.

Not junk. I've used my belt axe for a few years and I am very happy with its ergonomic handle design. It's designed to choke way up next to the blade and works well for fine work. Holds a good edge and I haven't damaged mine yet (I keep a convex edge on it). I got it because I liked the handle and I wanted at least one stainless axe. A gransfors bruks is better but this fills a fine niche. Pricey but fun to use.

Do any of you guys know where the FireStone axes are made? Are they made here in the USA?

Back