First Cold Steel - Code 4 Tanto

Just got my first Cold Steel in today, a Code 4 Tanto. Came across it on Amazon for $47 (open box deal) so that seemed like a steal.

Initial impression is this thing is a tank. Super strong lockup and extremely high build quality. Need to sharpen it a touch but it is pretty sharp out of the box, but it also may be lightly used.

A little bigger than I expected but so far it's awesome. I'll have to grab another Cold Steel in the future.

Size comparison to a Kizer Begleiter (green) and Benchmade Mini Ti Monolock

IMG_20190816_135950.jpg

IMG_20190816_135956.jpg

IMG_20190816_140016.jpg

IMG_20190816_135451.jpg

IMG_20190816_135746.jpg

OH yeah...that's the next cold steel on my to get list. I got two already in two steels same blade profile. For a pocket carry EDC knife Code 4s work great. At the cost of what some say "Slipperiness" of the handle and the thinner handle makes hours long working with it a sorer hand. That's some thing I can work with myself if needed. The Cold Steel triad locking system some say "Its over Kill and probably not needed!" To that I say, That's the POINT! So you don't have to worry about the blade slipping its lock up and cutting you or worse! I'm looking at some more common (as steel snobs say lower steel) to use till blade goes bust (and get a new blade) beater use that is easier to sharpen when needed. I love the triad locking mechanism.

Nice choice for your first CS!

This one's been in my cart more than once. CS does such a great hollow ground American tanto, and I'd love to have one in an EDC length.

I have one as well and it's been a great knife.

The handles are a bit slick, but the thinness in the pocket is nice.

I really wish they would make this in a linerless G10 version.

b8ytuC1.jpg

In the middle of sharpening mine, had to put it away to restart another time.
Right now the main blade is sharp with the tanto portion dull. This got me thinking, it's kind of a cool setup. Got a scraper in the front you don't care about dulling to poke around with no worries, while still having the other portion sharp hehe. I'll still sharpen it out though, just a thought.

Last edited:
Having now held a tanto-bladed Code 4, and with access to a ruler, it's frustrating that the knife is listed as 3.5" in the specs but isn't actually a 3.5" blade. :thumbsdown:

The cutting edge is just under 3.5", yes, but the amount of blade protruding from the farthest-forward part of the handle is 3.625" -- which is over the legal limit here, unlike 3.5" (which is the limit).

Based on handling it, I love absolutely everything else about this knife. Great price for what you're getting, comfortable in hand, and thin and classy looking with a real workhorse of a blade is a superb combo. :thumbsup:

I put a strip of grip tape on each side of mine. This makes a world of difference in the grip.

Is the blade much thinner than the recon tanto? Tough decision between the two. I like the clean lines of the code 4 handle but the bigger blade on the recon.

My code 4 does not say what steel is made of.. My brother bought the knife years ago new.

My code 4 does not say what steel is made of.. My brother bought the knife years ago new.
When they first came out they were AUS8. The general rule of thumb for CS seems to be if it's not marked, it's AUS8. Not always 100% accurate, but pretty good bet.

Last edited:
It was my first CS knife too. I liked it initially, but the handle thickness started bothering me, even with my size M hands it felt really thin when I put it to work and I eventually ended up selling it. I still have deep scar on my ring finger to remember it by, not the knife's fault in any way, just being careless, lessons learned :D

Back