First Fletcher on its way..

Just ordered my first Fletcher, a Pro 6-5.

Haven't been this excited about a knife in quite a while. I will post pics when it arrives.

:D

Just ordered my first Fletcher, a Pro 6-5.

Haven't been this excited about a knife in quite a while. I will post pics when it arrives.

:D

Excellent choice for your first. Also, I got your email so you're on the list.

I've never seen another maker/company offering such a high percentage of knife designs that I love. Blows my mind.

Dylan, can you offer up any insights on your decision to work with the cpm154?
Thoughts on working with it/feelings about the finished product?

The pro 6-5 is an awesome knife. Carries well, feels good in most hands and cuts like a champ! You will not be disappointed!

Wacky usps tracking had Monday as the delivery date.. maybe it will come tuesday.

I've got Heber working on a horizontal carry sheath for it..similar to the one he made for you Whitty.

Dylan, can you offer up any insights on your decision to work with the cpm154?
Thoughts on working with it/feelings about the finished product?

Absolutely. I pretty much stick to three steels these days, O-1, CPM154CM, and 5160. The 5160 I use very rarely, but it does happen. I've tried a ton of different steels to see what performed the best and what was also the best to machine and maintain my pricing. The CPM154 is affordable enough that I don't have to add a crazy upcharge to use and it's performance is incredible. I don't have any of the problems with 154 that I had with other stainless steels. It's generally referred to as one of the "super steels", but it isn't hard to sharpen like some of the others, so maintaining the edge is easy. Some of the stainlesses take forever to sharpen due to the hardness of the steel and it makes them less useful in my opinion for regular use. I know that people will argue that those keep a sharp edge longer, but who cares if it takes you four times as long to sharpen it when it's time. Also, it doesn't seem to chip near as easily, which is a big deal with hard stainless steels. If you've ever had to sharpen a chip out, you know how awful it is and how much it can turn you off to super steels in general. To me, CPM154 is pretty much the O-1 of the stainless world. It gives you everything you want out of the stainless aspect, and none of the stuff you hate. As far as making knives out of it, it is more difficult to work with than the carbons, just from the time the grinds take with convexing and the heat treat having more steps, but compared to the others, it's easy peasy. It's actually way easier to use than some of the lesser expensive stainless like 440C. I love the stuff. I'll keep trying other stainless steels in case i find something better, but at least I know I have one surefire winner with the CPM154.

2rw9f8l.jpg

Absolutely. I pretty much stick to three steels these days, O-1, CPM154CM, and 5160. The 5160 I use very rarely, but it does happen. I've tried a ton of different steels to see what performed the best and what was also the best to machine and maintain my pricing. The CPM154 is affordable enough that I don't have to add a crazy upcharge to use and it's performance is incredible. I don't have any of the problems with 154 that I had with other stainless steels. It's generally referred to as one of the "super steels", but it isn't hard to sharpen like some of the others, so maintaining the edge is easy. Some of the stainlesses take forever to sharpen due to the hardness of the steel and it makes them less useful in my opinion for regular use. I know that people will argue that those keep a sharp edge longer, but who cares if it takes you four times as long to sharpen it when it's time. Also, it doesn't seem to chip near as easily, which is a big deal with hard stainless steels. If you've ever had to sharpen a chip out, you know how awful it is and how much it can turn you off to super steels in general. To me, CPM154 is pretty much the O-1 of the stainless world. It gives you everything you want out of the stainless aspect, and none of the stuff you hate. As far as making knives out of it, it is more difficult to work with than the carbons, just from the time the grinds take with convexing and the heat treat having more steps, but compared to the others, it's easy peasy. It's actually way easier to use than some of the lesser expensive stainless like 440C. I love the stuff. I'll keep trying other stainless steels in case i find something better, but at least I know I have one surefire winner with the CPM154.

Gotcha, good info.

Its actually my first cpm154 knife.. it will certainly be put through its paces.
Regarding the handle, what everyone says is true, feels great. Ergonomic and comfy..I could hold it all day.

I'm afraid it has only made me want more instead of satisfying my desires, however.

I picked up a Pro 6-5 a few years back, and it has been a constant companion since. It goes where I go, and has been out with me in seven different states, from south Florida to north west Michigan :) Great little edc knife.

536036_428185687204073_1122167337_n.jpg

421485_428185383870770_909718291_n.jpg

DSC_2646f.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

2015-03-10%2015.54.19.jpg

I have that exact same sheath for my Fiddleback Sneaky Pete. Fits perfect for scout carry. Heber kicks ass!

Back