First Framelock - Sold! Thanks

I often use my folding knife to cut roots or trim tree branches, often at odd angles, hence the chances of it disengaging the frame lock on me because my palm/fingers would push outward the frame lock during that short moment in that position.

I just love my fingers enough to wonder what's up with that particular folder's locking design. :p
(I still find the locking design positioning odd)

It's good to hear people using folders for more then just display. I use my MSC all the time. It's still got melted fiberglass insulation on it.

The thing I never got was notion of using a blade at awkward angles and getting it to slip free. Assuming you are applying downward force on the blade to cut, or dragging to slice, I can't imagine an angle you're cutting from that would affect that. Probably a great reason why designing a reverse bladed framelock is a bad idea.

All said, I think fingers are fine on most well designed titanium framelock. Something that needs to be considered is that with a proper grip you will be apply inward pressure from your palm by simply gripping the blade. My cousins SnG has lock rock, but that has had zero impact on its usefulness as a tool. This is in part by the fact that a proper grip on the SnG ensures additional pressure on the lockbar. Most framelock folders are fundamentally the same, so Daniels would benefit from that as well.

Daniel must be in the shop, or he would probably be here posting some complicated math on the most optimal angle for lockup and whatnot.

What a nerd.

Try climbing trees and try cutting from branches to branches (I'm a small lady, easier to let me start the branch trimming before they cut down the bigger stuff). Also, some stump roots are rather stubborn (we don't carry heavy power tools on the trail most of the time so we make do with what we got). Plus I have fun making excuses to use my knives, that's what makes my job fun for me. :p

I am definitely interested in one of these awesome looking knives. Great work Daniel.

I've got a lot of titanium framelocks, and those that came with early lockup like in Daniel's pics have worn in and settled nicely after use.

That's a very beautiful beasty looking folder (I want one! Soon...)

But forgive me if I'm putting a little damper on this thread but looking at those pictures, wasn't the frame lock supposed to rest in the middle of the back blade area? (Forgot the terminology for this) rather than sitting at the very edge of the back knife part? I just found it weird that none of the pictures showed the frame lock sitting firmly in the middle in a locked position.

Or maybe I'm missing something or the pictures are not displaying the lock position faithfully?

...no damper, I encourage questions! :D

I do not feel the the frame should rest at the middle of every framelock blade when locked... the blade is .207" thick and has early but plenty of lockup. Lock strength is not determined by only contact area anyways, it is determined by geometry and positioning as well as a few other factors.

I also did not take the picture of the framelock to prove anything, I took them to show off the knife! :D I'll get some straight up lockup pics the next time around... it is an important shot just like the obligatory kitchen knife choil shot.

I back my work and always will... the majority of my knives go to repeat customers. I'm not here as much to put the hard sell on my work as I feel it speaks for itself.

I had the same question...

See posts #32 and #37...

The knife went out to the new owner right after it was posted (so no new pics) and he is very happy with it. :D

It is really important to me that I have a trusting relationship with my customers, I only send out the very best. This is no exception.

It's good to hear people using folders for more then just display. I use my MSC all the time. It's still got melted fiberglass insulation on it.

The thing I never got was notion of using a blade at awkward angles and getting it to slip free. Assuming you are applying downward force on the blade to cut, or dragging to slice, I can't imagine an angle you're cutting from that would affect that. Probably a great reason why designing a reverse bladed framelock is a bad idea.

All said, I think fingers are fine on most well designed titanium framelock. Something that needs to be considered is that with a proper grip you will be apply inward pressure from your palm by simply gripping the blade. My cousins SnG has lock rock, but that has had zero impact on its usefulness as a tool. This is in part by the fact that a proper grip on the SnG ensures additional pressure on the lockbar. Most framelock folders are fundamentally the same, so Daniels would benefit from that as well.

Daniel must be in the shop, or he would probably be here posting some complicated math on the most optimal angle for lockup and whatnot.

What a nerd.

Yes, just in from grinding 9 knives... was in the shop from 8am-9pm yesterday and have been getting lots done even though I'm still sick!

I'll I have to say to any doubters is to buy one... if you can force yourself to return it I'll pay for you to send it back! :D

I have the highest repeat buyer and lowest return rate I have ever heard of... just need to get them out faster!

I often use my folding knife to cut roots or trim tree branches, often at odd angles, hence the chances of it disengaging the frame lock on me because my palm/fingers would push outward the frame lock during that short moment in that position.

I just love my fingers enough to wonder what's up with that particular folder's locking design. :p
(I still find the locking design positioning odd)

Why not use a small fixed blade knife? No chance of it closing on you. Plus it's a reason to carry another knife. :)

I just looked over the pics and I'd wonder if that was all I saw too. :)

Next round... spine whack and abuse video! This one took spine whacking like a champ and never came unlocked during any type of use. I tested the knife for several weeks before final finishing as the design means everything to me.

I have a few more in the works so look out soon!

Just saw this thread and I am glad to be on the list, looks like we know where to find the beef. Nice looking folder Daniel!

Last edited:
Mister Fairly, it's not often that details/reasoning/insights into a design of the knife enthralls me enough that I want more. That is, wanting one in my hands in due time. :p

Why not use a small fixed blade knife? No chance of it closing on you. Plus it's a reason to carry another knife. :)

And Wilson,
Just because I mentioned my use of folding knives and no other mentions of anything else doesn't mean I don't use any other knives including fixed blades (of which I have many of and used them often). That would be a rather unfair assumption on your part towards me. :(

Mister Fairly, it's not often that details/reasoning/insights into a design of the knife enthralls me enough that I want more. That is, wanting one in my hands in due time. :p

And Wilson,
Just because I mentioned my use of folding knives and no other mentions of anything else doesn't mean I don't use any other knives including fixed blades (of which I have many of and used them often). That would be a rather unfair assumption on your part towards me. :(

I wasn't making any assumption towards you Lady Earth. Was just asking a question based on the information you had provided. My apologizes if I have somehow offended you.

You spinewhacked??
You are a nerd, Daniel!
Will you still fill my orders??
:D

Just saw this thread and I am glad to be on the list, looks like we know where to find the beef. Nice looking folder Daniel!

Good stuff... thanks!

And Wilson,

Thanks! As a full time knifemaker these things mean a lot to me.

I know most everyone here and we have a great group of people... I'm sure the suggestion was only meant in a good way. I personally welcome you to hang out and have fun here in the DFK subforum! We all like sharp knives !:D

I need to haunt this subforum. :)
We'd be happy to have you here more often! :D

You spinewhacked??
You are a nerd, Daniel!
Will you still fill my orders??
:D

I know... :D I did it with a Ninja suit on too. ...but I usually wear that, that is one of the reasons I have never been captured on film.

Orders... what orders? oh yeah I've got guys working in shifts!

I have the highest repeat buyer and lowest return rate I have ever heard of... just need to get them out faster!

. . . it's about time that light bulb went on . . . . :D :D
Daniel my good man, this is direct quote from the one and only Sally T . . . . . :thumbup:
Be safe.

Nerds wear Ninja suits!
You need to wear a Samurai suit!! With a propeller beanie. :D

Ahem. And, uh, what about them OTHER folders? The ones that matter? ;)

:D Those are on too! My tackle boxes are full of folders in various stages...

[/B][/U][/I]
. . . it's about time that light bulb went on . . . . :D :D
Daniel my good man, this is direct quote from the one and only Sally T . . . . . :thumbup:
Be safe.

I'm working doubletime lately...

90/10 Rule in the DFK Shop - 90% of my time is spent on that last 10% of finish work... directly tied to the return buyer percentage :D

Back