First impressions from GEC compared to my Rough Ryders from a traditionally un-trad-knife guy. Main point is Case, though (?)

If ya like the Barlow pattern try a Boker. Very crisp action and fit n finish is awesome. Only wish they made a little bigger one too
i have a barlow expedition, and nothing I have has better fit and finish as well as its smooth action,I have others as good but not better.but ya it's about 31/4".

GEC is the gold standard for modern made traditional pocket knives. More expensive no doubt but worth it at drop prices.

I wish Case would use more carbon steel. Other than that I think they make a good knife. I do agree that some of there models are made better than others. I have recieved a few duds but returns were no issue. Older Case knives are amazing and worth the hunt for them.

The Rough Ryder or Rider knives provide an excellent value, but the pride of ownership is not there for me. I have handled a few and the quality seems ok. They are not in the same league as Case in my opinion. In 50 years that Rough Ryder is going to be worth the same as it is today. I like to use all my knives and hope my sons carry on the tradition. Like to believe I am leaving behind a nice collection of quality American or European made knives.

GEC is the gold standard for modern made traditional pocket knives. More expensive no doubt but worth it at drop prices.

I wish Case would use more carbon steel. Other than that I think they make a good knife. I do agree that some of there models are made better than others. I have recieved a few duds but returns were no issue. Older Case knives are amazing and worth the hunt for them.

The Rough Ryder or Rider knives provide an excellent value, but the pride of ownership is not there for me. I have handled a few and the quality seems ok. They are not in the same league as Case in my opinion. In 50 years that Rough Ryder is going to be worth the same as it is today. I like to use all my knives and hope my sons carry on the tradition. Like to believe I am leaving behind a nice collection of quality American or European made knives.
To me the “gold standard” is Bose/Case in both design and execution. Compare their Norfolk Whittlers or their Remington Bullet copies, Case is better.

To me the “gold standard” is Bose/Case in both design and execution. Compare their Norfolk Whittlers or their Remington Bullet copies, Case is better.
Case/Bose knives are awesome. They are more of a customish knife to me for some reason. I have handled and owned a few and they do not disappoint. I prefer Carbon steels so I lean to GEC.

Manufactured in 2011
1698684500165.png

Manufactured in 2015
1698684558831.png

Manufacture in 1975
1698684660762.png

Manufacture in 2012
1698684742943.png

Manufacture 1965 - 1969
1698684876137.png

Manufacture in 1981
1698684993920.png

Manufactured in 1993
1698685356585.png

Not a flaw or blemish on any of the above. Overall, Case through the years has made a pretty damn fine product. Have they made some duds - sure but so have all the others.

Manufactured in 2011
View attachment 2373756

Manufactured in 2015
View attachment 2373757

Manufacture in 1975
View attachment 2373759

Manufacture in 2012
View attachment 2373760

Manufacture 1965 - 1969
View attachment 2373763

Manufacture in 1981
View attachment 2373769

Manufactured in 1993
View attachment 2373780

Not a flaw or blemish on any of the above. Overall, Case through the years has made a pretty damn fine product. Have they made some duds - sure but so have all the others.
That 81 Barlow is perfection.

You're also comparing knives that tend to cost between $120-$160 to knives that cost $500+ from a dealer. Case Bose collaboration knives and GEC knives aren't comparable. For one thing, the Bose knives feature modern steel in 154cm, and they also have washers, if I recall correctly. There's also a much closer level of hand-finishing involvement (as there should be for that price). The Case general line is absolutely not better.

Manufactured in 2011
View attachment 2373756

Manufactured in 2015
View attachment 2373757

Manufacture in 1975
View attachment 2373759

Manufacture in 2012
View attachment 2373760

Manufacture 1965 - 1969
View attachment 2373763

Manufacture in 1981
View attachment 2373769

Manufactured in 1993
View attachment 2373780

Man, Ed, these are all simply gorgeous knives. Thank you for sharing.

You're also comparing knives that tend to cost between $120-$160 to knives that cost $500+ from a dealer. Case Bose collaboration knives and GEC knives aren't comparable. For one thing, the Bose knives feature modern steel in 154cm, and they also have washers, if I recall correctly. There's also a much closer level of hand-finishing involvement (as there should be for that price). The Case general line is absolutely not better.
If we are talking about the quality produced by a company, then the Case/Bose should be included in the conversation.
If price is a disqualifying factor, then GEC shouldn't be included in the conversation with Case, and Case shouldn't be included in the conversation with Rough Ryder.
Finally, if we include Rough Ryder's premium line of knives, then we should also include Case's premium line of knives.

If we are talking about the quality produced by a company, then the Case/Bose should be included in the conversation.
If price is a disqualifying factor, then GEC shouldn't be included in the conversation with Case, and Case shouldn't be included in the conversation with Rough Ryder.
Finally, if we include Rough Ryder's premium line of knives, then we should also include Case's premium line of knives.

Previously, that may have indeed been the...well, case. But Case knives are starting to cost between $75 and to now around $120, which is in the range that some GEC knives have cost, so they're very much in contention. They also have cheaper knives that I'm not sure I'd pair up against RR, because at that cheap price, I think RR probably does it better. As for GEC, they do not have any knives built to a $500+ spec that I am aware of. So, if it's ultimately "Which company makes the overall best knife", well then I'm going to be candid, I've never see a GEC that has as good a fit and finish (and the upgraded materials) that the Case Bose knives have. I am a huge GEC fan as well (if my collection is any indication), so I'm not playing favorites here, the level of quality for the money is there. As well, and I hate to "go there", but EVERYone in the knife community at large knows who Tony Bose is, even if they weren't slipjoint fans. I still have to remind people on Instagram who Bill Howard is, because most people don't know. 🤷

Some beautiful knives!

I have the worst luck of anyone ever when it comes to such things. All but two new Case knives (one luck of the draw, one hand picked by contacting six dealers first) have been VERY disappointing in the last 3 years! Gaps in liners. Blade rub causing chipped edges! Sheepsfoot blades with bellies. So on and so forth!

But it’s the same with me and any durable good. The lemons come my way so that some of you get to live the good life on the opposite end of the bell curve where everything is always perfect! You’re welcome you lucky jerks! 🤣 :D😆:p

We were discussing the “gold standard” so price isn’t really relevant since by definition gold is expensive. A Bose design for the Norfolk or Remington made into a knife by GEC would still trump the GEC design.

We were discussing the “gold standard” so price isn’t really relevant since by definition gold is expensive. A Bose design for the Norfolk or Remington made into a knife by GEC would still trump the GEC design.
Well, I'm not sure I follow. I thought we were taking the logical path, and comparing current product lines. I don't think GEC would ever build a Bose design to Mr. Bose's spec, because Bill makes knives that he designs, and that's about it. I do not think they would ever make knives like the Case/Bose collaborations, especially since those knives (again) have features and materials that traditionally* they have never utilized. If GEC has ever made knives in a steel like 154CM, I'd love to know about it.

*Skidooosh!

The last two mini-trappers I got from Case are perfect.

It seems like QC is getting better.
Add me to the folks who've also made this observation. I recently picked up a mini Stockman with Maple Burl covers that are nicer than most of the Burlwood I've ever received from GEC. I paid $78 and received an impeccably finished little knife that I'm quite pleased with.

I think what we need to do is push Hashishiin Hashishiin to buy Queen, Rose Craft and well every other brand too to feed his new found Traditional addiction.

Give every brand you can find a try as the classics like Case and GEC will be around for a good spell longer.

I do not think they would ever make knives like the Case/Bose collaborations, especially since those knives (again) have features and materials that traditionally* they have never utilized. If GEC has ever made knives in a steel like 154CM, I'd love to know about it.
In 2010, GEC produced a model called the "Gladiator" (54/Moose) for Northwoods using S60V. Derrick Bohn predicted that this was unlikely to ever happen again...

these are especially interesting knives. They were made by GEC (though Dave would have said he made them....) and they are a super steel. I have worked like crazy to get Bill at GEC to do some knives for me with s30v or some other super steel, but he is steadfast on 1095 and 440c.

I don't know if there will ever be another one like it come out of GEC.

Manufactured in 2011
View attachment 2373756

Manufactured in 2015
View attachment 2373757

Manufacture in 1975
View attachment 2373759

Manufacture in 2012
View attachment 2373760

Manufacture 1965 - 1969
View attachment 2373763

Manufacture in 1981
View attachment 2373769

Manufactured in 1993
View attachment 2373780

It was Modoc ed that sent me on the case chase, when I was a lurker on knife forums a few years back many of times his pics would surface,and man did I get hooked I ate the whole danm case hook,and I'm happier for it, the wife prefers me reading about knives over politics and religion,but not so much the cost of buying from canada.when I mention cost I never say that's american currency honey.

Back