First Knife Project - multiple threads merged

Hey all, I am new here and will be doing some research on these topics for now I am mostly saying hello but could also use some advice. If I have posted this in the wrong section please let me know thanks.

I am wanting to make my own custom chopper knife with a blade length of ~12.5" and tang ~5.5". I purchased a 3/8" thick, 2 and 1/2" width, 18" length piece of O1 tool steel. I have no experience making knives but have always wanted to try. It may not be wise to start on such a large knife but I have always been one to dive right into things. After a bit of youtube watching, I found Gavko has a video building a knife almost identical to what I want to build even using Micarta for the handle. I am using a bit thicker steel as I want the heft mostly for camp wood chopping etc.

I have a few questions: belt grinders... I am really thinking about just jumping into something nice such as one of the beaumont KMG's it is not really "in" my budget but I have enough to buy one. I have seen some cheaper 42" grinders such as the KALAMAZOO 1SM 1" X 42" and maybe this would work for now? Even if it is slower my money is tight and throwing $1500 at something might make someone angry if you catch my drift, also it would cut into my emergency fund a bit... I also saw the grizzly 72" and the Coote were recommended but at that cost I figure I may as well jump up to one of the KMG's. I am up in the air about all of these. If a KALAMAZOO 1SM 1" X 42" would do then that would save me some up front cost. I also am not sure how many knives I will be making at first. It is really just going to be a hobby.

If I did go with the beaumont, which is the best model for an absolute beginner when it comes to belt grinding, the 10 inch wheel? I have experience with wheel metal grinding/cutting and hand belt sander wood work but never have I worked metal on a belt grinder.

I have experience with some different metal types (no heat treating experience yet) that is another issue, maybe I will send the metal to someone (any recommendations there)?

Anyway I have a lot of research to do and I know I am a long way from doing any of this but I would appreciate recommendations on belt grinders or even custom build kits. I can likely throw something together myself. I do not currently have a welder.

Thank you all for your input. Also if anyone needs help with a computer that is my specialty. Willing to trade time for time. Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after some research I have been rethinking the Grizzly G1015. I also saw a Craftsman 2" wide 42" length belt grinder. People here have mentioned they have used the Craftsman. For a knife of this size I think a 72" grinder would be best but being as I have no experience using a belt grinder would it be ok to start there? Would the Grizzly be friendly to a beginner? I am still reading threads...

The other thought that crossed my mind was just using files for the bevel but on a 18" length piece of steel I imagine my wrists would be failing after completion.

This is fine where it is.

Start your quest for help by filling out your profile...all of it.

Well I filled out my profile. I am actually thinking about waiting on this grinder decision until after tax season. Maybe I will get a decent return and that might put me in the range of the KMG... It will be tough looking at a chunk of steel shaped like a knife.

Thanks for filling out your profile. Minnesota is a big state, a more specific location might be helpful if you want a local maker to offer some assistance and a shop visit. There are lots of great guys in your region.

I always suggest people start by using files and sandpaper before buying a grinder. The stickys has a good tutorial on making a knife.

I am in Zumbrota. I have updated that. I would be willing to drive to check out a shop for sure! I will check out the knife building sticky. I thought about using files but on a knife with an overall size of 18" that might take ages. I have some file using experience, maybe I should start out on a smaller knife. I would hate to mess up a chunk of steel this large.

Another question that I did have was whether to heat treat before or after grinding the bevel, I plan on a flat grind. I have not read anything solid referring to heat treat before or after, I don't want to warp the blade if I heat treat myself, if I send it out I assume this would be less of an issue. I did read it is a bit harder to grind after heat treat which might be a good thing for a beginner, slower grind might mean less major mistakes.

Thanks for replying.

I have a few quick questions. Please note I have never built a knife before but I have cut a bit of steel.

I have a 3/8" thick, 2 and 1/2" wide, 18" piece of O1 stock. I am wondering if I can use my angle grinder to cut out the knife I design from the stock. My fear is over temping the blade edge while cutting, I wasn't sure if this mattered as I will be sending this in for HT. From the bit of experience I have, metal tends to get pretty hot while cutting with angle grinders and dremels and in some cases it even burns. Should I leave extra steel on the blade edge and grind that down later? Am I safe to just cut this thing out at full speed along the exact profile? Should I instead use a metal saw or sawzall?

I really appreciate the info. I am in no hurry. Thanks!

After some more research most people seem to be recommending a metal cutting band saw. I do not have one of these.

Unless you are making axes, 3/8" is twice as thick as you need. 1/8" to 3/16" max will be more than thick enough for any knife you want to make.

This is going to be a chopper for camp wood gathering, I have a 1/4" thick Ranger RD9 that works well but I want more weight which is one reason I went thick. Another reason was I figured I would go a bit thick in case I made mistakes and needed to take a bunch of extra steel off, I doubt the full finished blade will remain 3/8" maybe 5/16" at the thickest spot on the spine. I am hoping for ~32 ounce total finished weight. Quite a while back I watched a video of a guy chopping wood with a knife vs an axe that had similar weight. He was able to chop through the wood with 3 hits from the knife and it took 7 with a similar weight axe. I believe he was cutting 2*4 wood which is about the same size I gather camping. If I recall correctly his name was Cliff. He was using a pretty heavy knife.

Last edited:
I use my angle grinder for that. I keep it oiled to try to keep it cool, but it gets hot. I leave extra on there and finish the rest with my bench grinder, which keeps it a lot cooler than the angle grinder as long as you use water or oil to keep it cool. Some people probably have different/ better methods, but that's my two cents

After much deliberation and drawing on paper, this is the result I have on steel. I know I need to touch up corners and round edges with my red sharpie. I may add another lanyard hole near the top of the ricasso which looks like a rhino lump at the moment. It isn't perfect yet but I like the look. Let me know what you think. Also can anyone guess where I got the handle design? Hint: it is one of my favorite knives. Too easy isn't it?

This will be my first knife ever designed and cut. Keep in mind it will be a fire wood chopping work horse. The steel is O1. I am up in the air about end hardness (suggestions? I may shoot for 58). The blade length is 11 and 3/4" to the choil, the total length is 18". The thickness is 3/8" which may come down a bit, not sure, I like the weight even uncut. The initial tip to belly curve is 3 inches in length and the swoop down on the spine begins at 6" from the tip of the blade. The scales will be made out of micarta, I am going to use blue, yellow, and red paper. I will be making the scales removable which means I am looking for hardware suggestions (Hex or Allen wrench removable)?

The large belly and flat top to tip kind of give it a "pirate" look in my eyes. I look forward to your comments and all of your help. I am still looking for a grinder and drill press, also a metal band saw. I have angle grinders and dremels.

Pictures (EDITED for pics to show on page):

Last edited:
I have a few quick questions. Please note I have never built a knife before but I have cut a bit of steel.

I have a 3/8" thick, 2 and 1/2" wide, 18" piece of O1 stock. I am wondering if I can use my angle grinder to cut out the knife I design from the stock. My fear is over temping the blade edge while cutting, I wasn't sure if this mattered as I will be sending this in for HT. From the bit of experience I have, metal tends to get pretty hot while cutting with angle grinders and dremels and in some cases it even burns. Should I leave extra steel on the blade edge and grind that down later? Am I safe to just cut this thing out at full speed along the exact profile? Should I instead use a metal saw or sawzall?

I really appreciate the info. I am in no hurry. Thanks!

If the O1 is in an annealed state your not going to effect it's temper...

Tempering is the process that occurs after quench to alleviate stresses caused by the quench. It's also a means of bringing a desired and intentional balance to hardness/toughness of particular blade steels, and can be manipulated in order to accomplish the means for a particular application...

From what I'm reading in your post, this steel has not been hardened so there is no existing temper to damage.

Using a cut-off wheel or grinding for that matter isn't going to burn, or create any detrimental heat affected zone (HAZ)...

If you torch cut the profile, arc gouge it, or plasma cut it you will create a HAZ, but I don't think you have these methods in mind...

I wouldn't worry about keeping it wet, or oiling it for that matter... I don't think the heat input of a grinder is going to cause warpage, especially on the size of the stock you're using... I don't believe you'll ever be within the realm of effecting the steels grain structure either...

Keep it cool so you don't burn yourself... that's an obvious common sense kinda thing though...

I hope I'm helping here...

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. The steel says it is annealed, definitely not hardened, there are instructions for the exact methods for critical, quench, and then HT. Angle grinder it is! I will likely leave about 1/16" steel on all the edges I can so I can touch it up with a grinder with a few different grits. By the way if anyone is interested, I have posted the pics of my idea of the blade design drawn on the steel. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...awn-on-steel-Open-to-suggestions-and-critique

I really appreciate the help.

Maybe put that design on the back burner for now. Since you don't have any of the bigger power tools that is a lot of knife to attempt. Try working on small knives until you build up your shop a bit. If you are set on making that knife I would suggest using a simple rounded line at the front and rear of the handle and get rid of the sway back on the top of the handle. Just use a gentle up swept arc on the top of the handle tying the blade into the handle in a smooth flowing line. Also, maybe add a bit more sweep to the belly. You have a lot of edge to work with. Design the edge to have a graceful sweep. Don't let the bar of steel dictate what it will be or it will look like a bar with rounded edges. You tell it what it will be. See below. The rest looks good. Ambitious project, good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually like the design you have. I like the longer sweep on the belly. I was also thinking about a very slight re-curve starting about 2-3 inches away from the choil.

I tried to put a flat top on the tine and for some reason it just didn't look right. Your design does. Maybe because I was still leaving in the rhino bump. I will be shopping around for shop equipment before doing any serious work on this. As of right now I plan on using an angle grinder and a dremel to cut out the blank. It will be a while as I am still going to perfect the look of it.

I also am in need of new files. I was looking around but I have no idea what brand to get. I will be doing some research in this field. My father still has a really nice set of files he would probably let me borrow.

Last edited:
Back