First new BM in a while -- M4 Bailout

So I got my first new BM in a long while -- the CPM-M4 Bailout. Been searching for one for some time and it finally came together. Unfortunately, being located overseas its quite a bit more difficult to land BM knives.

My initial impression was puzzlement. When you look at knives online a lot, it sometimes manifests in a bit of a reality check when you actually see one in the flesh. I'd tried without success to 'view' a Bailout before committing to buy one but without any luck. So when I actually had it in hand I was taken aback. Seemed like not a lot of knife for the money.

My most carried BMs are the 20CV G-10 Griptilian, a M390 Ritter Grip and an AFO II. The Bailout is kind of the same size as the first two but its a LOT slimmer. The blade in particular is very thin. Now ordinarily this would bother me but it IS CPM-M4, supposedly a very tough steel.

Its not that I have a big issue with lightweight folders, in fact I prefer them. But I have to wonder what the thinking behind this one was. I kind of expected it to be a bigger, 'tougher' knife, given that its supposed to be a tactical blade (isn't it?) and given the price (a contentious issue, I know).

In any event, I'm sure it will prove to be a winner... its extremely comfortable to carry, and quality is excellent all round -- the grinds are perfect, centering and all that is perfect. I bought it slightly used but to all intents and purposes its perfect in terms of fit and finish.

Look forward to using it!

Last edited:
I was always a “big is better” knife guy until I got my first bailout. It grew on my quickly.

It’s the, I guess you could say, tactical version of the bugout. It was designed to be light weight and thin but give you everything you need in a folding knife. It’s handled everything I’ve done with it so far. It’s replaced the mini adamas I was carrying for work.

I'm not sure if its a trend or not but making things more petit seems to be the flavour at the moment? It's def the case with watches, my other weakness. Some time back the trend was for large watches, now smaller ones are all the rage.

Personally, I've also always tended towards beefier knives. However, I've learned from long use that I am also more likely to put the lighter knives in my pocket... especially in summer. So based on that the Bailout will get plenty of carry time.

I’ve had the M4 bailout, and it strikes me as a knife for people who like the Bugout, but need to stab things and break car windows. So in other words, an out-of-the-box more tactical version of the Bugout. I ditched it because the glass breaker/lanyard is just weird, but Benchmade M4 is superb and it’s a light knife. It’s the sort of knife I’d recommend to someone in the military or law enforcement.

I’ve had the M4 bailout, and it strikes me as a knife for people who like the Bugout, but need to stab things and break car windows. So in other words, an out-of-the-box more tactical version of the Bugout. I ditched it because the glass breaker/lanyard is just weird, but Benchmade M4 is superb and it’s a light knife. It’s the sort of knife I’d recommend to someone in the military or law enforcement.

cfVw3zq.jpg

The Bugout just seemed too small for my tastes and I wanted to add a CPM-M4 blade to my line-up. Years ago I had a CPM-M4 Ritter Grip which I foolishly sold. Now THAT was a knife!

I try to buy knives based on whether it features a steel I don't own. I also like tool steels quite a bit. So that was the main thing that attracted me. It's the only tanto folder I own but it seemed to at least be a practical tanto profile.

Would be great if they brought out a drop-point version but I guess they don't want to cannibalize the Bugout.

The Bugout just seemed too small for my tastes and I wanted to add a CPM-M4 blade to my line-up. Years ago I had a CPM-M4 Ritter Grip which I foolishly sold. Now THAT was a knife!

I try to buy knives based on whether it features a steel I don't own. I also like tool steels quite a bit. So that was the main thing that attracted me. It's the only tanto folder I own but it seemed to at least be a practical tanto profile.

Would be great if they brought out a drop-point version but I guess they don't want to cannibalize the Bugout.
I believe there are people that offer re-grinds of the tanto to make it drop point.
REC sells the service for $15.

I have to wonder what the thinking behind this one was. I kind of expected it to be a bigger, 'tougher' knife, given that its supposed to be a tactical blade (isn't it?)

In reality, the Bailout is probably more than tough enough for anything you would use a folder for. We've been so over conditioned by knife marketing over the past decade or two to think that thick and beefy equals super tough, and light and thin means fragile, when in reality, a thinner M4 blade may be more "tough" than a thicker 20CV blade.

In reality, the Bailout is probably more than tough enough for anything you would use a folder for. We've been so over conditioned by knife marketing over the past decade or two to think that thick and beefy equals super tough, and light and thin means fragile, when in reality, a thinner M4 blade may be more "tough" than a thicker 20CV blade.
I believe you're right... in truth it likely won't be used for much more than opening packages. But as a long-time knife nut what keeps me interested is trying and comparing high-end steels. These days we're spoiled for choice in this area. CPM-M4 is one of the best in my experience, if you like tool steels (which I do) although Spyderco have a new one they use called K390 that's really something too.

Been carrying this for a couple years now, once I modded it nothing else has bumped it for edc
Its extremely easy to carry, that's for sure. I don't mind the tanto profile for practical use, its just a little trickier for sharpening. So far all I did was strop it a bit on the back of an exam pad and the edge is ferocious. That's why I like tool steels.

I have both Bailouts........
Like the Bailout with the aluminum scales, I have had a rust problem with the M4 steel. I also plan to get rid of the glass breaker and grind the lanyard flush.
The Grivory scales model I like, it's light and great for EDC.

I have had a rust problem with the M4 steel.
the edge is ferocious. That's why I like tool steels.
trying and comparing high-end steels. These days we're spoiled
Trying to fit the Bailout and Bugout and a few others into a 940:cool:

Here is a Magnacut custom reblade, hollow ground is .09 inches thick with .009 inches BTE tested to RC61, that is more stainless then M4, might be about as tough as 3V... or is it V3?, and weighs a bit heavier then my CF Bugout 1.9xoz, at 2.1oz with a CF clip, 2.07oz without. Just put it together, and generally don't pry or open cans with knives, but this one's edge is slicey.
Pic stinks- but secondary bevel is between my Bugout .35" and Shoki .25"

480n940MCv1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the M4 Bailout, and really like it, especially for how thin it is.
The first thing I did was send it to REC for the drop point regrind they offer. Much better, IMO.
The second thing I did was get a backspacer, made by Rockscale Design, that replaces the glass breaker. Nice and clean.
It's one of my favorite Benchmade knives that I own.

Last edited:
I have the M4 Bailout, and really like it, especially how thin it is.
The first thing I did was send it to REC for the drop point regrind they offer. Much better, IMO.
The second thing I did was get a backspacer, made by Rockscale Design, that replaces the glass breaker. Nice and clean.
It's one of my favorite Benchmade knives that I own.

That's very slick! Would be great if they brought out a drop point version...

I know I'm late to this post, but I just bought an aluminum bailout. I'll probably remove the glassbreaker and add a simple backspacer.

I aboslutely agree with the OP's comment that I was expecting "more knife". Now in part this is because I've been exclusively been carrying a Mini Adamas (which is fantastic, but it's heavier and thicker both in blade as in handle).

Nonetheless this Bailout promises something interesting: extremely thin blade (which I love). M4 blade by Benchmade (which I love). Lightweight (we'll see if I end up loving this). And a great tanto blade.

I intend to make it a user and see how we get along. It's expensive but I've never been dissapointed by Benchmade products to be honest.

I know I'm late to this post, but I just bought an aluminum bailout. I'll probably remove the glassbreaker and add a simple backspacer.

I aboslutely agree with the OP's comment that I was expecting "more knife". Now in part this is because I've been exclusively been carrying a Mini Adamas (which is fantastic, but it's heavier and thicker both in blade as in handle).

Nonetheless this Bailout promises something interesting: extremely thin blade (which I love). M4 blade by Benchmade (which I love). Lightweight (we'll see if I end up loving this). And a great tanto blade.

I intend to make it a user and see how we get along. It's expensive but I've never been dissapointed by Benchmade products to be honest.
The bailout in any configuration is a great cutter. I carry one as a secondary backup blade all the time. It gets used more than any other knife I own.
The M4 wont let you down. Holds a great edge and takes a great edge when sharpened.

An inexpensive way to get rid of the glass breaker it to just add another standoff.

Back