First quality multi-tool, SOG Powerlock

After handling a few of the no name brands over the years that were of poor quality I was quite put off by multi-tools, that is until I saw a review of some multi-tools in Knives Illustrated that sparked my interest. They had a review of Leatherman Surge, Core and SOG Powerlock as well as a Kershaw. After looking into Leatherman and SOG (the two that interested me the most) a great deal I decided to go for a SOG. I found a Powerlock on ebay for a decent price so I figured I might as well give multi-tools one more try.Well I received my first multi-tool that has good quality (the nameless brand ones don't even come close) today in the mail, and I have to say I am quite impressed by its quality and the possibilities it possesses. The quality of the Powerlock compared to the nameless brand multi-tools I have handled exceeds all of them (in fact they don't even come close). Every component of the SOG is by far better then any of the other ones I have handled. I will come in quite handy when I am working.

Now I think I might just have to give Leatherman a try as well, I don't know why I waited so long to go after the good multi-tools, but now that I have one that is of good quality I am tempted to buy a few more. ;)

Also try Victorinox Swiss Tool. I have the sog too, but it comes in second to the swiss tool. The best Leatherman I have so far is the charge xti.

That was a smart move to buy a good quality multi tool. They're just like regular knives (or anything for that matter), if you buy junk, you'll most likely never be happy with it. You buy quality though, and you'll be took care of for now on. As I'm sure you've already figured out, if you look around and ask questions on this forum, you'll get a different opinion (good and bad) about just about every make and model of multi tool out there. I think that as long as you're buying good name brands, then you should be pretty happpy with whatever you buy. I know from experience though, there is no "perfect" multi tool out there, and if you're not careful you'll end up spending many a paycheck filling up a shoebox or two with every dang flavor of multi tool there is, just in the hopes of finding the tool that does anything and everything.

I don't know how it would fit your personal needs and uses, but I've found that a Victorinox Soldier in the pocket and a SOG Powerlock on the belt is a good solid combo that covers most general situations. I figure if I can't do it with one of those, I need to quit being lazy and walk back to the work truck to get my tool belt. Anyway, congrats on picking the SOG and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

ever had a problem, after cutting something tough with the wire cutter, where it locks up when closed?

Enjoy your SOG:) I switched to the Powerlock after I got tired of the newer Leatherman offerings getting rusty in spots where the older models did not. It turned out to be the perfect needle-nose tool for my needs. The compound pressure is fantastic for my work needs.:thumbup:

I'll still give Leatherman a shot in the future. While it's a great tool, sometimes the SOG is just a tad heavy to cart around. The Leatherman skeletool looks like it might be just the thing to EDC when I need a good blade, but don't want to leave home without my ever-useful pliers.

I had forgotten about this thread...

I have not had a problem with the cutters locking up after cutting something hard, but I havn't cut anything real heavy with them. I normally use the cutters for 14-16g wire and they work well for that.

The weight is a bit much some times to cart around. I normally don't carry it with me unless I know I will be needing it.

The SOG Powerlock is a great tool. I own one of them- I bought it when my PST went in for warranty replacement. The SOG is a tank. Glad to see there's another powerlock fan here. One of my biggest attractions to the Powerlock is the gear system, which allows for wrist snap opening, and takes pressure of the joints. It makes if very smoothe to open.

The SOG Powerlock is a great tool. I own one of them- I bought it when my PST went in for warranty replacement. The SOG is a tank. Glad to see there's another powerlock fan here. One of my biggest attractions to the Powerlock is the gear system, which allows for wrist snap opening, and takes pressure of the joints. It makes if very smoothe to open.

Ditto.... usually when I get customers asking for multi-tools the first question I ask them is what feature they feel they will be using them most. If they're looking for a good pair of pliers, SOG is the one I recommend first & foremost, followed by Victorinox Swisstool (if they do any kind of carpentry the 90 degree angle lock feature is amazing) but if they want a knife, then I recommend the Leathermans.

I get quite few people in also who rave on and on about their Gerber multi-tools and we do carry one model, but compared to the others, I find it's just... not a great design.

I am -really- looking forward however to the upgrades they've made to the SOG Powerlocks, and I'll probably buy one for myself now. :)

I have an SOG Powerlock S61. When I first used it the scissors wouldn't lock properly. Well with any other multitool this would be big trouble, you would have to send it to the manufacturer for repair. But with the Powerlock all I had to do was adjust the hex bolt and the problem was fixed. That's why I love it.

I have just ordered an s61. I need every tool that comes on it with the exception of the third and largest flathead or awl, I would like to replace one of these with the v-cut or the serrated line cutter. Can this be done? I know the v-cut is a replacement for the scissors, but they are a necessity. If any current owners know about this I would like to go ahead and order whichever will work.

The V cutter should be the same thickness as the scissors, if the screwdriver (or screwdriver and awl combined) is at least that thick it should work in terms of handle width.. BUT...by putting in a long tool (the v-cutter) that is not at the side of the handle, you will probably create a problem by taking away the space the jaws fold into

hmm, good point, so some rearranging may be in order. guess i'll just have to buy the v -cutter and take it from there. looks like maybe the file will be the one to go

I own a powerlock and it is great. I have edc'ed a LM wave and a LM Surge for the last 3 years with no problems and I have used the heck out of them.

I used to own a Leatherman Surge. It cost as much as the Powerlock S61 but was nowhere near as good. That tiny phillips screwdriver was a joke and the eyeglass screwdriver was useless to me. The knife blades were bigger (but this doesn't mean much to me since I don't buy a multitool for the quality of its knife) and the locks on the tools inside the handles were rather stiff.

The Leatherman is much better than cheap generic junk, but after comparing it to the SwissTool and the Powerlock I can't see what's the big deal about it.

Back