First step

i have been using one of the mass marketed 3-5 blade disposable head razors since I started shaving but have recently started thinking of going the straight razor route. Any recommendations on a good quality first step and what else would i need? Mass produced shaving cream or gel work well or would I need to switch to soap?

First step is to get a DE, a sampler pack of blades, some soap and a decent brush. Basically what you need to do is learn all the parts of shaving you have been doing wrong (and that's not a personal thing, we all were taught bad habits by multi-blades) so you learn to make lather, do good prep, and have an awesome shave that isn't a struggle, and doesn't take all that long (20-30 minutes, maybe less)

So that once you have that in your schedule, you can start the profligate spending that is straight razors. Suddenly a 30$ blade pack will be nothing as you see an antique blade that is only 90$ but in great shape, and a maker you don't have yet, strops from all the exotic creatures on the ark, not to mention a soap collection that might raise eyebrows if seen by your poker buddies, and you were not already married (yes blatant stereotype, I know, but shave soaps smell nice, and straight guys can have nice things too!) and thats only if you don't take up honing, in that case a couple of grand can be sunk into rocks that your EDC collection will never touch.... yeah it gets out of hand quick...

DE blades are cheap, good vintage handles are fun to hunt for and not terribly expensive, and you will actually save money and get a damn fine shave.
Not to talk you out if it, but the reality is that its easiest to learn one thing at a time, and that leaves you less bloody. That way when you do get to straights, you have a solid foundation to work from, you will know what a sharp blade feels like, know how your skin reacts, and really have only a couple variables to solve. I love to straight shave, but I haven't touched my straights in a year, I just don't have the time needed, but I can grab my DE do my skull in the shower, take another 15min for my face and touchups and be pretty ready to go in a reasonable time frame. Doing my scalp, and face with a straight would take me half a day at this point.

First step is to get a DE,
DE blades are cheap, good vintage handles are fun to hunt for and not terribly expensive, and you will actually save money and get a damn fine shave.

And be in very little danger of killing yourself.

I was surprised to see a couple of safety razors (=DE) appear at my grocer's pharmacy less than a week ago. Van Der Hagen of China. Probably perfectly good, but not much cheaper than the old ones you see at antique stores. I got one for three dollars at my Estate Sale Outlet recently. Boiled it on a steamer rack for 20 minutes in case of rabies, bedbugs, or ghosts.

I had actually considered a de also but was unsure as to the difference in shave from the multiblade and the de. Gonna look to go that route first as it seems the most logical and most similar. Thanks folks

At the very least, I think you'll enjoy the DE enough that it will be worth the experiment. Its a long road, so might as well get some benefit even if you don't get to the final goal. That said, you should totally find a local barber who does straight shaves and enjoy one.

Back