First try at a holster

This is my first holster. I ended up a little close to the edges on my stitch lines, so i'll be more careful about that on the next one--this was completely a learning exercise for me. Design wise, (and for the next one I do) I was wondering if it should come up a bit higher at the trigger guard?

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• Resized_20170514_184348.jpeg
    Resized_20170514_184348.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 74
In my opinion the mouth of the holster could and should be a little higher at the trigger guard and perhaps a little higher all the way around that curve. I prefer the trigger guard to be completely covered. Excellent job otherwise.

Paul

Great job. I would take Paul's advice. Any top quality custom holster makers have the leather come up higher at the trigger guard and the curves. It just makes for a more secure fit.

Nice holster. I carry an LCP everyday and would recommend the Houge LCP grip. It's $10 and makes a huge difference.

Thanks guys for both the feedback and the compliments. I'll take your advice on the next one and make the design change to cover the trigger guard with higher curves, etc. (which will also provide a more secure fit it sounds like.)

Nice job! I'd agree with everyone about covering the triggerguard, particularly on a striker fired pistol such as your Ruger. On a double action revolver or pistol, or a single action this is not as critical but on a striker fired type it is important. On the others while not necessary it does make people feel better. When adjusting your design consider angling the pistol forward a hair more. More important than completely covering the triggerguard is the ability for the user to completely and firmly grasp the pistol while still in the holster. There must be enough clearance between the top of the holster and the grip to accomplish this. Eaglestroker here on BF caught one of my holsters looking like it might be a little tight. Once he pointed it out I was worried. However when my friend came to pick it up I checked it and it worked for him. Otherwise I'd of tossed it and started over. On a smaller gun like your Ruger this grip and obtaining it while still in the holster is absolutely vital to shooting that weapon well. Also on a striker fired pistol I'd do very little molding on the triggerguard area, none on the inside like ya see on some 1911 holsters. Nice job very clean work

Nice job! I'd agree with everyone about covering the triggerguard, particularly on a striker fired pistol such as your Ruger. On a double action revolver or pistol, or a single action this is not as critical but on a striker fired type it is important. On the others while not necessary it does make people feel better. When adjusting your design consider angling the pistol forward a hair more. More important than completely covering the triggerguard is the ability for the user to completely and firmly grasp the pistol while still in the holster. There must be enough clearance between the top of the holster and the grip to accomplish this. Eaglestroker here on BF caught one of my holsters looking like it might be a little tight. Once he pointed it out I was worried. However when my friend came to pick it up I checked it and it worked for him. Otherwise I'd of tossed it and started over. On a smaller gun like your Ruger this grip and obtaining it while still in the holster is absolutely vital to shooting that weapon well. Also on a striker fired pistol I'd do very little molding on the triggerguard area, none on the inside like ya see on some 1911 holsters. Nice job very clean work

Thanks, Dave. That's good advice on doing very little molding on the triggerguard area--I can see how that'd be a bad idea on a holster for this type of weapon. I'll be re-making this one with some of the suggestions I've gotten on here. It has been a lot of fun trying my hand at something new.

Back