First two M-43s arrive. Pix & specs.

The first two got here yesterday afternoon and I am not disappointed. One made by Durba and one by KNN. Both right up to snuff quality wise but they strayed farther from the model on this one than they have anything in the past. I'd rate the one by Durba as about 80 to 85% faithful and the one by KNN in the 90% faithful range rather than the usual 95 to 98%. I have my theories as to why they strayed. They immediately recognized the model as a copy of an old military model and incorporated their "improvements". They moved the cho forward and also moved the belly of the blade forward some. It's still pretty close but no cigar this time for Durba and KNN.

Length is 17.5, thickness is about 1/4 inch most of the length of the blade and weight is 28 ounces (Durba) and 27 ounces (KNN). Steel polished up it looks like silver. You can see yourself well enough in the buttcap to shave.

Karda and chakma standard HI and pretty hefty.

Scabbards nicely done by SNN with steel tip rather than brass.

The pix below shows the model make by Durba which I think is the less faithful of the two. You can compare it to the wood model pix and add your own comments and theories.

These two are gone. Terry Sisco gets the KNN and Jim Clifton gets the Durba because he likes Durba's work and also because he is the only one to prepay so got the top spot on the priority shipping list.

Attachments

• m-43 in steel.jpg
    m-43 in steel.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 512
I like it! I think I'll wait for Sanu's version first though.

I think both Terry and Jim will like these but they are not quite like the model this time.

Both are packed and will fly today.

I like it too. I can't wait for mine. I am down a bit on the list, so maybe the later ones will be closer to the model and I will get one of those. I don't mind it the way it is though, not a bit.

I don't think anybody is going to mind much regarding the "improvements". It's still pretty close.

Where's Bro? I want his input about this one.

I notice if the design is new, something the kamis have never seen before, they come very, very close like they did on the YCS and Bob Kenny Bolo.
But, if it's simply a copy of something they have seen and worked with before they seem to like to make their improvements. If Sanu makes a couple of M-43s I'm wondering if he will "improve" the design or stick strictly to the model.

I think they are $145 but can't remember for sure.
Anybody know what these sell for?

What a way to run a business!!!!!!!

Uncle, even with the "improvements" the M-43 is cool. If I'm on the list, please make sure I'm really low on it. The clutch in my car just went out so my M-43 money is gone for now :(

Heber Ellsworth

It'll be awhile, Heber. Dasein is coming up and there will be no work but only celebration going on at BirGorkha for two or three weeks.

YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
The M43 is here! Ok I got that out of my system. They look pretty good to me. They did move the cho out a little and add a little bit more belly, but it looks fine. I can't wait to for it to get here. I'll have a 5 day vacation next week so I'll have plenty of time for a field test.
Bill,
Is the cho on the KNN M43 closer to the bolster than durbas?
Thanks again Uncle.
God Bless.
Terry

The cho looks about the same to me.

You better do some sarki work instead of playing around in the woods. 5 days at 20 hours per day is 100 hours of sarki work you can get done.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that the M-43 came in that close to the thickness of the originals. I figured that would be the 1st "improvement" the kamis would make on this one.:)

I think it would have "looked" prettier and more authentic with the cho in the proper place for an M-43, but I have to admit that the cho being moved foward can be an improvement when chokeing up on the handle a bit for a little more control.

I'm also anxious to see T-Bone's field report on this one as I have a feeling that with the belly moved forward just the bit it is that it should improve the overall chopping characteristics of the knife.
What's your initial reaction and feelings about this T-Bone?

I know that the hardened zone is gonna be as perfect as only the BirGhorka Kami's can get it, but I'm also anxious to hear not only how hard these blades are, but also the length of the hardness.
I have noticed of late that most of the khukuris, last 3 or 4 I have gotten, are hardened further toward the tip than they used to be.
And not only just hardened further toward the tip, but also a tad harder right at the tip.
One of the last YCS's, I think it was, I got was even harder back towards the cho than is usual.
Anyone else noticed this?

We have had a couple of tips get damaged like Will Kwan's when he hit the rock and I've reported this back to BirGorkha. Could be that the kamis are stretching the hardness length a little trying to get the blade a little harder toward the tip but not so hard that the tip will break rather than bend. It's a delicate balance.

Wow! That really turned out well! It doesn't really look too different from the model to me, and IIRC, the original M43's varried quite a bit from one another, anyway. Thanks, Terry For the model. ;)

Uncle, you're gonna have to put me on the list for one of the future ones, once the other forumites get theirs. I'd love to see Bura's version as well as Sanu's, since they both have made forward and full-curving khuks a few times before. :D

Did I mention that I REALLY like this knife? :D :D

The knife feels pretty good in the hand although I didn't do anything but swing it a couple of times.

No.

Put the cho back in the proper place and bring the blade back to specs. The pregnant shape of the current ones loses the grace of the originals. Don't send one to me til they get it right.

I agree with Rusty, I want one but not till they get it right.

Still a dayumed nice looking knife though.

Any chance I could get one without the handle slabs, Kind of want to do my own in white linen micarta.

I'm not down on the kamis, it's just they have the capability to do it up better.

Besides which, I musta gottouta the bed on the wrong side today.

Could somebody post some pics side by side for comparison? Maybe one of Terry's model, Durba's knife, and an original M43 together? I agree Durba's knife does look a little like a BGRS, but I still like it. It might look nicer with a touch less belly and a slightly more curved handle, though.

Back