Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Hey Bravo, I believe what you're catching is yellow bass. Here's a link to an article about the species.
http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=28887

Thanks for that! We catch those yellows and the wipers when we are down at Bucks Pocket. The wipers get a little over a pound done here and are good fighting fish. Not as fun as the yellow though. If photobucket will load, I'll post a pic of some of them wipers....

Last edited:
Wiper, or hybrid. Where we fish both the wipers and the yellows are invading the shallows to spawn!
K3jYA7b.jpg

Interesting, we have hybrid bass here in the Lake of the Ozarks, and they do not look like these pictured. I wondered what they could be. Our hybrids get much bigger.

I know we're all pretty spread out, but regarding the bass, have any of you guys ever fished Lake Meade or Lake Powell for stripers? My dad went down with some other folks a few years ago, but now he can't remember which lake they fished, and they flat loaded up on them that trip. I'm really wanting to do that, but man, getting the time.....

This trip was in 2015 Just dug out the pics now. this was the first time we had used a Field knife in 3v. The BK5 was the kitchen knife.

This hunt was planned for over a year. Since my son was under 18 at the time of applying for tags, it was less expensive for him to go along. We planned and refined and adjusted the packs and knife list for months. I will let the pics show the rest... enjoy!

Packing... excitement is off the charts!
cfuzpCE.jpg

westward bound! Mountains in view !
BaCCkJw.jpg

HSsRYiF.jpg

Uh OH! Traffic jamb in town! This looks like home!
ecljsn1.jpg

almost through
arglEIJ.jpg

another one on the way to camp!
ySTJEjW.jpg

Now to get set up for hiking and scouting the next couple days...

MrPbRHH.jpg

Shot's over the ridge! Did he get one? My answer.... I saw several minutes later. Bull down! And what a bull. Sun is just coming up, working it's way down the mountain side. It is so beautiful out there. Words do not describe. What an experience for a young man. His first elk ever. The bull was headed up to the timber to get out of the sun. It was still unseasonable warm.
DeMUyDz.jpg

RCkBEsI.jpg

Then the work to cut it up and try to pack it out of the burn to the trail. That was brutal. No pics of cut up due to inexperience and bloody hands...
SHYeEuS.jpg

ST7ML0S.jpg

The tenderloins for supper!
MIbGqih.jpg

f7YdBYN.jpg

fBwxVIt.jpg

Last edited:
This trip was in 2015 Just dug out the pics now. this was the first time we had used a Field knife in 3v. The BK5 was the kitchen knife.

This hunt was planned for over a year. Since my son was under 18 at the time of applying for tags, it was less expensive for him to go along. We planned and refined and adjusted the packs and knife list for months. I will let the pics show the rest... enjoy!

Packing... excitement is off the charts!
cfuzpCE.jpg

westward bound! Mountains in view !
BaCCkJw.jpg

HSsRYiF.jpg

Uh OH! Traffic jamb in town! This looks like home!
ecljsn1.jpg

almost through
arglEIJ.jpg

another one on the way to camp!
ySTJEjW.jpg

Now to get set up for hiking and scouting the next couple days...

MrPbRHH.jpg

Shot's over the ridge! Did he get one? My answer.... I saw several minutes later. Bull down! And what a bull. Sun is just coming up, working it's way down the mountain side. It is so beautiful out there. Words do not describe. What an experience for a young man. His first elk ever. The bull was headed up to the timber to get out of the sun. It was still unseasonable warm.
DeMUyDz.jpg

RCkBEsI.jpg

Then the work to cut it up and try to pack it out of the burn to the trail. That was brutal. No pics of cut up due to inexperience and bloody hands...
SHYeEuS.jpg

ST7ML0S.jpg

The tenderloins for supper!
MIbGqih.jpg

f7YdBYN.jpg

fBwxVIt.jpg

Wow, what an adventure and a helluva bull!

Fantastic hunt. Looks like some great country too.
Thanks.

An Elk hunt was something my Dad and I planned for years, but unfortunately never accomplished. Your pictures certainly bring our best intentions to life. It inspires in me a bit of melancholy, but I'm also very happy for you guys. What a great experience!

This trip was in 2015 Just dug out the pics now. this was the first time we had used a Field knife in 3v.

I remember when you first posted that trip Brian. I think it was out in General Knife Discussion because there wasn't a CPK forum. Your boy did a great job giving his thoughts on the use of the field knife. After considering the field knife for awhile, those thoughts really gave me the final nudge to acquire one.

Quoted lest this be lightly passed over. I feel your pain here brother.

" Brian77 "

Wow !!! Thank you for the pics ! That's awesome , thank you for sharing !

It
No... Just a hiking area near Boulder, CO, about 10 miles from the house. Simple day hike here is usually rewarded with some of the best views imaginable.

Brian77 Brian77 Where was that elk hunt. Hunt of a lifetime, by the looks of it!
It was near Meeker, Colorado. We are planning to hunt either Montana or New Mexico in 2018. Won't be going west this fall, sadly enough.

No... Just a hiking area near Boulder, CO, about 10 miles from the house. Simple day hike here is usually rewarded with some of the best views imaginable.

That's a state that I'm largely unfamiliar with, except by pictures and stories. It looks like wonderful country. Thank you for sharing it.

....We are planning to hunt either Montana or New Mexico in 2018. Won't be going west this fall, sadly enough.

You may not have picked a bad year to skip out here Brian. I don't know if New Mexico and Montana got hit like we did, but it was bad out here this winter. Here's some shots of what it was like....

tLho3hR.jpg

N02RN3Z.jpg

hU7PSB1.jpg

wf1Nr5I.jpg

ATN27pV.jpg

jl1iWNN.jpg

S41nd9B.jpg

BOixGHw.jpg

6poIOfI.jpg

MQEyT3E.jpg

yriu09D.jpg

uQpuBw9.jpg

QSFabSG.jpg

S6z7LRQ.jpg

ROBdMpO.jpg

PvOfwGT.jpg

yiPdfTg.jpg

OzeQ9pO.jpg

8RhWImm.jpg

That's mother nature for you. Once in a blue moon, she will throw a curve ball in the form of extreme weather of some sort. Even some animals get blind-sided by the sudden weather change. I sure wish we had snow here right now, it's hotter than hell here!

Back