Fixed blade legality in car?

Does anyone know the legalities of keeping a big fixed blade in the car? I know it may varry from state to state, and my knives ranging from 5 to 8 inch blades are way past the legal carrying limit, but what about cars. For both permanent storage for say or survival knife, or transportation of a big hunting knife. Thanks
I live in the northeast btw

Here in texas I believe you can carry any size knife in a vehicle, and I have heard in some eastern states that it is lawful to have a fixed blade knife 7" and over if you are going directly to or directly from hunting/fishing/recreational activities. I would say just speak with your local police or game wardens, or go to your game warden's website. Hope I helped a little ;)

Speak with an attorney if you want a definitive answer. If you don't want to do that then you can rely on responses here for what they are worth.

Here in texas I believe you can carry any size knife in a vehicle, and I have heard in some eastern states that it is lawful to have a fixed blade knife 7" and over if you are going directly to or directly from hunting/fishing/recreational activities. I would say just speak with your local police or game wardens, or go to your game warden's website. Hope I helped a little ;)
Okay thanks!

Varies state by state. It should fall under the concealed or unconcealed weapons law. In NH for instance there are no knife restrictions therefore you can have one in or around your person. However if you carry a pistol and it's not visible (on the seat/dashboard) it's considered a concealed weapon and you need a concealed weapon permit.

What's your state?

I was pulled over by the police about two years ago. I was going to a place I was unfamiliar with and made a wrong turn. So I turned into a bank parking lot instead of making a u turn on the road. It was after dark and a cop a few parking lots down saw me. He basically accused me of casing the bank to rob it and used that as his reason to pull me over. I didn't stop or linger at all. I turned in, turned around, and left. Anyway, he asked if I had any knives or guns in the car. I told him no because I forgot the knife on my backpack in the back seat that was clearly visible. It was an 8" fixed blade with a 4" blade. He looked at it and asked me if I had any other knives in the car.
This happened in PA. He didn't say anything else about the knife after that. If that same thing happened in NJ I would have probably been on my way to jail.

Back