Fixin' it? "Code of ethics"

Hey David,

How about you answer the questions put to you before asking that I answer yet more of yours?

And there is nothing "extreme" in the examples I - and others - have put forward. If you think the "contemptible atrocity" label doesn't apply in those circumstances, then please articulate why that is so. Then feel free to reconcile that with the position Ed has advanced. If you are able.

Roger

I have one question for Ed. I really like your designs and take your opinions with a grain of salt as you have been there much longer than I have. How do you see the following scenario:

I finally save up enough to get one of your knives. I like all aspects of your knives except one- I detest guards on almost all knives. I have read that you will never make another guardless knife as you feel that a knife is a liability without one. So here is the possible controversy- I want your knife and once in my hands I will cut off the guard (as this is an option you will not do for me) to make it more to my tastes- is this committing an atrocity to my knife in your eyes? Is it the same if I get a local, more established maker to do the same?

actually, I think it's a good question, too- in the context of this thread.

I'd still like to hear an answer to that particular question, which is pretty self evident. I don't feel there is a need to further explain the question posed by Kris. I'm simply curious, not trying to stir the pot.

A further question would ask whether the knife would still be covered by the maker's warranty or not.

I'd still like to hear an answer to that particular question, which is pretty self evident. I don't feel there is a need to further explain the question posed by Kris. I'm simply curious, not trying to stir the pot.

Not going to happen Lorien. Not that I am the least bit surprised. This response is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting "Na-na-na-I-can't-HEAR-you!"

It's funny just how often those who claim they wish to engage in discussion, actually want you to just shut up and swallow what they're shovelling.

The first indicator is their response when someone furrows their brow and asks "Now hang on a minute, if what you say is true, how come...." Then you'll get diversion, evasion, answering the question with a question, attacking the question itself, attacking the questioner, and finally, a flat-out refusal to answer the question.

Pathetic. But predictable.

Roger

Roger,
I find your latest questions irrelevant and purely arguementative. Nothing important to the discussion.
David

How convenient for you. :)

What about the questions posed by John T. Wylie Jr, Cuts like a Kris and severedthumbs, as recently endorsed by Lorien and danbot?

Are those questions purely argumentative and not important to the discussion as well?

Roger

I believe the question is: "If I buy one of your knives and cut the guard off would I consider it an atrocity?" My answer is yes. I agree she is yours do have and to hold, but that does not mean I approve.

If you don't like what I make, you can find someone to make it for you. I do not consider myself a slave to anyone - but I will work with those who share a love of the function I devote my time to.

Would I honor my guarantee on the seconder market?
The answer is sometimes: Usually I fix what others have screwed up for the cost of postage. Some knives have been so butchered I don't even try. Damage is not from use but someone with a belt or wheel grinder or mechanical sharpener. I cannot offer a money back guarantee for what some pay for them on the secondary market as the value has increased beyond my ability to purchase them back. For example a knife I originally sold for $85.00 and the new owner just paid $1,000 recently came back, I offered him the original price, he was offended.

Art is based on love. Through love comes emotion, devotion and inspiration. Do I love my knives yes, purely and simply yes. I do not care if you love them or not. If you do I am grateful, if you don't that is OK.

I will work with a client if he desires a knife for a specific purpose and we can agree on design. If I cannot understand his thoughts I send him to someone who will make what he wants. This is only fair - if I do not believe in a knife design it will not be developed with love and I do not have the time left to make knives I don't love. I also feel it is unfair to the client.

My average knife has around 52 hours of hands on time devoted to it. My highest production year as I remember was 40 knives. Now I may make 30 a year. I fully intend to develop each of those knives through all the devotion , emotion and knowledge I can.

With luck I may have 60 knives left to make. I plan on making each and every one with a smile on my face and love guiding my intent. Even though I had never sold a knife, I would continue to make them because this is what I love to do.

I tried to answer your questions, if not ask again.

Wow, this has been a good read, I'll read this all again soon I am sure.

As for the knives, I routinely sharpen knives for customers (both factories and customs). These are using knives that are given to me to sharpen or touch up because the customer may lack the skill or equipment to do things properly. Does this fall under the realm of this discussion?

I also have, at various times, benefitted from the advice and experience of some well-known makers, including having them hold my knives and tell me what they would do differently. I have never mentioned their names to anyone, as I don't want to seem to be trading off of someone else's reputation.

If I, as a newer maker, modify one of my designs based on the advice or helpful criticism of a reputable maker, is it unethical for me to not mention their role in the design process?

Not meaning to stir the pot or dwell on hypotheticals, it was just the first question that came to my mind while reading this.

Have a good one,
Nathan

I offer a life time guarantee on my knives to the original owner.

If I buy one of your knives on the secondary market would I not be covered by your warranty?

Not that I want to get caught up in this hornet's nest as I'm over this thread and the bickering associated with it.
But I don't see what's not understood regarding Ed's statement?

If you buy a knife on the secondary then you are not the original owner, thus no warranty. Duh! Pretty standard warranty policy.

note: generally speaking if you purchase an item from a dealer or retailer acting as agent or distributor for a factory or maker the dealer/retailer doesn't count as an owner. The retail buyer becomes the first or original owner.

Back