Flaring a spear socket?

I'm working on my second spear, and I'm having a hard time flaring the base of the socket out so it can accept a decent size shaft. I made a mandrell, and I heat the socket (a black pipe) until it's almost yellow. Then I put the mandrell in and start tapping it in. But, it's hard as *&** to get out. Am I doing something wrong? This is painful!

I have seen I think at Kayne and sons they sell something for hot punches that makes it a bit easier to get them back out. Might make it a bit easier to get back off the mandrel.

Thanks Burton, that's an idea! If I use the pipe method again I'm going to weld the mandrell to a electric motor and spin the sucker in, but then I'd need to reverse it and I've never found a electric motor with a reverse. Lol.

Just turn the spear point upward and tap around the socket.....the mandrel will drop out.

You don't really want to drive the mandrel in. You slip it in and start forging against it. That spreads the metal and makes the socket flare. Start at the socket opening and work evenly round and round as you go down the socket. It will flare very fast. Once flared to the degree you want, drive the mandrel in tight and use light hammer blows to smooth and planish the surface.

Just turn the spear point upward and tap around the socket.....the mandrel will drop out.

You don't really want to drive the mandrel in. You slip it in and start forging against it. That spreads the metal and makes the socket flare. Start at the socket opening and work evenly round and round as you go down the socket. It will flare very fast. Once flared to the degree you want, drive the mandrel in tight and use light hammer blows to smooth and planish the surface.

It would have taken me forever to learn that on my own. These little tibits of knowledge are so cool, thanks Stacy, I'll try it out.

Yup... Stacy put it perfectly.

If you want to make an integral socket, James Helm does a great job.

James. or Stormcrow, isn't, to my knowledge, making full sockets. I too could fan the metal out and turn it into a cone, but I really want a solid socket with the spearhead centered on the socket, thus the "pipe" approach. I still haven't got the hang of this yet though.

Rick, flattery will get you nowhere, ya Sasquatch-smooching Canuckistanian. :D

James. or Stormcrow, isn't, to my knowledge, making full sockets. I too could fan the metal out and turn it into a cone, but I really want a solid socket with the spearhead centered on the socket, thus the "pipe" approach. I still haven't got the hang of this yet though.

Nope, mine have a seam. The traditional way of getting a solid socket, as I understand it, is going to be to overlap the seam and forge weld it. That's something outside my realm.

I have seen a fellow making socketed chisels who started with round stock and bored out a hole on one end on a lathe, then forged the rest. Same general idea as what it sounds like you're doing, but maybe easier than the black pipe.

I'd also suggest making either a flared head on the end of the mandrel or a 90 degree bend, just to give you something to hit with the hammer to help drive it back off.

Actually, I'm pretty close to success using the pipe method. I got a good, rock solid forge weld. The spear and the socket are one unit now. Unfortunately, the weld is clearly visible, and doens'nt look as good as I want. I've seem examples of guys doing this with perfect results, you can't even see their weld. I do plan on forging out the socket and overlapping it in the future, just to see how it turns out. I think the easest type of spear to make is the type Stuart posted in the customs forum; the japanese yari, which just has a long tang setting atop a solid "socket" looking piece.

Back