flashlights in movies

Finally, a forum where I may be able to get answer to a question I have had for very long time. Besides knives, I love flashlights and have several made by surefire, princeton tec, and even a petzel headlamp. My friends think I am crazy because I some times pay what they consider a lot of money for a flashlight. BTW they think I'm crazy about my knives too, but that's another story. My question is whether anyone out there knows what company makes the flashlight/lantern used in the movies like, "Jurassic Park" or the "The Relic". There are a lot more but I cannot think of the titles right now. It's more of a lantern in the sense that it has a big lamp up front, a handle and the battery or power source below the handle. The distinguishing part is that it has a coiled power cord going from the handle to the power source. Everytime I watch a (big budget) recently produced movie with any night scences, this lantern shows up. Of course they also use surefire and maglites. I would appreciate any information that would point me in the right direction. I have looked at most of the internet dealers for something similar, but to no avail. Thanks for your time and any responses.

------------------

Marlo A. Reyna

David,

Thanks for pointing me in
the right direction. That's
the one!!! I didn't realize
it would cost so much. No
wonder the only time I have
seen them are in the
movies! But as they say,
"if you want the best..."
Thanks again for the prompt
response. I was going nuts
trying to find out if this
light actually existed or
if it was just a movie
prop.

------------------

Marlo A. Reyna

It exists. And it's a movie prop
biggrin.gif
The price is keeping me from owning my very own
frown.gif
But if you have the money and you want one I see reason not to buy it. Now how many Sebenzas and Apogees is that?

Lectro Science has a 2 Million CP spotlight for about $75-$100. But battery runtime is only about 20 minutes.

The MaxaBeam uses short-arc plasma technology. And electronic control. Plus a nice nicad. That is why they are so expensive. The Lectro Science uses standard halogen filament bulbs. Much cheaper.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

David,
I just ordered a Mean Street to go along with my Battle Mistress. Funny you should mention Apogee, since I was very close to buying one, but opted for the Mean Street. I would never give up my Sebi nor Umfaan. Let's see now...if I hit the Lotto this Wednesday, I could have the Maxabeem overnighted to me by Thursday...just a thought.

------------------

Marlo A. Reyna

I remember meijers having a cheap imitation of that on sale for about $20 once. It was rated at 1 million candle power and good for a mile. I don't remember the battery life, but it was rechargable and you could hook it up to a 12 volt hook up also. Haven't seen it for awhile though.

------------------
We got a five dollar fine for whining
We tell you before you come in
So if it ain't on your mind to have a good time
Y'all come back and see us again.- Chris LeDoux

If you want candlepower, buy a HID (High Intensity Discharge) foglight or replacement headlight and fashion your own lamp. There's probably a 5" diameter one. I don't know what sort of current requirements they have, but the voltage is pretty high.

$3250
eek.gif

And I thought the MaxaBeam was expensive.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

$3250 for a flashlight?!
eek.gif

YIKES

Does anyone know what those lanterns they use in "X-Files" are?
The things look like a 3" wide laser beam in the dark. I can never get a close enough look to make out a brand or type.
frown.gif

BTW!
Has anyone done a comparison on Surefire and Underwater Kinetics products before?

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Back