flea market finds

My latest "treasures". Boy Scout mess kit, Boy Scout knife, and two books from the 1960`s by Brad Angier.

2dmcg09.jpg

Good stuff on that boyscout mess kit John, I managed to pick one up for 50 cents at a flea market early this year. Those things are nice little kits! Is that a camp king, I have one of those too!

I know that John and a lot of others here enjoy finding new "toys" at flea markets so I thought I would share my haul from the weekend.

4964455526_76f2374e04_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Euell Gibbons wrote books? I thought he only shilled for Grape Nuts!

Last edited:
Delta battery lantern, made in Marion Indiana. Found this yesterday for $3.

of3dq9.jpg

Yesterday`s treasure finds. :D Imperial toothpick ($2.75), USA marked pocketknife ($1.50) Imperial Cub Scout knife with blue scales ($4.00), Boy Scout flashlight that still works ($5.00), and GI mess kit ($1.00)

2ceg5xv.jpg

Hi Stomper -

Good stuff!

You might want to take the Boss up to the Volo Museum and Antique Mall - that place has a ton of stuff.

I saw old flashlights and knives galore while I was there, but I was there for a car show so I did not peruse the antiques much at all.

I have not been getting out to the antique malls and flea markets like I used to, just not enough time to do everything I suppose.

I did pick up an old Buck 112 in Shedua wood off of the bay a couple of weeks ago - I'll make time to take pictures of it later today.

best regards -

mqqn

Last edited:
Hit both the Flea Market and an Estate Sale yesterday. Found some really cool stuff (picked up my most expensive item for the $20 Kit....a whopping $4). I came across this unique find at the Flea, I thought it was too cool to pass up at $3.

DSC04393.jpg

It's an old cane, not so unique in that but it has ten (there are spaces missing three more) metal badges or shields, attached with small nails. The badges have pictures of hotels, mountains, etc (one is a map of Sweden) and say things like "Munchner Haus Zugspitze 2966m". I assume that these are souvenirs from the owner's wanderings but I am very curious if anyone knows any specific info on them, such as when these were common, etc.

DSC04395.jpg

The blanket was also a find. Full sized, wool, $2. The estate sale had a few nice pieces. The gentleman who lived in the house was a wood carver and his wife was also an artist (painter).

That's a cool find! Lots of personal hiking history recorded there. I think the idea of badges on the hiking staffs got started in the 20's (or earlier) with European hiking clubs. I've seen similar staffs and canes from Europe and the US and some with BSA events from as late as the 80's. You can still buy these medallions at National Park gift shops and the like.

Jeff

Last edited:
That's a cool find! Lots of personal hiking history recorded there. I think the idea of badges on the hiking staffs got started in the 20's (or earlier) with European hiking clubs. I've seen similar staffs and canes from Europe and the US and some with BSA events from as late as the 80's. You can still buy these medallions at National Park gift shops and the like.

Jeff

I posted this on another forum as well and one of the guys had spent time in Europe and said that collecting these is very popular with people who enjoy "volksmarking" (hiking). He said that at rest stops along the trails, people enjoy comparing sticks and seeing where everyone has been, kind of like campers who collect stickers from the different parks and campgrounds. It's seen some miles, that's for sure.

Picked these up at the Flea Market yesterday......it was some pretty fruitful hunting there, very crowded with a bunch of vendors

The hatchet was just covered in scales of rust and gunk. I picked it up and after a real close look, noticed the "HB" and, what looked like "Made in Sweden". I took it home and after some work was very pleased with this find. It a Hults Bruk 1 1/4# hatchet, some character but in great shape, $5.00. The knife is a filet knife marked "F.M. Mattsson AB Mora Sweden". Very sharp and I can always use an extra filet knife! This one was $4.00.

DSC04429.jpg

A close-up of the hatchet head...

DSC04430.jpg

I LOVE THE FLEA MARKET!!!!!!!

Nice finds! I have not been to a flea market in years, was it the one in Alsip?

Nice finds! I have not been to a flea market in years, was it the one in Alsip?

Yup, Alsip. That's the one I usually hit. The next few weekends should be good with the weather warming up and the outside vendors coming out of hibernation with a bunch of stuff to look at. I've also gone to Wolf's in Rosemont. That can be really good as well.

Back