Folded Steel

Do any of you have any experience with the Folded Steel kitchen knives? I keep seeing them pop up on my Instagram feed and am thinking about buying one of their chef knives

I've been making an effort to create a testbed for production dual core knives: knives produced in quantity. Kai Shun has three models: dual core, Hikari, and Nagare. I have one of each. Recently, Xintuo/Hezhen has introduced a very different approach--and I have two of them. I also have a Pakastani cleaver that employs an earler approach. There are one of a kind dual core and Wootz knives that are for sale--many very interesting--but I'm focusing on production knives. I intend to compare the knives in my testbed to a variety of other knives I have in my kitchen.

So far, I'd encourage you to try either the Kai Shun or Xintuo/Hezhen knives--and if you do, let me know what you think.

Do any of you have any experience with the Folded Steel kitchen knives? I keep seeing them pop up on my Instagram feed and am thinking about buying one of their chef knives
Folded Steel knives are made in Pakistan and China, then finished/assembled in a Tennessee facility. No idea if good or bad, but there are a zillion other intereting options out there.

Last edited:
I'm mostly interested in user experiences. The production folded knives I have from China have billets and production similar to those made by Kai Shun. The Pakistani one I have is quite different.

I've been making an effort to create a testbed for production dual core knives: knives produced in quantity. Kai Shun has three models: dual core, Hikari, and Nagare. I have one of each. Recently, Xintuo/Hezhen has introduced a very different approach--and I have two of them. I also have a Pakastani cleaver that employs an earler approach. There are one of a kind dual core and Wootz knives that are for sale--many very interesting--but I'm focusing on production knives. I intend to compare the knives in my testbed to a variety of other knives I have in my kitchen.

So far, I'd encourage you to try either the Kai Shun or Xintuo/Hezhen knives--and if you do, let me know what you think.
Any update on the Kai Shun dual core knives? I'm keen to dip my toe in the water.

Any update on the Kai Shun dual core knives? I'm keen to dip my toe in the water.
Kai has been making dual core blades forever. It's basically a higher wear steel core sandwiched with a stainless steel outer layer.

They make nice knives. Slightly overpriced, but they do look nice.

Here are my Kai Shun coreless:

1. two dual core, a kirirsuke and a santoku

They have an ebony Wa handle, a concealed tang that doesn't go through, and a great half bolster. They are just a bit heavier, but still feel like a Japanese artisan knife--and perform like my Shun sg-2 knives. The subtle ladder patterning is even more beautiful than the pictures: the knives seem almost too beautiful to use

2. one Hikari 8" chef knife

Has an oval birchwood handle with a concealed tang that terminates in an end cap. Nice half bolster with a more Western profile (has some belly). Same performance as dual core, but seems to have a more Western feel. The patterning is two stage, with a hornet's nest effect over ladder stripes. Another really beautiful knife

3. one 7" Nagare Santoku

Has an ergonomic full tang handle, with half bolster, heavier than the others, with a more artistic ladder patterning. Performance s like the others, but it feels evehn heavier than it is. My least favored dual core knife, but it's a real beauty--just like the others.

Back