Folder Complete! - "Enigma" EDC Folder!

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
After considerable planning and countless hours of hard work, I'm happy to say that I have completed my first folder design! :D A lot of people have been asking for me to come out with a folder for a LONG time!

I've decided to call this model the "Enigma"; a very fitting name considering the complexity of building a quality liner lock!

The Enigma was designed to be a general EDC blade with highly refined ergonomics and excellent edge geometry. The blade was hollow ground on both sides using a 14" contact wheel, resulting in a very high grind and a thin edge.

The blade is finished in a two tone satin finish.

The handle is extremely comfortable, and fits well in both small and large hands.

The lockup is absolutely perfect; Zero horizontal or vertical blade play! The lockup is early, just as it should be on a new folder.

The pivot and stop pin are both heat treated, ensuring that the knife will not wear prematurely. The liners are .08" AL64V titanium. This thickness of liner is a good balance of strength to weight.

More Enigmas are in the works! A few design changes will be made. Subsequent examples of this model will not have a recurve blade, and I will likely have different pivot styles available. I may eventually go with a hidden stop pin design, but I haven't decided yet.

I'll probably be keeping this one, as it is the first folder I have ever made.

While this was a bit of a challenge, I really enjoyed making this folder! So much so, that I'm probably going to concentrate on making folders for a while.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics! :thumbup:

DSCN4134.jpg

DSCN4139.jpg

DSCN4137.jpg

DSCN4143.jpg

DSCN4152.jpg

DSCN4149.jpg

DSCN4156.jpg

- S30V Steel
- 58 HRC
- 1/8" Stock
- Dual .08 Titanium Liners
- Heat treated pivot and stop pin
- ZERO horizontal or vertical play
- Ideal Lockup
- Centered Blade
- VERY smooth action
- Phosphor Bronze washers
- Orange G10 handles, Black G10 backspacer
- Extremely high double hollow grind
- Two Tone Fine Satin Finish
- Dramatic Swedge Along Spine For Increased Penetration
- Phenomenally Sharp
- 8.75" OAL, Cutting edge of about 4"

Niiiice! I love the grind, as expected :) Looks like it feels great in hand also... Looking forward to other scale options though :D ...And will this be on your website for sale in the future or through this forum? Both?

Also what clip options are you going to go with? Spine clip would be great on that to keep ergos...

Keep up the great work! Cheers!

Niiiice! I love the grind, as expected :) Looks like it feels great in hand also... Looking forward to other scale options though :D ...And will this be on your website for sale in the future or through this forum? Both?

Also what clip options are you going to go with? Spine clip would be great on that to keep ergos...

Keep up the great work! Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words!

Future examples of this model will likely have black handles and will not have the slight recurve.

I used orange on this one because I figured that I would be keeping it for myself. LOL!

I'll post the new ones on the forums. I dont really put knives on my website anymore; I never remember to take them down after they are sold! I'm hoping to have a few ready in the near future.

I'm not sure about the clip yet. The spine clip may not work because I would need to tap the relatively narrow backspacer. It would be far more secure mounted on the side through the titanium.

I'll probably go with a simple, small clip mounted on the side.

I'm working on a few other designs, but those are way down the road.

That's your FIRST folder? Jesus man, I can tell you're a man who pays attention to details. That's the way to do it though if you have the patience. Don't finish until it's perfect! Looks amazing. If my money wasn't already tied up (aka in a joint account with the wife) I would gladly get one!

Looks great. Congrats. It's is your styling and very sleek. As its your first folder, I'd say you hit a home run on your first try.

Beautiful work! Do you have an approximate idea on a selling price of your future folders?

Beautiful work! Do you have an approximate idea on a selling price of your future folders?

Thanks!

This particular model is $485 in D2.

The new versions are designed to use an internal stop pin, and the blade does not feature a slight recurve.

Back