Folders Textured Grip Preferences

scorpnsnake

Gold Member
I'm curious what the communities thoughts are on this.

For those that like some texture on the handles of your frame lock folders, any materiel. Especially a real grippy, non stone washed texture.

Do you prefer a milled/engraved/laser cut texture on both scales? Or do you prefer to have the lock side smooth for sliding in and out of the pocket? Has this ever been an issue either way, wished a knife was uniformly finished or wished the show was grippy and the back was smooth?

Perhaps a textured surface keeps it from sliding around when clipped in the pocket. Or the uniformed look trumps any concerns about a pocket chewer.

Thoughts?

My #1 preference by far, is what Tom Mayo is doing, contoured and punched Ti. But I also like contoured starburst milled Ti or CF patterns.
And I don't like folders with a "show side", but there are exceptions (CRK, Spyderco Drunken, or the Military CF framelock, or a ZT).
Nevertheless, good ergonomics are ensured by the shape of the handle, not its texture IMHO.
I also like wood and bone inlays / aftermarket scales. Polished, no texture necessary.
I often remove pocket clips from folders that are 3" or smaller and carry them in the bottom of my pocket. Much harder to lose them.

Last edited:
Back