Recommendation? Folding Razor blade with some style

Ye ol' Stanlee or some newfangled doo-dad?

• Stanley

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Something else.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
It's summer break for the couple of college kids that come work as laborers at my company and they're there (Braden and Blake, collectively known as B squared). These guys won't carry a knife, scratch that; they'll carry a knife you give them for that day, then they'll loose it at home that very night cause they forgot to return it to you at the end of the day...

Now usually I carry a FB on me and a good folding knife in my bag for backup or to loan to my other couple of work buddies (my two best friends who have their own EDC knives, not random coworkers) knowing they'll respect and promptly return said tool but I can't do that for B2. Trying to be a good crew leader I want to be able to provide them the tools they need but that's not happening with a >$100 knife I have a deep attachment to (the folder in my bag I technically carry as backup).

TL;DR
Anyway I've always used those stanly / generic folding steel frame backlock knives that take the trapezoid shaped razor blade but I'm wondering if there's something better? My sisters GF has a kobalt brand razor knife (same trapezoid blades) with a more real knife looking handle and a button lock, are different types up to par with the trusted Stanley one or if I want dependable is the old ones my only option?
Please note the reason I don't want to just buy them real knives is cause I simply don't have time to maintain them, I already maintain Eddie and Darbys knives for them and a couple 19/20 year old kids who think they're doing great making $12/h carrying heavy crap in the sun all day arnt gonna want to learn to DIY their maintenance or even learn to use them right (i.e. not prying) so a knife with a replaceable razor blade is my requirement for them...

I've got two Craftsman that are fairly decent. Look into those.

Cheap option and be ready to buy more:
Gerber Exchange-A-Blade EAB Lite Folding Utility Blade Knife

More expensive option, but a quality alloy that can be resharpened (though I doubt you want to sharpen 10 of these every few days):
DUSTAR Knives CutterJack Utility Knife

I've got a ton of these, in everything from Craftsman and Husky, to no-name WallyWorld and HF specials. Quality seems to be all over the place, even within the same brand. But, if it's just to be able to give them a cheapie knife, that they may or may not show back up with the next day, any of them will do the trick. None of the ones I have are dangerous at least, bit some just seem to be built or designed better than others.

I'll occasionally pick them up in a three pack, or packaged with a smal flashlight, MT or even a cheapie folder, when I see them on endcaps on sale (especially at Christmas time). I throw them in tool bags and view them as consumables. If I loan one or lose one, it's no biggie, since they end up being about $5 a pop. If your guys are gonna lose them regularly, this is what I'd do. Buy a few multi-packs, and just assume they'll come looking for one once a week.

If you want a decent one, I like this Husky I have. Solid, aluminum scales, with good ergos, and very good blade retention. The lock bar makes it really stiff to open and close, which also makes the thumb stud useless (way too tight to open one handed) but if I have a few of them sitting there, this is the one I grab every time. Think it was $10, but that was 6 or 7 years ago...

EF40DEE5-B420-400D-8295-12ED8BA0D99B.jpg

Personally, I've spent the most time with the old, old style of plain box cutter. I bought my first one for 99 cents 25 years ago to replace an expensive multi tool for cutting up cardboard crates for the bailer. Since then, I tried different funky designs over the years just to return to that old style. I think you can pick them up for $1.99 now. No folding, no fancy angles, no fancy quick release blade or fancy quick handle opening. Just the old, cheap, slide lock, extra blades in handle, flathead screw for openning handle box cutter. Take most of the extra blades out and keep them for yourself so it's almost like the cutter was free to give away.

IMG_20170530_0423325.jpg
Old Stanley has been my only option for over 20 years now when it comes to full on utility knife.

It's got a fixed razor about 1mm and it's indestructible. I don't know what steel it is but it's pretty amazing. I can't believe this thing is still alive. It's been with me through my childhood and outlasted all of knives I've had throughout.

It can even be used to pry paint cans open. It's like adamantium.

A legend indeed.

Back