food contest chat

1066vik

Gold Member
ask questions, babble, snark, be polite.

enjoy!

ps -- here are the rules from the contest thread:

meal cooked outside over fire -- must include using something you made.
some form of Kabar product must be used either in food prep, making fire, or in making the thing.
no commercially made gas/liquid stoves or firepits allowed.​

Last edited:
Awesome of ya brudda. I need to get my butt to the cabin. Actually, it'll probably be awhile before I'm able to...

backyard firepit?
Could, for sure. I was also thinking of a local hike, and coming up with something. Actually, a BK16 is too small for my hands anywhos, but could always use another 5, haha. I sold the last 2 I had. :rolleyes:

I can mod the stock full size handles to better fit your hand -- fill the scales with epoxy then open up the grip a little.
of course, if you had a tweener, you could carve a longer set of scales for it as your "made thing" for the contest.

I can mod the stock full size handles to better fit your hand -- fill the scales with epoxy then open up the grip a little.
of course, if you had a tweener, you could carve a longer set of scales for it as your "made thing" for the contest.
When you let me borrow your M-18, the grip was perfect. We must have similar hand sizes.

pretty close.
if you want to borrow my 9 or 21, let me know.
the 9 has fat bamboo grips & the 21 epoxy filled factory scales.

Could, for sure. I was also thinking of a local hike, and coming up with something. Actually, a BK16 is too small for my hands anywhos, but could always use another 5, haha. I sold the last 2 I had. :rolleyes:

I have 2 5s sitting unused, I could always sell you one.

I have 2 5s sitting unused, I could always sell you one.
Thanks for the offer man, but in all honesty, I sold them, because they weren't getting used.

"no commercially made.... firepits allowed." Aww.... That rules out the great outdoors that extends as far as my back yard goes. If I can escape long enough to get some dirt time, I'll be in.

Blast.... Wrong thread.

Blagh blagh blagh... cooking over a fire.... blagh blagh blagh.

There.

"no commercially made.... firepits allowed." Aww.... That rules out the great outdoors that extends as far as my back yard goes. If I can escape long enough to get some dirt time, I'll be in.

really? don't you still have a 5-sided twig stove prototype?

really? don't you still have a 5-sided twig stove prototype?

I do. I know it's not commercially produced, but I assumed that it wouldn't jive with the spirit of the contest.

There are a few techniques that I've been wanting to try. If I can get out within the time frame of the contest I'll use one of those and maybe post another with the stove as a bonus entry or use it to prepare something to go along with the meal. If not, I'll try them anyways and post the outcome in a separate thread for the fun of it. Win-win, right?

Question... Would it be alright to use the Becker Kitchen knives, even though they aren't Ka-Bar made? Also would it be alright to use a Lodge Sportsman Grill to contain the fire?

Question... Would it be alright to use the Becker Kitchen knives, even though they aren't Ka-Bar made? Also would it be alright to use a Lodge Sportsman Grill to contain the fire?

+1
This is exactly what I was thinking. I was just about to ask the same questions.

Heck, I was planning on building a wood fire in the Sportsman Grill. It's just more viable for some of us living in more urban environments. Yes, that's a sad statement.

do you consider your sportsman's grill to be a firepit?
is it liquid/gas fueled?
if the answer to both of those is "no"........

also - the rules do not say a Kabar knife -- they say a Kabar product.
so yes, you can cook with your ESEE Becker kitchen knives -- but you still have to document using a Kabar product at some point in the process.
and for the record - I suspect a Lake Effect would make an awesome skillet scraper.............. once.

yup - it's not commercial, unless you have a business making them, that is.

Back