"Fooling" with Tooling

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
I have always made "plain Jane" heavy duty sheathes... not much attention to asthetics but very functional. I often admired the talented makers who tool their sheathes into functional works of art but never considered applying this to my own work.

Recently, I have dabbled in "crude" tooling designs and am starting to get the "itch" to take it further. I have new crafting tools on the way...

I would like to curse all the fine craftsmen who inspired me to remove myself even further from my family (and society in general) to pursue this avenue.:mad: My wife is VERY angry with you! It's 10am (I've been up since 530am) and I haven even eaten breakfast... I'm in my shop surrounded by the aroma of wet leather! I hope you are happy..... I know I am!!:D

Sincerely
Rick

Next adventure..... Rawhide!

The first crude attempts at getting my feet wet...

Bushguppy10.jpg

Bushguppy11.jpg

Bushdweller1.jpg

Bushdweller2.jpg

Some pics of my usual style......

OustcastSheath1.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

MCsheath03.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

Very good looking work I say...looks like it would last a loooooong time....even without the rivets.....and that last picture, you gotta keep the dog away when your photographing your work, huh??

Nice work, Rick! Keep it up!

What tools are you using to get that stippled effect on the first sheath? A Pear shader?

Stitchawl

Stitchawl... a far more sophisticated and complex tool was used on those two sheathes... a wooden chopstick!... yes, as in Chinese food for dinner... lol... you work with what you got, right?

Stitchawl... a far more sophisticated and complex tool was used on those two sheathes... a wooden chopstick!... yes, as in Chinese food for dinner... lol... you work with what you got, right?

:D You own me a new keyboard!!!! That is great! I sit here with every tool known to man and I can't create that look, and you use a bloody chopstick?!? I love it!!! :thumbup: I'll bet it was a disposable one too!
I learn something new every day! That's what makes life so good! Thanks, man!

Stitchawl

:D You own me a new keyboard!!!! That is great! I sit here with every tool known to man and I can't create that look, and you use a bloody chopstick?!? I love it!!! :thumbup: I'll bet it was a disposable one too!
I learn something new every day! That's what makes life so good! Thanks, man!

Stitchawl

Ha!...... If you like that, your gonna love my newest texturing tool.... A lava rock from my landscaping in the front yard... very porous... interesting look when pressed into the leather. When in doubt... try hittin' it with a rock!

Maybe I don't need all those tools I have on order?.... he he.

Thanks, man
Rick

Back