For some reason, Emerson has never appealed to me.

I carried my 10 today for the first time in over a month.

I was immediately reminded that this knife is as tough as nails. It feels good to know you're carrying a folder that can handle just about anything.

CQC-10.jpg

CQC-10-2.jpg
I like it and great pics man, i may have to pick up a ten. :thumbup::thumbup:

What makes you think it's not as tough or strong?

You should recall that quite a few have voiced their experienced regarding Emersons developing bladeplay or the lockbar traveling to the far right from rapid wear - whereas other production liner locks seldom encounter this. Yes, I know Emerson has good customer service and they'll take care of it, but it seems counterintuitive for a premium-priced hard-use knife to encounter that dilemma.

Sure, I recall it, but I don't necessarily believe it. Let's face it. One poster here claimed that clipping his knife in his pocket for six months wore the knife out. This isn't possible.

Perhaps some owners have the incredible misfortune to be some of the rare few who have these problems and they manage to wind up here, but I doubt it. I've got more than a few Emerson knives. I have a number of other types too, but one wall of a safe is covered in Emersons, and in fact I've gone one clipped to my pocket right now. I'm not a "fanboy." I'm a user.

I've never seen the problems others have described. Ever. I'm sure Emerson takes care of his customers when they send the knives back, but I wouldn't really know, because it's never been necessary. I've had some of his knives customized with blade grinds and so forth, knowing full well that it probably invalidates any obligation that Emerson may have to take care of the knife under warranty. I do so comfortable with the knowledge that based on my own experience and observations, the chances that these knives will ever need to be sent in for warranty work or service is nil.

Some of the knives I've bought have been well used, around-the-patch several-times knives that are already worn. I like buying used Emersons, in fact, because I usually get a great deal, and I've never bought one yet that wasn't still going strong and still a great value. The CQC-15 in my pocket, I bought knew, and I've abused it somewhat, and it's got a blade regrind I had done, but I fully anticipate it going a long, long time. I've got plenty of spares in the event I do something so boneheaded as to damage the knife, but I haven't been able to do that yet, either. The closest I've come is chipping a blade once, which I dressed out the next time I sharpened the knife. I chalk that up to wear and tear.

I don't consider Emersons to be "premium-priced." I can buy cheap tools, or good tools, and I found many years ago that buying cheap tools meant buying the same tool several times, whereas the good tools last a lifetime. I own a lot of Mac and Snapon tools, as well as several roll-aways of craftsman (great replacement policy). Some of the snap-ons have failed, but they were replaced right away. I don't use cheap tools, and when I say "cheap," I don't refer to the price. Emerson tools aren't cheap, they aren't inexpensive, but they're not expensive, either.

I've got a number of Benchmades, Spydercos, Kershaws, and other production knives, as well as some custom and semi-custom knives, and some decent high-quality, well finished folders such as the Sebenza, and so on. I carry the Emersons. The Kershaws are great little affordable knives, and I really like some of Chris Reeve's work. I thoroughly enjoy my Spydercos. A small cricket is in my shaving kit all the time, and I very seldom am without a Military or Paramilitary. Fantastic, handy, lightweight designs. Nothing against any of them. I once nearly had a fall off the horizontal stabilizer of a C-130, and a Benchmade AFCK saved my butt by enabling me to slice a rope with one hand and avoid being dragged off the airplane. The knife fell, and suffered some damage. Benchmade sent some replacement parts, including a fresh logo. Nice touch. No complaints. None the less, when I want a knife I can count on, one that will follow me around the globe, and one I fully trust in the light or dark, it's an Emerson.

Blade play? Tighten the screw. Liners that don't work? Possibly on a rare occasion, but I really don't believe it's any more than that. Other issues? On a rare basis, maybe. Otherwise, these wild, false claims of knives that wear out in one's pocket in a few months are easily exposed as little more than tall tales and lies. Emerson has posted previously and asked those who make such claims to send him the knife, but it's uncommon to find someone who backs up their claim by producing the problem knife.

I certainly don't have to worry about it, because in all the purchases I've made thus far, not one of them has displayed these problems. None of them have been museum pieces, mind you, but I didn't buy them to put them on display.

Blade play? Tighten the screw. Liners that don't work? Possibly on a rare occasion, but I really don't believe it's any more than that. Other issues? On a rare basis, maybe. Otherwise, these wild, false claims of knives that wear out in one's pocket in a few months are easily exposed as little more than tall tales and lies. Emerson has posted previously and asked those who make such claims to send him the knife, but it's uncommon to find someone who backs up their claim by producing the problem knife.

I certainly don't have to worry about it, because in all the purchases I've made thus far, not one of them has displayed these problems. None of them have been museum pieces, mind you, but I didn't buy them to put them on display.

Tightening the pivot can correct most instances of bladeplay, but not all of them. In the most severe cases, all that will do is increase friction on the pivot, while a nominal amount of play will still exist - especially if the lock is severely degraded.

Sure, the pocket carry/light duty story is likely to be exaggerated and 6 months is a very short amount of time. But that is just one poster, I doubt he speaks for all those who were less than pleased with their Emerson knives.

I don't refer to the price. Emerson tools aren't cheap, they aren't inexpensive, but they're not expensive, either.
That depends on where you draw the line for expensive. While there are 500-1000-2000$ knives out there, productions or customs, that does not necessarily make a 150-200$ knife "not expensive." That is just my opinion though and you are entitled to yours as well.

That's a nice looking 10!

I have read through a lot of Emerson discussion and rarely have I heard of blade play on their knives. Please always remember, the majority of customers are very happy with their knives and don't bother to post about it, therefore the people that complain is a biased representation of population. Blade play on Emerson knives is nonsense--walker liner has been used for decades and so have some of these EKI designs.

For me, Emersons are like Glocks of the knife world. I have run the whole course of pistols and always wind up back to using and carrying Glocks. Same with folding knives. I have owned many brands but wind up selling or trading them and always come back to Emerson's wares. The knives are purpose built for hard use, just like a Glock.

Last edited:
I like the design of several Emerson CQC models and I respect Mr. Emerson as an innovator of the game, but the price tag is way off for me.

I used to feel the same way about Emerson knives. Although I was always attracted to many of their designs I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on one of them when I could get another knife with better materials for the same price. After buying many of the knives I had my eyes on I decided that it might be time to finally experience an Emerson knife. I decided to buy an mini-commander. I was very pleased at first but quickly became disappointed, I felt as if I payed way too much for what I received. I decided to give the knife a shot and so I carried it for a while. This knife quickly earned a stable spot in my pocket. Its light, slim, the g10 is perfectly textured, and feels just wonderful in my hand. I have never felt a knife more comfortable in the hand than that mini-commander. You may think I'm just an Emerson fan boy but you would be wrong. if anything I'm a BM fan, but that doesn't mean I cant appreciate amazing ergonomics and an awesome recurve blade. As for the fit and finish my EKIs have been really good, definitely better than many Benchmades, Spydercos, and other knives I have seen, felt and owned. Maybe I was just lucky, I do only own two Emersons (mini-com and a cqc-12), so I wouldn't be totally surprised if i lucked out. All in all I have to say my Emersons are some of my favorite knives in my collection and they are the only ones which see pocket time at the moment. I fully understand why someone would pass up EKI, but I think they would be making a mistake. If you take into consideration some of the best ergonomics in the industry and the fact that they are made in California, a very expensive state to live and own a business in, then they suddenly become a little bit more appropriately priced.

Good to hear! I think a lot of the complaints on F&F on this forum is unfounded. Of course there times when there are problems out of the box-- like all manufactured goods; but there are a lot of haters here who just like to talk. Haters as in people that never actaully tried the knives but still somehow tries to make a judgment which drives negative herd mentality about the F&F.

People tend to talk about it when they are displeased, but you seldom hear from the folks who never experience any issues. So, for every unhappy owner with a lemon, how many owners never give their Emerson a second thought other than to make sure they have it? By virtue of sheer numbers of Emerson knives out in the wild, there are going to be a few folks that find a problem - and they are going to squeal about it. Understandably so, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a trend. I beat the heck out of a CQC7 back in the day. It was my first folder that wasn't a Case or Hen and Rooster type. Carried it for years. Just ordered an A-100. I'm back.

I like to think that reputations precede and there aren't many other knife companies that can boast the same reputation that EKI does. If they don't offer you what you're looking for, don't buy one.

Personally, I can't wait any longer to experience one for myself and I'm happy to say my first Emerson will be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I ordered a Plain/Satin Mini-Commander and I can't wait to get it in hand. I know that if for some reason I end up not liking it, I can sell it fast here with no problems. I have a feeling I'm gonna love it. :D

Fit&finish/materials aside, is there any reason why the knives (with the exception of the Karambits) have been drilled for RH tip up carry only? Most other competing folders in the same price range are set for ambi tip up/down or 4-position carry.

I don't really think knives need to be made with lefty configured locks, since I've been able to close just about any liner/frame lock ambidextrously, but owners are charged extra just to have the other side drilled.
THIS DOES NOT CHANGE THE LOCK, IT WILL STILL BE A RIGHT HAND LOCK. THE CHARGE FOR CHANGING THE CLIP IS $25.00 PLUS SHIPPING. PLEASE CALL 310-539-5633 FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

Either that or they have to resort to using power tools themselves on the knife, which comes with its own risks regarding the integrity of the knife and warranties.

The oldest knife I have is a 2007 Super CQC7 and the most recent is a 2010 CQC11. Both are only drilled for RH tip-up. Only my 2009 Super Karambit has ambi carry.

Fit&finish/materials aside, is there any reason why the knives (with the exception of the Karambits) have been drilled for RH tip up carry only? Most other competing folders in the same price range are set for ambi tip up/down or 4-position carry.

I don't really think knives need to be made with lefty configured locks, since I've been able to close just about any liner/frame lock ambidextrously, but owners are charged extra just to have the other side drilled.

Either that or they have to resort to using power tools themselves on the knife, which comes with its own risks regarding the integrity of the knife and warranties.

The oldest knife I have is a 2007 Super CQC7 and the most recent is a 2010 CQC11. Both are only drilled for RH tip-up. Only my 2009 Super Karambit has ambi carry.

Well it does have to be tip up for the models with the wave to work. But that's just the waved models...

Well it does have to be tip up for the models with the wave to work. But that's just the waved models...
That's true, though waved deployment is optional and there are are a couple Emerson models that lack the wave feature to begin with, one being the latest Kelly McCann collaboration which is configured for tip down by default.

To me if they drilled for 4 positions that definitely ruins the look of an Emerson

2 positions is sufficient. I'm just questioning the reasoning behind offering a service at extra cost to the consumer to add an extra carry option, while other companies have LH/RH clip orientations on their handles when they leave the factory. Surely it can't compromise the handle strength, and as as been stated plenty of times, Emerson's design philosophy values function over form, though keeping both in a reasonable balance.

I have a Kershaw Auto-Commander, drilled for 3 .positions (since LH tip down would cover the firing switch). Aesthetically speaking, against black G10, the holes really don't present a problem in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back