Forged In Fire joke

Bill DeShivs

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I didn't watch this show originally.
Tonight, I happened to watch several episodes-and the show is a joke.
Not one person ever tempered a blade! Hardened, but never tempered.
The entire premise of the show is badly flawed.

Thy temper the blades off set over night as the second round is the next day. It's entertainment and I don't think staring at a oven for 2 2hr cycles is that entertaining lol.
I really like the show for what it is, yes some things are a bit or bet the top like using car parts. But it's a competition to see what thy can do with what's given to them.

Keep in mind it is no more "a joke" than any other reality-style TV show. Years ago I applied to be a shooter/competitor for the show Top Shot. I wasn't selected, but did get to talk to several of the shows mentors and previous competitors. What is seen during the aired episodes is only about 30% of what actually happens, and obviously they are going for ratings, so what is aired is the conflict and individual confrontations/failures.

Wil, from Forged in Fire, is a friend of mine and the premise for the show is exactly what JT said, what can an individual competitor accomplish with materials on hand, how innovative can an artisan be and how will they handle a set specification that is usually outside their comfort level.

I'm not a fan. Rushing smiths while giving them random materials. And on top of that a panel slamming their mistakes made because they are being rushed. And when they allow the two finallists to work at home, it is to make some random obscure blade type.

I love the show. I get to see a lot of folks I know, or know of, in an entertaining knife related competition that I can watch with friends and my kids. They're not trying to be completely focused on just technical aspects. I'm glad it wasn't just a one season wonder.

Like all "reality" shows the content must focus on being entertaining. I enjoy watching it and think the show is a good thing for the knife community overall.

"Reality shows" are what they are, and so is television editing. You've got to remember that they can't possibly show every little detail of several hours worth of knife making in only 40 some odd minutes of air time. You've also got to understand that it's a competition, and not an in depth documentary on makers or their knives.

Personally, I see the show as mostly positive, as it has introduced me to some makers I'd not previously known about, as well as help to spark my interest in moving from stock removal to forging, eventually.
Sure, there's always going to be some corny bs thrown in for ratings, or something that might have been done better, but given the current knife making related alternatives currently airing on the idiot box (there really aren't any), I'll keep watching when it's on.

I cried myself to sleep when Junkyard Wars was canceled.

FIF is like junkyard wars bladesmithing. I quite enjoy it, even if there are things about it I don't care for.

Next your going to say you don't like Keeping Up With the Kardashians!

I think it's pretty entertaining to see craftsman and perfectionists thrown into circumstances that are the opposite of how they usually work. It also showcases what a great community of individuals there is in bladesmithing.

I watch it with my 3 year old who also loves it. He walks around the house saying "it will cut" and "it will keeeel"! It's bound to get him in trouble at school at some point. I would rather see known materials and a little more time but overall I like it. The only episode I had a problem with was the one with Walter Sorrells. Each contestant was given a different technique to use and some are definitely easier than others. Overall it's pretty neat as long as we remember it's a reality show.

They are coming out with a new show. Forged in 🔥 tempering edition. It reminds me of the Yule log.

I applied to the show did the Skype interview filled out the paperwork .. ba kground check paperwork etc. Told I'd hear somthing after the holidays, time went by nothing so I emailed the producer 3 times ..nothing. so finally sent a email letting them know to withdraw me as I have better things to do than sit around waiting for them,,to be professional Atleast to reply to an email letting me know somthing ,either no , or we are still waiting. I told them I wouldn't attend even if I was guaranteed of winning the show.

Typical

Last edited:
I applied to the show did the Skype interview filled out the paperwork .. ba kground check paperwork etc. Told I'd hear somthing after the holidays, time went by nothing so I emailed the producer 3 times ..nothing. so finally sent a email letting them know to withdraw me as I have better things to do than sit around waiting for them,,to be professional Atleast to reply to an email letting me know somthing ,either no , or we are still waiting. I told them I wouldn't attend even if I was guaranteed of winning the show.

Typical

Why were you sitting around waiting on them? You couldn't go on with your life?

Last edited:
Back