Forged In Fire

I'm surprised that a tread had not been started here discussing this new History Channel show about forged knives.

I think it may have some potential if one can look past all the drama and show hype.

However, I do have my own critique of the show last night. I did miss the first few minutes, so I did hear all of the directions on the knives that were to be made. The only direction on construction that I heard was blade length and the requirement of serrations, which seem to be poor directions for building a knife that had to perform the given test task of stabbing and slicing. Seem a better approach would have been to say make a knife that can stab a barrel 4 inches deep and slice a 2 inch rope. Just because a knife is big does not mean it can perform those task. Seems like the serrations were not even tested, could have required the maker to saw a 2X4 in two. I would think that the serration would have hindered the rope slicing. I wish the show had talked more about the process of making a knife and what makes a good knife. So little time was given to the Katana build that it did not convey any information and the shooting a bullet at the blade was just TV drama.

So what does everyone else think?

Something that I was wondering was if the blades had to be quenched in water. Two cracked blades out of four would suggest it.

Also, I didn't like the time given these guys for construction. To be able to make a top quality competition knife in this time frame wasn't reasonable. Two cracked blades and no one cutting the rope speaks volumes.

Gary

I cant imaging any knife maker worth his salt finishing a knife to completion, all the while knowing it had cracks in the blade. I'm also wondering if they required a water quench. I feel like the promoters pressured these guys in that direction for the drama it would create. That's a shame. If left alone, most of these guys could make a blade much better than was represented on the show.

All that said, I watched it because I am acquainted with some of the guys and just had to see how they presented bladesmithing.

Remember it is TV. I hope by the end we feel shown in a good light. Cracked blades should be instant disqualification.
Maybe the MasterSmith on the judging panel can make some comments after the episodes are over.

I liked it...

Troubled by the cracked blade as well. One judge says the guy could fix it if he put more time into the blade instead of the handle. I ask this...how could you possibly fix a cracked hardened and tempered blade?

Not to mention I could see the grain structure of the steel on the broken blade. Can't fix that by more grinding. I do like the idea of the show though.

Chris

There was so much content to stuff into a one-hour show that it felt very rushed. The editors really have their work cut out for them. It was a blur of grinder sparks, metal getting smashed, and extra focus on anything that went wrong: drama. The broken knife blade tip was more heavily featured than the winning sword, which got about 1 second of airtime!

It would help a lot if the producers toned down the "reality-type" format they're using. You know the type, with the non-sequitous off-camera random comments by the contestants, constantly pegged between two-second blasts of action. It wastes time that could be better spent actually showing what's happening. I'm sure the show will get better as the episodes progress.

Ultimately, I'd say the viewers have virtually no idea who the contestants were, what they did, or what they do.

All that said, I'll be watching every episode, bahaha! :D

I hope the contestants received adequate compensation $$$ for their time beyond the $10,000 grand prize. None of them did anything that would further their careers as a Blade Smith…..quite the contrary. The only guy I know personally is J Neilson (judge) and I'd like to know what he really thought instead of his scripted comments.

I did not think it even came close to the real world of forging and being a Blade Smith.

Paul

Good comments Paul. I know several contestants personally. The best is yet to come. Let's hope others can show off a little more. I do know JD will make the most of his time in front of the camera.😉😉

My son sent me an email telling me about this program.

When I checked the History Channel description it said: “Master Bladesmiths compete to create a Japanesse Katana.”

I watched about 10 -15 minutes until they talked about grinding to fix cracked blades. I am a collector, not a maker, but know that is BS.

I saw no one who I would consider a Master Bladesmith or even an Apprentice Bladesmith.

It would have been nicer to see a "Battle of the Bladesmiths" from an ABS Hammer-in.

I hope everyone stays tuned. Like I said "the best is yet to come". Let's see what The ABS can do. If you know who is on, I am sure we will be pleased in the end. Gary

I'm a tattoo artist for my day job. And when it hit TV,. it all went to shit. Busier.. sure.. but when anything goes mainstream, take punk rock music for example (or jeez even country music for that matter.. look what they've turned it into), the people that would have never given it the time of day will all the sudden be all over it because it's "cool". I think a good informative show on bladesmithing would be great, but when it's geared for TV watchers, it's going to get bad real quick, because who wants to watch a couple guys that know what they're doing ACTUALLY just make a knife. I guess that's why I don't have TV.

I find it hard to explain what I'm getting at, but I absolutely love tattooing AND knife making.. these things that once had some mystery and sacredness to them turn into this goof ball circus and have the life squeezed out of them all for buck. We're about to have a lot more members here soon.

More attention brought to custom knives is great, but there was some bad stuff in the first of this show. The right guy of the bunch did win though.

One thing that I would like to see them change is that knife making and sword making are two different trades and the blade smiths shouldn't be expected to excel at both.

Gary

Movies is magic, baby!!!!!! Or, to put it another way, no, I'm not a "master bladesmith", but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

And there was no mentioning of the tempering process. When the first blade broke it was obvious no tempering had been performed. Why would he strike it like that knowing it was brittle. Plus, cracks like those seen are a deal breaker.

I hope it gets better, but it was entertaining. I would have liked to know the actual steel type instead of just "high carbon steel".

Also, I thought the term "drop point bowie" didnt make sense. He then called it "a camp knife" which I completely agree with.

I will continue watching.

I have heard of one of the four contestants. Matthew Parkinson is a regular on one of the forums, the former Don Fogg forum, IIRC. As for the judges, Obviously i know who J, Neilson is and I had heard of Mr. MArcaida before, but I had to Google him to remember where I had seen him. He is a well know kali instructor. The other guy apparently makes movie props.

Last edited:
Back