Forum Contest, Design the best Tin Knife!

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Alright, after seeing Bills tin knife it got my creative juices flowing. Ive been wanting to do them for awhile now with the cutoff steel that I have around. So......who is up for a contest! Post up a drawing of your tin knife design. Anyone that posts is entered. At the end we will vote for the best one and Ill do a run of them after my orders are done. The winner will get a couple tins full of crap from me. Anyone can enter and you can put in as many designs as you want. Im going to come up with 2 or 3 myself. We will choose on the top three and than vote on those.

These will be bare knives, no handles, although I can do holes for paracord wraps.

LETS SEE EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention to make sure it fits in an Altoids tin. Tracing the tin than doing your design inside might help.

Lets make it three tins. The top three get knives and tin o crap!

Ok Chris,
Here is my design, I'm not a designer or an artist but here goes:
Jimping on top, Large hole at butt of handle, Small hole at ricasso and in front of Large hole, Slight belly on bottom of handle, Steel and dimensions can be altered to preference.

DSCN0503.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my ideas.I'm not a draftsman or artist(obviously),but they'll do.
1 & 2 are off the wall for traditional tin knives,but would be useful.
I forgot to write on the drawing that the stock is 3/4" wide.(each square is 1/8")
#2's first hole would be 7/16" for grip in the pinch hold.
691a6546.jpg

K here goes. Don't mind the top one. I was farting around with the idea for a KFU tintool. Ya know sharped edge, screwdriver pry tip, firesteel notch at the choil, and wire breaker holes and a bottle opener pommel. its early and I'm just making this up as I go along.

photobucket-4243-1328361517321.jpg

And in case you decide on putting a handle on. Here's how the last one would look.

photobucket-3482-1328361033734.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in...
KFUTinBladeComp003.jpg

You can put the holes for wraps or anything else anywhere you want. I wasn't sure where they should go, so I was just toying with locations on these drawings. Most have smaller blades, but larger handles for small work with big/gloved hands. A couple have flat edges for ease of sharpening, making shavings for fire and general cutting tasks, others have curved edges and one is a mini-ULU. The funky looking handles allow index, middle and ring finger room and the forward curve on the spine is for your thumb.

Cool idea (as usual) Chris!!! Thanks for letting me play along!!!

Mike

Not perfect, but you get the idea:

Last edited:
Awesome work guys! There are some killer ideas there. Im working today so I havent had a chance to draw anything yet. I forgot to bring my tin with me, what are the rough dimensionsM Isnt it around 3 1/2" long x 2 1/4 deep? Ill do some on my lunch break

Looking at mine again, it isn't to scale. If it were, it may not work too well, The finger grooves, etc.

Last edited:
Chris, you have the measurements right. Diagonally, you get just a hair under 4". Thats what I'm going with, so I can get an extra finger on the handle portion. I have a couple drawn out, but no time to post them right now. I'll try post em later on tonight.

Last edited:
Chris,

Great idea buddy!!:thumbup: You guys have come with with some kick ass designs!!!

No doubt, we all depend on our blades and tools everyday, and I've always liked the idea of having a "robust" tin knife in my various vehicle bags, backpacks, or on my person. Most of the ones I've seen in the past will get the job done, but they just seemed a little on the smaller size (of course you only have so much area in a tin can...:D). With that said, I've always wanted a little more blade and handle height when it comes to "tin knives", which hopefully will help in the comfort category especially if you have to use the blade for an extended period, and also may help in keeping your finger off the edge of the blade.

Specs:

OAL = roughly 3.75"
Blade length = 1.75"
Handle length = 2.0"
Blade height = 7/8"

Design #1

Design #2 (the "XL" version)
OAL 3.75"
Blade height 1 3/8"

Design #3: The BAT (Battle Axe Tin)

Last edited:
Go a little different direction here:

Last edited:
BTW, all my designs are patent pending. :D

EDIT: Took some meat out of the spine:

Last edited:
Im on my lunch break so I drew a couple out. Im only entering one since I know it will win! LMAO! Its pretty hard coming up with something for that small a space. Ill post it up tonight. Ive decided to get a celebrity judge to pick the best three since I entered and I figure Bill will come up with something. Waiting to hear back from him. Than Ill post a poll where everyone can vote on the winner.
Keep em coming!

Back