Found a Ka-Bar today.. Help Identify it?

I looked online for a bit but couldnt find this exact model.

I found it in an old tackle box i bought at a swap meet today.

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05735.jpg

DSC05737.jpg

looks like a 1233 Skinner but an older version moose or toooj should know for sure nice find

blt-2-drg,

Your knife is a model 1237. Nutoknives: you are close. The 1233 had a 4 inch blade and the 1237 had the 5 inch blade. Looks like a 1960-70s version. Made in Japan.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Holy shit, what a find!!!!!!!

In a tackle box from the swap meet!?!?!?!

Gawd, I love this country. And knives.

Great score, brother, use that fella with pride.

Moose

blt-2-drg,

Your knife is a model 1237. Nutoknives: you are close. The 1233 had a 4 inch blade and the 1237 had the 5 inch blade. Looks like a 1960-70s version. Made in Japan.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives
It's interesting you say it was made in japan, as mine says on the tang:
Kabar
1237 USA

Were all of them marked like this, even if made in Japan?

Also, what can you tell me about the steel on these? Mine has a spot by the thumb ramp that looks like chrome plating chipped off, although I know that isn't the case.

I'll get some pics of mine up tomorrow.

loonybin,

If it says,"USA". It's made in the USA. They were made in both countries. Originally in the US and then moved to Japan and presently in Taiwan.
IIRC, the early models were Chrome plated Cro-Van., so you could be correct. They were then changed to 440A and then comparable steels overseas.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

loonybin,

If it says,"USA". It's made in the USA. They were made in both countries. Originally in the US and then moved to Japan and presently in Taiwan.
IIRC, the early models were Chrome plated Cro-Van., so you could be correct. They were then changed to 440A and then comparable steels overseas.
Thanks! I have more questions about this knife and another one I have, but I'll start a different thread so I don't hijack blt-2-drg's thread.

Back