Free sharpening?

calyth

#!/bin/sh of a man
What should I do with my Spyderco to get it sharpened by the pros? I don't have money for the 204 and I really don't want my freehand skills wreck the lovely Endura.
Thanks in advance.

Send it back to Spyderco with payment for return shipping and they will sharpen it up for you. But once you include to and from shipping you are about at 1/3 of the cost of a Sharpmaker 204.

And I gotta phone them about return shipping right?

calyth, IMO, you should call Spyderco Warranty and Repair to verify the address that you will be sending your Spydie to and also to double check on the shipping charges that you must send with it as well, especially since you hale from Canada. I called, just to make sure that everything was correct, and my Spydie made the trip and back safely and swiftly.

When I sent my Native back for regrinding and sharpening, I was only charged $5 for the return shipping and $5 for the regrinding on the serrations!! They will do a great job on your Endura and you'll get it back as good, and sharp, as new. I sent mine off on a Monday and recieved it back on Wednesday of the following week.

I would also suggest that you look into getting that 204. It's very easy to maintain that factory edge with this system, and you can actually put a better edge on your blade than what the knife came with from the factory. Take the plunge. I did and haven't regretted it since. I don't use any other system on my Spydies.

Good Luck. :D

I recognized that so much testimony from reliable people means the Sharpmaker is a nice piece. But having about 10 bucks in the bank doesn't quite help right now.
God... isn't it great to be a student?

Calyth,

You're facing the external knife nut problem. You save up enough for a 204 and then decide to spend the money on a new knife instead.

Based on my experience, go for the 204 as soon as you can afford it. It's easy to use, comes with great instructions, and will last a life time.

I've seen them as low as USD 42 plus shipping. You may want to post in the wanted to buy section since there are always people moving up to a professional system like the EdgePro who may be willing to part with their 204.

Are there any Forum members close to your location that have a 204 you could try out?

I've seen it, but I didn't really try it.
The problem is that the tip was slightly impacted (yes mistake of my count) and I've smoothed it out, however I had to use freehand sharpening because I don't like how the gatco leave marks on the blade.
I'll probably sent it in, get it re-done and get the 204 when I have the cash. (that would be a while.)

If you don't want to part with it for that long you may want to try Sean's Sharpening House in Kerrisdale.

He'll do it right in front of you and you can tell him exactly how you want it done. Only cost ya $4 Can. Try him if you like...

He's done my AFCK twice and has done an execellent job on it. Although he knows me so he does pay more attention to it.

You can e-mail me if you want the number and address for that.

The 204 is great but might not be that effective for your 'impacted' tip.

The impacted tip wasn't really that bad... It took less than half a mm. Somehow carpeting could do that to my knife... Stupid carpets.
The thing is I've already kinda fixed the tip. It's now shaped like a very lightly rounded tip, however it was my hands that did a bad job. I just couldn't keep a consistant angle.
I'll probably send in enough cash for them to fix it anyways.
I've been to Shawn, and I didn't like what was done to the M16 that I brought in.

Back