Friction folder

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I made one of these several years ago with stag scales. This one is all micarta with an 1/8" micarta spacer. The blade is 4" long, 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide A2 steel, the handle 4 1/2". I still have to heat treat the blade.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 410.jpg
    Picture 410.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 411.jpg
    Picture 411.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Picture 412.jpg
    Picture 412.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 115
Scott,
Your new designs are making my want list grow.I would love to see your interpetation of a classic bowie design. Great work as always.

Mike

Yo Scott,
A real nice clean, slick design. Very practical, is it going to be a new member of the Gossman line? I bet R&D Estela Inc. can appreciate this design. Keep up the good work.
Mike

Yo Scott,
A real nice clean, slick design. Very practical, is it going to be a new member of the Gossman line? I bet R&D Estela Inc. can appreciate this design. Keep up the good work.
Mike

Yes, I plan on offering them as soon as I tweak the design and get it all figured out.
Scott

These will definately be a part of my line up. I worked on a few problems today and got it where I want it now. The blade stays in place when opened or closed. Even downward shaking, the blade stays in place. I've got enough tension to keep it "locked" in.
Scott

Scott, for my next order, I definitely see a friction folder and "Mother Tusker" on the list ;).

Thanks guys. I've got another in the works, osage orange scales, natural linen micarta spacer, A2 steel. Same size as this one. The blade is 3 3/4" not 4". The osage orange will be for sale. Should be finished by the weekend.
Scott

I've been working out the bugs in this design. I've got it where I want it but being handmade, no two will be exactly the same. These are all hand profiled and shaped.
What I'm doing is using barrel pivets for the blade and stop pin. This allows me to adjust the blade and tail tension so when it is opened, it will not close without a little effort. The same when the blade is folded into the handle. It will not open without alittle effort. They will be similar to a slipjoint only safer because they will not snap shut under backspring pressure.
Scott

I've been working out the bugs in this design. I've got it where I want it but being handmade, no two will be exactly the same. These are all hand profiled and shaped.
What I'm doing is using barrel pivets for the blade and stop pin. This allows me to adjust the blade and tail tension so when it is opened, it will not close without a little effort. The same when the blade is folded into the handle. It will not open without alittle effort. They will be similar to a slipjoint only safer because they will not snap shut under backspring pressure.
Scott

As someone who has been bitten by powerful backsprings, thank you. How much extra for pouches?

Got to see them today, and hash out my order. Great looking folders, very functional. Smooth too.

Have you considered making a friction folder based on your PSK blade? I think that might be a winner.

Have you considered making a friction folder based on your PSK blade? I think that might be a winner.

Yes I have. I've thought about asking a production company to mass produce a folding PSK knife also but I think a PSK friction folder would be a neat addition for a kit.
Scott

Back