" froe " ? Schrades new schf64 /what do you think

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
https://youtu.be/7GqgToOMx04
I'm normally an axe / hatchet guy all the way, but I actually like the idea of this tool. the batoning method can sometimes be easier for making kindling ( especially for people with no business using a hatchet ), and sometimes just seems better than using a sissy stick.
It's obviously not a tool for everyone, but I like the idea and the 20$ price range seems good too.

What do you guys think about this new to come tool ?
( I know there are other similar tools out already, but the length the cross section and cost seem ideal on this one )

I think if batoning is really its intended function it could benefit from being thicker. But most of Europe has been batoning their kindling for hundreds of years already, usually using billhooks and related tools. Seems a fair value for about $20, but I think we need to find a better term than "froe" to describe tools like this, as it has to be driven through the material more like a hacking knife rather than an L-shaped eyed froe where you only baton into the wood to set the blade in the work and then lever to split. I believe I've seen the term "knife froe" used historically, but don't recall for certain.

https://youtu.be/7GqgToOMx04
I'm normally an axe / hatchet guy all the way, but I actually like the idea of this tool. the batoning method can sometimes be easier for making kindling ( especially for people with no business using a hatchet ), and sometimes just seems better than using a sissy stick.
It's obviously not a tool for everyone, but I like the idea and the 20$ price range seems good too.

What do you guys think about this new to come tool ?
( I know there are other similar tools out already, but the length the cross section and cost seem ideal on this one )

Buck knives markets a baton specific knife as a froe. And Mora markets the farrier knife they sell as a kindling froe. I think this tool is destined to share the name with the traditional froe. In my opinion batoning is about what you could do if you needed. And about what you can do with a limited amount of tools. Or, what you can do with a knife. I would choose a large knife over this tool and only have to lug one tool. As a tool to hang near the fireplace? Sure if you are into that kind of thing. But I am guessing this is aimed at the camping bushcraft community. I think it is a miss.

Ha, ha. I suggested one of these these, but with a less formal handle, in a thread years ago. That would probably bring the price < $20. There were some polite responses, but most sages said "nooooooo".

I don't get it. Seems like just another thing to put in their list of products. Hopefully a bunch of people will buy them and they'll make a million. I won't be one of them. They are trying to specialize a knife by hiding the knife into being a chopper. And yes, I am a pro-batoning man.

It is a knife froe, I think. I've seen antique ones.

Really not a bad idea if one needs to make a lot of small kindling, though I noticed at Harbor freight last night that a "machete" is only 4.99 :). I've been thinking along these lines as I have large piles of small (2-3") cedar branches that would keep me in excellent shape for kindling for decades.

It is a knife froe, I think. I've seen antique ones.

Really not a bad idea if one needs to make a lot of small kindling, though I noticed at Harbor freight last night that a "machete" is only 4.99 :). I've been thinking along these lines as I have large piles of small (2-3") cedar branches that would keep me in excellent shape for kindling for decades.

The only problem with that is that machetes are thin, and cheap ones like that never have good steel.

I think the quality of steel and precision of profile needed for a kindling froe may be greatly exaggerated :). The "regular" old froe I have seems to be either wrought iron or mild steel.

PS the old harbor freight machete I have is almost useless for anything. I hang it on the back of tractor to whack at stuff when mowing, but it is only marginally for that. Maybe they've changed, but that one is too thick in my opinion to work well as a machete...

Back