Fun with damascus

Danbo

Platinum Member
Here's a little utility knife I'm working on. The damascus is a piece of Kevin Cashen's O1/L6 ladder pattern. I ground it, and Nick Wheeler was kind enough to heat treat it for me. That big hole in the middle of the handle was done with a drill press and files(some of us don't have milling machines). Overall length is about 5.75" with a cutting edge of a bit over 2". No tapered tang on this one. Handle slabs are undecided at this point, but I'm leaning towards some ivory. Hit me with some brutally honest opinions!

I like it. The steel is beautiful, good clean grind and a good using shape and size.
On the down side, it seems a waste to hide that beautiful Damascus. It would have really looked good with no handle scales at all. Too late for that now so I would use really nice material. Ivory would be stunning!

To be brutally honest.......your picture taking skills suck as bad as mine. Ivory would be a great choice, or sambar.

Yeah, that's lookin good, beautiful damascus. You seem to have made all the right connections. :D I like the idea of ivory too, but it does point out the downside of full tang damascus knives - too much purty gets covered up. It's not too late to taper that tang! Let's see it when you're done, and the sooner the better. Thanks for whetting (ahem) my appetite!

Nice looking work, I would also suggest tapering the tang, looks really nice IMHO even if you don't need to do it to balance the knife.

You can go wrong with some nice burl scales or if you want to keep it kind of stealthy go with some african blackwood, the stuff finishes out great.

Again, nice work. I am anxious to see it completed.

Yes, nice pattern.

I really like the 5" to 6" size....makes for a handy-dandy knife. I was going to comment on the large-ish finger choil...but given the size, that seems about right. Glad to see you got at least 2 inches of blade out of it.

Re: handle slabs = I'd go with something very thin. Maybe, make it just a 1/16" smaller than the tang. That way you can see the snappy pattern go 'round the tang.

I like it a lot. That way big finger choil is a great idea. makes the knife look a lot bigger than it really is.
Ivory would compliment that blade alot I think.
If you want to make all these guys happy you could always make the handle scales 1/16" or so smaller than the tang. leave a little of that purdee steel showing all the way around :D

Hey Danbo! So this is the little one you've been working on.
Looking good!
Great size...tho you know I'm partial to handy utility knives.
I like the pattern of the damascus and I don't think you'll be able to beat an 01/l6 combo. By Kevin Cashen with a Wheeler heat treat, no less. :eek:
I like the oversize finger choil and I'm sure the grind is great.
Would Ivory even work if it was shaped thin and put on as recessed scales? Would it chip out? Something to consider.
Maybe go with full ivory scales and have some fluting that mimics the damascus pattern. Tough to do but I'm sure it would look awesome.
If you go with recessed would a stabilized wood work better? It might not be the look of a nice creamy ivory but you'd get to see more of that damascus.
One thing I like about seeing an unfinshed blade is the almost limitless possibilities. The only limits are, will the materials work and will it look good.
Have fun...nice knife and don't forget to post the finished work.

I love the wave that runds down th edge. HEll.....Dont put a handle on it.
Ivory would be nice or even sambar stag but the ivory would make the damascus pop. Given the shape of the handle A thin slab material would be nice and that would make the knife apear larger than it is. 1/4" thick but no thicker.
Love the plunge. Wish mine were that "silky".

Great looking knife! Grinds look very nice as does the design and steel. I agree with the African Blackwood for material, you'll be much more likely to use it.

I vote for no scales - maybe a bit more time with the files to even out the holes.

Lookin' good bro! I like both the blackwood and the ivory options, with a slight preference for the latter.

Roger

Aiko555 said:
I vote for no scales - maybe a bit more time with the files to even out the holes.

Since this little knife probably Rockwells at about 60, I don't think I wanna try to file on it anymore. No, it's gonna have to have some slabs. :)

Danbo said:
Since this little knife probably Rockwells at about 60, I don't think I wanna try to file on it anymore. No, it's gonna have to have some slabs. :)

60, that would be a 400-410F temper for about 1 hour, with respect to the particular quench, of course. Sorry I pretty much know that steel inside and out ;) Wait a minute- I do know that steel inside and out! :D (the behavior of my first born child is more of a mystery than that steels)

Dan I have a running account with the local hardware for files ;)

Looks good, the cut outs should reduce weight for ballance and the grinds look good, the overall shape should be a good user. I too vote for ivory, should be a nice combination.

You want some honest advice? Have Cashen finish it :p

Seriously, nice work Danbo. Looks like a well thought out and well executed design.

If you don't like the olive wood I'm sending you, then send it back. I only have a few choice blocks left.

Kevin-

I arrived at 60Rc by heating it with 7 propane torches, quenching in Extra Extra virgin goat urine, and tempering at 65F for 4.375 days. :D

-Nick-

Back