Funky Forged Boot

Well my box showed up, today. One Drop Forged Boot and one Recon 1 Tanto Plain Edge.

The Recon 1 is what I would expect. Solid, good looking knife, albeit a little difficult to deploy. That's just me getting used to the thumb stud and Triad Lock (I have an AD10 as well). I'm used to a Spydie Manix 2 XL. Nice big thumb hole, cross ball lock to drop it shut. Ez out, ez in. Nah, the Recon 1 is everything it should be (so far). The Drop Forged Boot, on the other hand... eh, I realize these are not expensive knives, I wasn't expecting perfection. I also wasn't expecting a knife that was visibly asymmetrical. It is pretty uneven. I will try to add some pix, once I get finished with some things I have to take care but, meh.

Anyone else been through this with the DFB? Is mine just a Monday knife? Or is this common? Once I get the pix up, y'all tell me if I'm being too nit picky.

I order directly from Cold Steel. So I am hoping they have some kind of "if you ain't happy, send it back policy".

What, if any, experience do y'all have with that particular knife OR with sending things back to Cold Steel.

Thanks

Well my box showed up, today. One Drop Forged Boot and one Recon 1 Tanto Plain Edge.

The Recon 1 is what I would expect. Solid, good looking knife, albeit a little difficult to deploy. That's just me getting used to the thumb stud and Triad Lock (I have an AD10 as well). I'm used to a Spydie Manix 2 XL. Nice big thumb hole, cross ball lock to drop it shut. Ez out, ez in. Nah, the Recon 1 is everything it should be (so far). The Drop Forged Boot, on the other hand... eh, I realize these are not expensive knives, I wasn't expecting perfection. I also wasn't expecting a knife that was visibly asymmetrical. It is pretty uneven. I will try to add some pix, once I get finished with some things I have to take care but, meh.

Anyone else been through this with the DFB? Is mine just a Monday knife? Or is this common? Once I get the pix up, y'all tell me if I'm being too nit picky.

I order directly from Cold Steel. So I am hoping they have some kind of "if you ain't happy, send it back policy".

What, if any, experience do y'all have with that particular knife OR with sending things back to Cold Steel.

Thanks
Good to hear the recon 1 is as expected.

That’s unfortunate about the boot knife, mine came very symmetrical all around. Can’t recall any similar experiences to yours with that knife. If it’s that noticeable, yeah try contacting them for an exchange.

If you decide to do that, can you let us know how they handle it? That would be good information to have, considering all the claims here that Cold Steel’s warranty is worse than it was before they were bought by GSM.

Good to hear the recon 1 is as expected.

That’s unfortunate about the boot knife, mine came very symmetrical all around. Can’t recall any similar experiences to yours with that knife. If it’s that noticeable, yeah try contacting them for an exchange.

If you decide to do that, can you let us know how they handle it? That would be good information to have, considering all the claims here that Cold Steel’s warranty is worse than it was before they were bought by GSM.

Thanks, have an ODD question tho - I was gonna tell them that I am fine with store credit and just throw a little more on top of it and get the 5.5" Warcraft. My son is buying me a San Mai Master Tanto and it would be nice to have a beater to keep some of the miles off the MT.

HOWEVER, I'm reading the description (on Cold Steels page) and it says "with a flat ground primary cutting edge and a chisel ground secondary blade bevel, ". Whoa what?

I've had some of their push knives that were only ground on ONE SIDE of the blade. That is what I call "chisel" ground. Every review I have watched of the Warcraft shows it being ground on BOTH sides. In fact, in most of the videos, it appears to be like any other Tanto - hollow ground main edge, flat ground tip. What am I missing here? I absolutely do NOT want a tanto that is only ground on one side. That is not even remotely appealing to me. Failure to communicate? More reading comprehension issues? Surely they don't really chisel grind a freakin tanto?!?!

If you mean only the final edge grind , that's not too uncommon .

Easily fixed and not a warranty issue , but some sellers will take returns for any reason .
No, unfortunately I mean - when you look at the flat side of the blade, the line between the two halves does not start in the center.

And - when you look directly at the edge, towards the bottom where it is not ground, the edge is not in the center of the thickness of the blade. I will try to get some pix up but it jumped out at me.

I've got a couple each of the Survivalist and original DF Bowie, all came perfectly fine. On the other hand, the 9.5 Bowie came with wonky, thick grinds and a serious warp. I'm not mad about it because I paid less than $50.00 for it and it's still fun to use.

Notice how the cut in the watermelon is kinda curved to the right:
20220612_125703.jpg
20220612_125926.jpg

I've got a couple each of the Survivalist and original DF Bowie, all came perfectly fine. On the other hand, the 9.5 Bowie came with wonky, thick grinds and a serious warp. I'm not mad about it because I paid less than $50.00 for it and it's still fun to use.

View attachment 2474907
View attachment 2474908

Yea, I can see the cut. That's nuts.

So.... does anyone know why the CS website says this:

Look under "specifications". I have never seen one video of one Warcraft that is ground the way they are explaining. I will call them tomorrow but, until then, if someone understands what the heck is going on here, please clue me in. I have an old Safe Maker that is "chisel ground", have they started to use that term to mean something else?

View attachment 2474907
View attachment 2474908
Nice wrap ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yea, I can see the cut. That's nuts.

So.... does anyone know why the CS website says this:

Look under "specifications". I have never seen one video of one Warcraft that is ground the way they are explaining. I will call them tomorrow but, until then, if someone understands what the heck is going on here, please clue me in. I have an old Safe Maker that is "chisel ground", have they started to use that term to mean something else?

I would assume it's just chisel ground and they're using too many words to say it. Odd.

Nice wrap ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks! They don't always turn out that way.

I would assume it's just chisel ground and they're using too many words to say it. Odd.

Thanks! They don't always turn out that way.
Yea except for the fact that i have watched half a dozen or so reviews and have not seen ONE that is chisel ground. See what I'm saying - it's a misprint or something. Has anyone ever seen ONE chisel ground Warcraft Tanto? Ever? Find one video, one picture, there is no such thing (as far as I can tell).

I should have a couple minutes to get them on the phone today and find out what the deal is.

when I get out of work, I will try to get the pix up. Figure about half an half. Half of y'all will be like "it's a $50 dagger" and the other half will be "I've confiscated better looking shanks in prison" :D

Back