• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gangs of New York Bill “The Butcher” Cleaver & Knife For Sale

Archer Here

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Gangs of New York Bill “The Butcher” Cleaver & Knife For Sale - Influenced by the Movie “Gangs of New York”
Been wanting to do these since I saw the movie. Hope you like them. I’ll be adding it to the web site in the next week or so. These two are for sale, separately or as a pair.

Just Release a Youtube Video on these. Thought I’d copy it into the thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdK-LrSdJY8

GangsofNewYorkVideo-ProductPage.jpg

**** The Cleaver is SOLD! Knife is still available AND DROPPED TO $110. ****

Bill “The Butcher” Cleaver
Total Length = 17 3/8”
Blade Length = 8 7/8 “
Blade Width = 5 ¼ “
Blade Thickness = 3/16 “
Handle Length = 8 ½ ”
Handle Width = 1 “
Handle: Walnut. Scales attached with pins and glued.
Weight = 2 lbs 6 oz
Hand Etched “Bill the Butcher” on the blade.

William Cutting Knife
Total Length = 14 1/8 ”
Blade Length = 8 ¾ “
Blade Width = 1 ½ “
Blade Thickness = 3/16 “
Handle Length = 5 3/8 ”
Handle Width = 1 - 1 ¼ “
Handle: Walnut. Scales attached with pins and glued.
Weight = 8 oz
Hand Etched “William Cutting"
The knife can be sharpened, but I made as a shank.

Price for the Cleaver: SOLD!
Price for the Knife: ** DROPPED TO $110 **
Hand Stitched Leather Sheath available for $29 each.
Shipping within the US: $12.

You can send payment through Paypal to ScorpionBows@yahoo.com or mail M/O to our address (see web site for address).

5160 spring steel. Normalize 3 times, heating the steel in temperatures of approximately 1500 degrees, until it becomes non magnetic and letting it air cool. Heat hardened & quenched. Heat tempered to 550.

Background of Bill “The Butcher”:
William Poole (the basis for the character “William Cutting” in the movie "Gangs of New York"), also known as Bill “The Butcher”, was a member of the New York City gang the Bowery Boys. A bare-knuckle boxer, and a leader of the “Know Nothing” political movement. He was also the head of his own West Side gang.

The Native Americans used Poole as their chief “enforcer.” As a butcher in real life, Poole (wielding the knife of his trade) could accurately hit a target from 20 feet. The Irish-immigrant gangs of Five Points, who owed their allegiance to the Democrats of Tammany Hall, were afraid of Poole. Even the Dead Rabbits (whose chief “slugger” carried a dead rabbit impaled on a pike”) avoided him.

100_9260b.jpg

100_9296b.jpg

100_9276b.jpg

100_9274b.jpg

100_9297b.jpg

100_9248b.jpg

100_9256.jpg

Last edited:
Those are great and they would be a great addition to a "Gangs of New York" collector. They really deserve to be kept as a pair!

I would freak if I went into the grocery and saw my butcher with these! He definately would have my respect! And I wouldn't be complaining about how much fat was left on my steak!:D

Thanks guys. I was really looking foreward to making this pair. I love that movie. I never held a meat cleaver until I made it. :eek:

That cleaver looks fantastic! Very cool!

Thank you.

**** The Cleaver is SOLD! Knife still available. ****

Is there a function to the other 2 edges on the cleaver? I always assumed he just used actual butcher knives, I never noticed that they may have been modified. I guess he throws it?

Is there a function to the other 2 edges on the cleaver? I always assumed he just used actual butcher knives, I never noticed that they may have been modified. I guess he throws it?

Well, this cleaver is designed to deliver a punishing backswing, which makes it more versatile. Would be interested in hearing more about that front edge and how it's ground.

Perhaps, but wouldnt the back of it be sharpened then too?

I think I recall him throwing it a number of times in the movie. I'd think thats why. They don't serve any practical purpose for actual butchering do they?

very cool knives by the way.

Perhaps, but wouldnt the back of it be sharpened then too?

I think I recall him throwing it a number of times in the movie. I'd think thats why. They don't serve any practical purpose for actual butchering do they?

very cool knives by the way.

Backswing only requires that point, sorta like the spike on the back of some tomahawks. Don't know enough about thrown blades to comment on that other than to say it seems to make sense. Seems more like a display item than a user or thrower though. User would probably be thicker (and unfortunately heavier) and a thrower would probably be softer steel. This cleaver is sorta like a functional and collectible movie prop. I agree it is very cool, and if I had the extra cash this week I would've gotten it myself.

As far as the back two edges, I just put a slight bevel on them to give them the look of what it looked like in the movie. Wasn’t sure if that meant to be sharp or not, but this one isn’t on those sides. They could be sharpened though.

The front edge is a flat grind.

You could use them if you like. They are functional.
Thanks for the comments.

Thanks. It was a cool movie, wasn't it. One of my favorites.

The knife part of this set is still available.

Back