Garbage Pickup Service Killed my Neighbor

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Republic Services killed my neighbor... or at least made us think she had died.

Last Saturday, while mowing my yard, I caught a whiff of the unmistakable smell of death. The rancid sort of stench that entices buzzards and warns of decomposition.

My neighbor has a number of cats on her property, well cared for from what I can tell, but every once in a while one tangles with a dog or finds itself under a rolling wheel and dies. It's unfortunate, but it happens. So I didn't pay the smell much attention.

Until an hour or two later when the neighbors from the other side of her house knocked on our door. They were inquiring as to when the last time we'd seen her was. Come to think of it, it's been a few days. It seems the rancid stench I'd noticed earlier was permeating their back room and they feared the worst.

Immediately stories of grandchildren expecting the smell fresh baked cookies, but blindsided by decomposing hydrocarbons and the sight of grandma's bloated, cat nibbled corpse come to mind. What a lovely Saturday.

We knocked on the door and got no answer. The car was in the drive, but there were no signs of life inside. Fantastic.

We're not the sort of neighbors that have each other's spare keys; I don't even know her name to be honest. So we had to call the SAPD for a wellbeing check.

I love these guys. They were here within minutes. They set about poking around the house, trying to determine whether or not they needed to gain entry to her home.

Luckily, toward the end of their search one of the officers opened her trash can at the end of the driveway. Now I know this seems like an obvious place to have checked for a smell, but given that the can had been out since Wednesday and our trash was picked up on Thursday I didn't even consider it as the source.

I don't know what foul manner of thing is in that can, but we can rest knowing that our elderly neighbor is probably away with family rather than becoming ultra-budget fancy feast.

Now, this all took place on Saturday. I called Republic on Monday morning to have the missed can picked up. I was told, after a great long while spent on hold, that they couldn't do anything because it wasn't my trash. I wasn't the account holder.

It's a death can full of foul smelling filth that you failed to pick up as you've been contracted to do and is now engulfing the neighborhood in a cloud of awful, but you won't pick it up because it's not my trash? Fine. I told them to pick it up against my account and I'd move the can in front of my house. That apparently was an acceptable solution. They'll be there by the end of the day.

Well, the end of the day Monday came and went. Maybe tomorrow? Nope. Tuesday has now come and gone, but the death can remains. After another era of my life on the phone I was told that they'd definitely, maybe be here tomorrow to pick up the source of our weekend debacle and that I could expect a call back from an "operations supervisor" within 48 hours.

They don't pick up the trash reliably, on my street at least, and they killed my neighbor. What exactly are we paying for?

I thought it an entertaining story so I decided to share. Republic is a national service. Anybody else have issues?

We have had Republic Services for several years with no problems. If I absolutely had to come up with a complaint it would be that they sometimes leave the top of the emptied container open when rain is threatening. Even when we leave limbs or debris stacked next to the street and call them, our response time is better than what you experienced. This is in Jefferson County Alabama.

That's a real garbage(pun!) experience, man. I know if my disposal people skip my place for just one week it gets pretty nasty, especially when you've just eaten a dozen or so hardshell crabs and they're just rotting inside your trash can. Brings out the raccoons and the opossums, haha.

Going to the dump is part of my Saturday morning routine. My dog rides shotgun. I think I'd miss it.

I'm glad to hear the neighbor is ok.
I once had to call for a wellness check and it did not turn out as yours did. It sucked big time.

My roomy had been a good friend and it hit him very hard.

I don't know if this is an option: here, under those circumstances, you report to the city via 311. You can call and/or photograph problem and upload on Internet. The city opens a case, begins to investigate shortly, and usually the situation is resolved in a matter of minutes to hours.

I can report someone else's trash as posing a problem, etc., and they have to remedy the situation. If they overlook someone's trash, they have to come back ASAP and collect.

I have used Republic for something on the order of 20 years. They have been reliable. I sometimes get a bit irritated with their biling. I asked them to explain their "administrative fee" and they referred me to their website which essentially says they are charging the fee because they have administrative costs..... Well, woop de dooo...... All business have administrative costs, but they usually build it into their pricing. I am just about to start contact one of the three or four garbage services that hit my area.

...we had to call the SAPD for a wellbeing check.

The previous owner of our house was found deceased during a wellness check.

Our garbage collection here is pretty reliable, but they're notorious for not coming back for missed pickups.

~Chris

The previous owner of our house was found deceased during a wellness check.

Our garbage collection here is pretty reliable, but they're notorious for not coming back for missed pickups.

~Chris
Yeah, they never did come back to get it as a missed pick up, just got it with the next week's collection.

Yeah, they never did come back to get it as a missed pick up, just got it with the next week's collection.

I just realized that my post made no sense. "Reliable" and "missed pick ups" make no sense. But ours is the same situation - they usually just wait 'til the next week's pickup.

I just realized that my post made no sense. "Reliable" and "missed pick ups" make no sense. But ours is the same situation - they usually just wait 'til the next week's pickup.
No, I get it. Everyone screws up every now and then. You can have good reliability and terrible service, or terrible reliability and great service. (*cough* Benchmade *cough*)

One of my complaints about Republic is they vary the pickup time considerably. One week it's 4:00 PM. Next week it's 9:30 AM. Next week it's 12 noon. Then 2:30 PM. I like order and this makes a difference to me. They will come back for a missed pickup (if I call) or if I fail to get my can out, but it's often a couple days.

If I am home, I'll put out the container. But I will generally keep adding to it. First stuff I missed inside the house or garage, then yard waste until it's near full.

Back