Gator scutes?

See #110 the big white faced calf in the middle?

ytoppSD.jpg

He was a bull. Then he had a surgery and toro........ no mas.

uvBkomf.jpg

I've always wondered, isn't there some small part of you that *really* doesn't want to do that? I mean God bless cops and cowboys. I couldn't do either job...

Sorry to hear about your back Omega! I hope you will get better soon :)

Good luck with the surgery and wristband! ;)

See #110 the big white faced calf in the middle?
snip

ooookay, there went the balls... nice blade for the work... :)
now that you got me curious, do you cut the whole thing off or do it like with cats and sheep where you make a small incision, pull the content out and twirl it off? also do the calfs get sedated?
see... that kinda thing happens when you get me curious.

Ya don't even think about it much buddy. Its an absolutely necessary part of production. No one wants a bull steak thats for sure. Monday at our local sale bulls brought $1.35 a lb and steers brought $3.15 plus. Thats because no one wants to eat a bull. Then you have all the problems that bulls bring like wanting to fight everything, seeing fences as mere suggestions genrally to be ignored etc. etc. We have experimented with a couple of banders ( a device that tightens a rubber band around em cutting off the circulation causing them to fall off). However we did not find them to be as humane as a knife used well. Can take 30-60 days for the bander to work, about a minute with a knife most of the time. There are many different ways of actually doing the castration. My friend Steve pictured above was trying a new technique he'd seen. Although it worked well he didn't like it because of how he had to cut towards his hand. While the calves are not sedated, they are restrained. Their front feet are held (roped) by one person horseback and their back feet held by another rider. The riders jobs are to hold the feet slightly off the ground. The calf needs to push off the ground with their feet to struggle, so we try to hold the feet off the ground. I can honetly say the calves object more to the restraint than the castration or the branding.

Ha, no need to argue about the point of castration :) thanks for the info. Always interesting.
Our cats got castrated in a way the doc saw with sheeps in Scotland. Just a small cut on the sack to push the gonads (right word?) out and then twist the clamped sperm ducts till they basically fall of, the remains retract into the sac afterwards. Found that highly interesting.

My pleasure! And thank you for the shark and python!! I'm saving them for my first high end knife!! :D
Good deal, like to see it when you're done.

Dave, I'm not sure that answers my question but I'll accept it. Two things that I hate... Blood & cold weather. Not on principal, but because there's a stupid physiological reaction to both. Balls make me squeamish too if I'm honest. Okay, that's probably juvenile, but... Balls!

Same goes for deer hunters. Those of us who hunt for food will pass on a big buck, it tastes awful! Trophy unless you have the means to soak the heck out of it for days in a salt bath. Nasty. A doe is much better overall.

Anthony, let see the pics when you're done. Where did you get your gator? I've seen it on ebay, but wasn't sure if I should buy it from a reputable dealer.

Paul's,
Beautiful sheaths as always. Where do you recommend getting your gator?

David

Anthony, let see the pics when you're done. Where did you get your gator? I've seen it on ebay, but wasn't sure if I should buy it from a reputable dealer.

Paul's,
Beautiful sheaths as always. Where do you recommend getting your gator?

David
I made a trade with my buddy kaizo. He mentioned in another thread where he purchased it, but I cannot remember.

Will do with the pics. ;)
Did you castrate it?

Ken
It's a girl bird. My wife was soooo pissed that I was "flirting". I barely touched its butt feathers!

What pier is that buddy? Can't say I recognise the background.

What pier is that buddy? Can't say I recognise the background.
You know that surf board/souvenir/bait/rod rental shack on the Pismo pier? That's it in the background.

Chili over there still. We were going to go to Hume, but it was below freezing and a chance of rain at least one night.

My heart is with the mountains, but I'd rather touch a pelican than a squirrel. Last time I did that the thing bit the crap out of me. Drama...

Geez I've been to Pismo a gillion times. Guess I'm always looking the ther way out to the water. Still I should of recognized it. Yeah it can get cold up at Hume. Still early in the year for up there. Havn't gone anywhere in a while. Going to Santa Barbara in Jun. Going to do a show there. havn't set up as a vendor in years.

Geez I've been to Pismo a gillion times. Guess I'm always looking the ther way out to the water. Still I should of recognized it. Yeah it can get cold up at Hume. Still early in the year for up there. Havn't gone anywhere in a while. Going to Santa Barbara in Jun. Going to do a show there. havn't set up as a vendor in years.
Which show??

http://californiobridlehorseassociation.com/code-7/code-12/index.html

This one. Click at the vendors info link at the bottom of the page to see how they want us to set up. Thats not cool but thats what we gotta do.
That's kinda bizarre. I've never heard of setting up shop on the bleachers. So basically your table will be about ankle height? Hope there aren't too many nefarious types running around...

Keep your eyes open, I'd hate to hear you lost some merchandise.

Btw, I was reading about the California Grizzly the other day (yeah, I know) and they had the same vaquero painting on the website about the bear as the painting on your link. Apparently the bear was hunted to extinction by the Spanish cowboys. :( The last one shot was here in Tulare County. I didn't even know that California was its own country back then.

There's been some talk of bringing other grizzlies back to California, it would be cool although I wouldn't want to run into one. Seen enough black bears and those are scary enough to the kids.

Back