Geo. Schrade Knife Co. "Stagbrand" with odd handle

scotl

Gold Member
I bought this "Stagbrand" knife by Geo. Schrade Knife Co. that looks like a "154" and includes what appears to be the original sheath. Both the knife and sheath are in near mint condition. It's the handle on the knife that puzzles me, though. It has this plastic faux antler handle that I have never seen before and it makes it look like a "Steak Knife". Did George Schrade make steak knives? If he did, did they come in a set where each knife had it's own sheath or were they sold individually?

IMG_1533.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

That is the third example that I have seen. I think it was sold individually as a bird and trout knife. I can't be sure.

Well that makes me feel a lot better. I like the knife a lot and I'm happy to know that it's fairly scarce, but I'll take a bird and trout knife anytime over a steak knife.
Thank you

Well that makes me feel a lot better. I like the knife a lot and I'm happy to know that it's fairly scarce, but I'll take a bird and trout knife anytime over a steak knife.
Thank you
Geo Schrade had a series of five fixed blade hunting knives available in either leather handle or styrene. This is the smallest of the series.IMG_0205.jpeggeo Schrade Stagbrand.jpg

Last edited:
Geo Schrade had a series of five fixed blade hunting knives available in either leather handle or styrene. This is the smallest of the series.View attachment 2253607View attachment 2253610
Thank you, Codger. I am truly honored that you would respond and provide this graphic. I have been a student of your writing and posts for many years now and credit you with my laser focus on Schrade and Schrade/Craftsman knives. I think there should be a "catalogue d' raisonne" of your writings produced and made available as an educational text.

Do we know the production dates for these knives and were they available with the styrene handles throughout the production run?

Back