Gerber E-Z out ATS-34 fails spine whack test

I never bought on of these because the tips were so thin and I saw so many that were broken off. The other week I found one that looked like the blade had been ground to be stronger and for harder use so I bought it. I really like this knife and the tip is pretty strong now and I wonder if Gerber redesigned it this way or if I got a "defect".:D The one thing that bothers me is it failed the spine whack test miserably. I hardly hit it and it folds but if I put gloves on and try to make it fold like I was breaking a stick with 2 hands it holds strong even as hard as I can! I wonder why the lock acts this way and do you think this is acceptable? I think it might be because the blade tang and lock bar are slightly rounded and this causes the lock to slip when you whack it. Other then this it should make a great "beater" work knife, it is also very smooth for a lock back knife.

Edit to add it only cost $36.00 and you get ATS-34! Good deal!;)

The Gerber EZ out ( not ATS 34) was my first try at a replacement to my old Buck 110 for a working blade. I was working on a moose digging out a bullet,lodged in between some ribs and the blade folded on me. Gave me a nasty cut. It is the only folder ever did that.

That is to bad, I hope you are ok!!! I have stabbed it into some wood hard to try and get the lock to fail but it holds. Only when you hit the spine even lightly does it fail. I'm not sure I trust it fully and will use gloves if I have to use it hard or just use a different knife!:eek:

I wonder if Gerber could be liable if someone was cut bad because thier lock failed? If I was Gerber I would deffenitaly re do the lock to be much better like a Cold Steel lock!

Although overall I think the lockback is the weakest type of lock out there just by design. But then you have lock backs like Cold Steels that are very strong. What do you think?

I had a similar experience to hdhist. I was digging something out of a windowsill with an EZ Out Jr. & it folded at the slightest pressure. Lock gave out, finger got cut. I tested it again & the lock consistently failed. Least-safe knife I've ever owned, I threw it away, rather than endanger someone by giving it to them, and will not buy another Gerber product.

I have also had an e z out jr close on me. I haven't, and won't buy another gerber....ever

Folders are funny things. I had a CS lockback fail on me just trying to cut 3/4 in. free hanging rope - with the sharp edge, not a spine whack test! Who knows?

The only folders I trust completely are slipjoints, you know what they will and won't do...

I just know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I can't resist. It's like that old joke, "Doc, it hurts when I do this", and the Doc says, "well, don't do that!"

Why are you spine wacking a pocket knife? This folding knife is meant for slicing and cutting chores, not stabbing, wacking and prying. Of course, my general pocketknife uses never call for a lock on the knife anyway.

I've had good luck with my EZ-outs. I didn't like the first one I bought (ats-34) a number of years ago. It chipped if it thought something hard might be in the same area code. The last couple have been their standard blade material and I've been happy. I snapped the end off of one, but I was beating it up pretty hard. I just re-ground it which was quite simple. I've never had any of my EZ's close up on me. On the other hand, my Kershaw BOA caves as soon as it gets the chance. I've never had a knife fail anywhere near as much.

If it fails a light spine whack, get rid of it. You may not have found any other way to make the knife fail yet, but eventually you might, and your fingers may not forgive you for it.

BTW, I love the EZ-Out overall as well -- love the blade shape, totally love the handles. My early-production EZ Out has the same flaw as all those earlier models: the backspring is so loose and weak I just don't trust it.

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
If it fails a light spine whack, get rid of it. You may not have found any other way to make the knife fail yet, but eventually you might, and your fingers may not forgive you for it.

BTW, I love the EZ-Out overall as well -- love the blade shape, totally love the handles. My early-production EZ Out has the same flaw as all those earlier models: the backspring is so loose and weak I just don't trust it.

Joe

My same feelings Joe! I really like the blade and the handle. I just wish the lock was more secure! Do you think Gerber would fix this concern or tell me that is abuse...a light spine whack?:rolleyes:

for five years. Never had it close on me. I think the worst thing I did with it was to open a restaurant size can of olives (BOTH of the counter mounted can openers broke). I had the first production run with 450 stainless. Not a bad knife. Could use a stronger backspring, though. YMMV.

Frank

I've owned a combo edge for general duty and never experienced problems with the lock, but have chipped the tip. I've never really pushed this knife with hard tasks, but used it for, camping chores, general rope cutting, food prep in a pinch, etc. I consider it a beater knife and for $26.00 on sale it works fine. for the right price, I would consider a smaller plain edge, but that is unlikely as I carry a vnox-scout for everyday usage in my briefcase. A fine tool for a cheap price.

Originally posted by SilverFoxKnows
for five years. Never had it close on me. I think the worst thing I did with it was to open a restaurant size can of olives (BOTH of the counter mounted can openers broke). I had the first production run with 450 stainless. Not a bad knife. Could use a stronger backspring, though. YMMV.

Frank

Just FYI, from very hazy memory, I think the "450" stamped on the blade is the model number, and the actual steel was 425M or something (this was on the very old models, like the one I have). They upgraded to ATS-34 a year or two later.

Joe

This is kidna off topic, but I have a Gerber AR 3.0 that fails the spine whack test with a light tap as well. Gerber probably needs to make their locks a little better...

Originally posted by SkagSig40
My same feelings Joe! I really like the blade and the handle. I just wish the lock was more secure! Do you think Gerber would fix this concern or tell me that is abuse...a light spine whack?:rolleyes:

I only have a little experience with Gerber customer service, but it was actually quite good. Still, spine whacks, even light ones, are controversial in the industry, so it's anyone's guess as to whether or not they'll make things right.

Joe

why it didn't hold an edge for too long. I kinda figured 450 was some proprietary steel. Thanks for the info.

Frank

I agree with Danbo, folder have limits. But then again, in my instance I was using it it a very "knife " like fashion. Sliced through some hide, cut through some meat, and then was working around some ribs from the outside. I snagged a bone with the tip,a commom occurance with a working blade and next thing ouch :) .
Anyway my Micheal Cooper liner lock:eek: now does all this and more without fail.

My EZ Out is one of my oldest knives and I've never had it close on me. Granted I don't use it as "hard" as some others might, but still. And I have absolutely no problem with my Boa either and I carried that knive daily for over a year. Maybe I just have good luck with this kinda stuff.

My favorite EDC as of late.Really like it.Never pry with it and do a lot of sticking it in wood.(test for rot)Serrations work good for trimming siding.
Really like it.
Randy

Back