Gerber Spectre...blech

Recieved my Gerber Spectre plain edge today...never have I been so disapointed in a $90 knife. The blade DOES hit the spacer like other people have reported, the grind lines were the most uneven I've seen (no kidding, as bad as import cheapies), it was duller than a butter knife, it didn't open smoothly, and it was WAAAAY too difficult to release the liner lock. There's barely even a cutout in the handle, and the liner doesn't stick out any, and it seems like it gets caught on the blade tang or something because I would press really hard and then all of a sudden it would release. Not very cool to me. It's on its way back to Cutlery Shoppe.
I don't know if that was representative of all Spectres, or I just got a bad example, but I would not recommend this knife to ANYBODY. There's dozens of better knives for that price and less.

The Airframes and Spectres look pretty good but I think Gerber could put some work on their QC.

I thought my sample Spectre was an ok knife though - reasonably sharp out of the box and locks up tight with no blade play. Apart from the blade hitting the spacer and lack of a scalloped area to access the thumb stud, I have no complaints.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Yeah, reading back, I should qualify my post with the fact that I had just recieved my Spectre, and I was looking for all the flaws or things I didn't like. It's not a HORRIBLE knife, I just think it's a bad deal at $90+. Considering that you can get a BM AFCK for $65 right now, I don't think it's worth my money. If you're happy with it, that's cool.
Also, upon re-examination, I also decided the clip was poorly done. It's tension was much to high, and there wasn't enough space between the clip and the knife to slide onto my bluejean's pocket. I think I'm gonna track down an EDi and see if I like those.

where you is? waiting to hear from you!

------------------
russ aka BladeZealot{former screen name: russ, 850 posts-DEC."99}
a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

to all you cat lovers...does the tail get in the way?

Back