Gerber Suspension Compared to Leatherman Wave (pic heavy) UPDATED WITH SAW TEST VIDEO

I purchased the Suspension mainly for it's pliers,I think I paid $27.00 at Wal-Mart for it and I have some mixed feelings about it,the quality isn't as high as my other Gerber tools to include the 600,however it isn't a cheap Chinese POS either,here's my take on it (forgive the poor quality pics I had to use my Kodak ZI8 which is a decent camcorder but not a great camera)

Sheaths: The Suspension sheath isn't terrible but I have some issues with it,first off the 1"/.5" velcro patch doesn't retain very well,second is the stitching is coming apart on mine (not show in pics) however it is light weight and offers vertical and horizontal carry,compared to the Leatherman Wave there is no comparison the Leatherman wins hands down

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension2.jpg

Compactness: The Suspension in the closed configuration is actually quite bulky and much wider than the Leatherman Wave,again the Leatherman wins

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension1.jpg

Pliers: One major plus to the Suspension is the plier head,it's spring loading using an internal spring system as opposed to the coil spring seen on cheaper tools like the Winchester Winframe,the disadvantage to the pliers is they don't open very wide,the pliers between the Wave and Suspension are a tie

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension13.jpg

Plain Edge Blade: The PE blade on the Suspension is a disappointment to be honest,it's made of Gerber's "mystery" 425M stainless steel and is very short (2 inches) , additionally the shape of the blade isn't preferred by me for EDC use,the Leatherman Wave wins again

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension3.jpg

Serrated Edge Blade: The SE blade on the Suspension is also a disappointment,while the shape on this blade is fine the steel is still quite soft and the 2 inch length adds some major restrictions,the Wave wins again

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension4.jpg

Wood Saw: The saw on the Suspension blows,it's far to short,thick and dull to be very useful and it doesn't cut very well at all compared to the Leatherman Wave,again the Wave wins

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension5.jpg

Scissors: The scissors on the Suspension are superior to the ones on the Wave,the spring is much stronger the blades cut much better then the ones on the Leatherman Wave,the Gerber Suspension wins in terms of scissors

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension6.jpg

Phillips Driver: The phillips driver on the Suspension offers better reach than the on on the Wave but the Wave has the advantage of removable/replaceable bits,the winner of this category is the Wave for versatility

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension11.jpg

Large Flat Driver: The large flathead driver on the Suspension and the Wave are virtually identical,this results in a tie

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension10.jpg

Medium Flat Driver: The Gerber Suspension does not come with a medium sized flat driver so in order to get this capability I had to order a separate bit set,the Wave wins in the department due to it being better equipped

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension12.jpg

Small Flat Driver: The Gerber Suspensions driver has more reach but it also wider,the Waves is much smaller making it better for eyeglasses and is reversible to a small phillips driver,the department is up to you to decide

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension9.jpg

Can Opener/Cap Lifter: The Suspension has a 2 in on tool where as the Leatherman Wave has a one piece multi-function tool,the can opening abilities on the Wave re better but the cap lifter works better on the Gerber,this results in a tie

LeathermanWaveVSGerberSuspension8.jpg

Overall the Wave is a better tool but is also twice the price of the Suspension,as an EDC tool the Suspension will function but is overall inferior than the Wave,for $25.00 - $30.00 it isn't horrible but the Leatherman Wingman/Sidekick might be better options.

Last edited:
Very thorough comparison. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

BTW, the pics were more than adequate.

Hey - why buy a Suspension, when you can pay twice as much and get exactly the same thing but with Bear Grylls' name on it? Very nice review, btw.

bear.jpg

Hey - why buy a Suspension, when you can pay twice as much and get exactly the same thing but with Bear Grylls' name on it? Very nice review, btw.

bear.jpg

Lol the BG tool is kind of a gimic but it's not the first time Gerber's done something like this ,the Method,Ripstop,Evo,Tread and Resolve are also basically the same to right? Overall though the BG one can still be used just the same I suppose and if your a BG fan I suppose it may be better for you.

I decided to see how the saw compared against other MT brands,the final verdict is ,it doesn't in any shape way or form

[youtube]BWGIK06eDRc[/youtube]

Last edited:
Back