German knife reforms

I have been reading bits and pieces about new laws in Germany. effectively banning one-hand openning and lockback designs. Also regulating the legthes of blades. Even though I live in the states and sure don't plan to leave. This rather concerns me. How is this going to effect Boker in the now and in the future. Sure "Magnums" and "Plus" lines are made overseas and are focused on global sales, but "Tree Brand" knives I can't help but to think their market is still over 50% local consumption. Does anyone have a link (in English) they can post detailling these law changes? Has anyone heard what Boker's stance will be? Is now the time to be buying any Solingen knife you have ever remotely considerred buying before ... as tommorrow it may not be made? Just thumbing through the latest catalog ... this is a lot of current designs potentially being effected. Not to mention where is the incintive to produce such models down the line?

I believe they have laws protecting knife manufactures as long as they are exporting product.

Mozzy,
first of all, it is not illegal to buy, collect or carry one handed opening and lockable blades! You can have a non locking blade, which can be opened with one hand or you can have a lockable blade, that you have to open with two hands.

The government made a restriction cause of the "young criminals". In the past, the patrol officer has now chance to take one of these knives away, unless a crime was committed. Now, as soon as he sees a pocket clip he can ask for a "leagl reason", why this knife is carried.

As a good citizen, you are certainly still allowed to buy, collect and use these knives, as soon you need it for:
work
sport
hunting
fishing
hiking
etc.
You have to use it for a purpose, that requieres a knife. Then it is still legal.

Or, you can carry these knives, but not ready accessible in a backpack, purse, hip bag etc.

They restricted also the length of the fixed blades. So, you can carry DAILY a 4,7" blade without needing a legal reason for it.

If you need a bigger blade for your job, sport... same as with the one handed folders, carry it in a back pack...

So, we will try to make our folders with a removable thumbstud, that every customer has the chance to carry a one handed folder or a conventional two handed folder.
And we will try to produce more knives with max 12 cm of blade.

I hope, I could explain it a little bit, cause English is not my native language.
I am also no lawyer!

So, it is like: Matches are illegal but lighter are still good!
We have no choice, we have to obey the law and live with it. The criminal, certainly does not care about the law (by definition) so the only persons, who a affected by these are the citizens, manufacturers, collectors who all obey the law!
Sad but true!

lol Tobias...

*walking east while carrying all my Böker blades ON me, 3 hours away from committing illegal activity on German soil* :D:D:D

Anyway, I hope such cavil policy won't make it across the borders. Funny thing is throwing knives are legal in Germany while balisongs are not, it's vice versa in the Netherlands.

I read that more people are attacked with screw-drivers than by knives.
Oh, Well!

Careful, Lycosa, or they'll start banning screwdrivers! Everyone needs to keep in mind that the motive of governments in restricting/banning weapons of any kind has absolutely nothing to do with combating crime (obviously, since criminals don't obey the laws anyway). Rather, governments--as entities--seek to expand their power over the citizenry by slowly eating away individual liberties. And, historically, many peoples have reacted with justifiable violence to this encroachment against their freedoms. Thus, governments assign the very highest priority to the goal of disarming its citizens.
It really is just as simple as that.

Well that sure sounds better than the way I have heard it conveyyed. I had taken this as an outright ban. Maybe being in the US spoils me a tad. Since we do have the right to possess weapons (within limitations) for the intent to protect ourselves ... it's guaranteed by our Constitution. Knives I general regaurd as tools ... tools that yes can hurt you or others, but show me a tool that can not be used as a weapon in a pinch! Your English is just fine. I understood everything you said completely. I also agree that all one is doing is penalizing otherwise law-abiding citizens. I do often carry knives on my person, that if found by local LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) the very act of carrying, could get me into some legal troubles. I personally think the laws are ridiculous and choose to disobey them. I have no intent to commit "other" crimes with my knives. If they wish to label me a criminal over my knife choices - well so be it, but frankly I'd hope they are a tad too busy catching real criminals. If pushed into a corner. You bet, they'd would be used as a means of defense. I can worry about judges and lawyers AFTER I walk away. As they say better to be tried by 12 (jury) than carried by 6 (pallbearers). Thank you for the clarifications though. It's a relief (of sorts).

Last edited:
Careful, Lycosa, or they'll start banning screwdrivers! Everyone needs to keep in mind that the motive of governments in restricting/banning weapons of any kind has absolutely nothing to do with combating crime (obviously, since criminals don't obey the laws anyway). Rather, governments--as entities--seek to expand their power over the citizenry by slowly eating away individual liberties. And, historically, many peoples have reacted with justifiable violence to this encroachment against their freedoms. Thus, governments assign the very highest priority to the goal of disarming its citizens.
It really is just as simple as that.

You can have my screwdrivers when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands !!!!

Alright, Mozzy, you asked for it! I'll just get my pliars and force you to release your grip on.....what?....a ban on pliars? Well I'll just use this letter-opener and....what?....letter-openers are banned too? Okay, well.....fine, Mozzy, keep your ol' screwdrivers!

lol Tobias...

*walking east while carrying all my Böker blades ON me, 3 hours away from committing illegal activity on German soil* :D:D:D

Anyway, I hope such cavil policy won't make it across the borders. Funny thing is throwing knives are legal in Germany while balisongs are not, it's vice versa in the Netherlands.

Not for long on the Balisongs and autos my friend:eek:.

Had some illegal tress passing on german soil the other day too uhumm ; forgot a big locking thumstudded one in the glovecompartment:D.

I did not dare bring it in the Gaststube to cut my schnitzel ..:D The Bittburgers were nice..though.

Planning a vacation in Paris/Brussel, have to leave my knives at home and now I already feel naked... Otherwise - "Breaking New: Knife-wielding maniac forces mime players to talk?!" Or should I try with a loaf of bread?:jerkit:

Back to the subject, if the goverments think they will make the society saver thru such cavil policies, they must go to the ultimate - banning water, for it causes more deaths than knives on annual basis.

PS Tobias, does Böker offer other Fred Perrin blades, say triple action, besides the four seen on the site?

Planning a vacation in Paris/Brussel, have to leave my knives at home and now I already feel naked... Otherwise - "Breaking New: Knife-wielding maniac forces mime players to talk?!" Or should I try with a loaf of bread?:jerkit:

Back to the subject, if the goverments think they will make the society saver thru such cavil policies, they must go to the ultimate - banning water, for it causes more deaths than knives on annual basis.

PS Tobias, does Böker offer other Fred Perrin blades, say triple action, besides the four seen on the site?

Right now, we are not offering more than these four knives. But maybe, we will be able to add a few in the 2009 catalog!

the weird thing with the law, is that you can use EVERYTHING to commit a crime. A car, a flatscreen a chainsaw... whatever. But you cannot grab this as easy as you can say "one handed operating and lockable blades" are now kind of restricted. It is not a crime, when you do carry these. It is more like, parking in the wrong spot. You will get not a note in your records.

I personally (Just my private and personal opinion!!!) like it. I carry knives, since I am five or six years old and I haven't never every did something wrong with it and I won't do!
First, I obey the law and second, I will not risk losing my 500 EUR knife for something stupid.
For me, a knife is more important than my watch, my cell phone or my id.
I f I forget something at home, no big deal. If I forget my knife, I feel really naked, but I have a great office with many fine cutting instruments :D

I do not wish to know, where this will lead to...

I agree with you Tobias. I think politicians globaly see the terrorism threat as an excuse to restrict good citizens with these ridicule laws.

I guess i will do this going to foreign countries:

I would bring a small good quality non-locking slipjoint for opening packages and stuff and a not to high priced up to 4 inch fixed blade if i plan camping and hiking etc.
Maybe buy a fixed cheap blade locally for camping and ship it back home before flyin back home.

I think it has to do with common sense. Don't flash arround your knives in public places. Don't bring it going to urban restricted areas .

We already have police legislation rules in our major cities The Hague Rotterdam Amsterdam . All blades ban in restaurants /bars /disco's in city centers.

He MOI;

Spyderco made a limited sprint run black bladed green zytel handle of Freds FB 04 ( the larger on).

http://www.perrinknives.com

I think you can get it through Fred's knivesite or his dealers. You could also try this site for his kiridashi's;

http://www.riversandrocks.com/shop/index.php/cat/c748_Perrin-Knives.html

Don't forget Armes Bastille :: 61 rue de Lyon 75012 PARIS France and Couteaux Courty 44, rue des Petits Champs F-75002 Paris ( to screw up your holiday budget LOL ;) )
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Marketing, a 500 EURO folder!
I'm interested. :D

Well since bali's are legal how about a Boker balisong. :thumbup:

That would be sweet.

Marketing, a 500 EURO folder!
I'm interested. :D

Well since bali's are legal how about a Boker balisong. :thumbup:

That would be sweet.

This is not only a job, I am lucky, I can live my job. I am in knives, I guess, since I was 4 or 5 years old... so, I do not get many knives a year, maybe one or two... this is it.

Who says, Balis are legal in Germany? These have been made totally illegal since 2003. No buying, collecting or carrying!!!

Lucky bastard!!! How can I apply for this job?:p Anyway, the Solingen trip you offer is quite tempting, and the survival course...

€500 knife?! You must be EDC-ing the Damast Trench Knife ^^ The idea of removable thumbstuds is quite interesting, but will it be applied to the entire price spectrum or only the lower priced/real use blades? Because I don't like the site of a Damast folder with removable thumbstud, just like a Damast automat.

Is it correct that Böker still doesn't have an official dealer/distributer/importer in the Netherlands? Aren't the two big guys (Adola and Homeij) interested? PS Homeij recently had a "little" issue with Kershaw, juicy story.

Maarten, could you also provide me the adress of monsieur Perrin so that I can stalk him?

We will try to change our production line, but it will take a while.
If possible, you will get a tool to take the thumbstud away. Certainly, there are a few models, it will not wokr, cause the thumbstud is at the same time the stop pin in the open position... or your knife will open in a 90 degree angle and point to the sky :D

But for the future, we try to avoid to make the thumbstud automatically the stop pin.
the other thing, we already shortened some blade to the maximum blade length of 12 cm.

... You know, right know, I do not EDC a Boker...

Hey, do you want to come every morning to Germany for work?

Back