Getting first folding knife

Hi, I want to find my very first folding knife and come up with either 3" vanguard dukes or flashbang. May I ask what is the differences between these 2??

There are a lot of similarities between the Vanguard Dukes and the Vanguard Flashbang. They're both designed by the same knifemaker, Matt Cucchiara, so it's to be expected that they share some genetic ties.

They are both liner locks with the same blade steel and handle material. They are practically the same size and weight. What really separates and distinguishes the knives will come down to personal preference.

In this area I give the nod to the Dukes. I like the straighter blade shape of the Dukes. Recurves, like on the Flashbang, can be tricky to sharpen...although they can aid in cutting.

I also prefer the handle of the Dukes. It appears more ergonomic, although that is entirely subjective. I also think the Dukes offers more grip with the milled handle grooves vs. the smooth G10 of the Flashbang.

I own a Vanguard Dukes, I don't own a Vanguard Flashbang, so this could be influenced by personal experience. I do own the Vanguard Dorado and love that knife. Either way, the Kizer Vanguard knives are a great value and will serve you well as a first folding knife. You've made some good selections! Welcome to the knife-life!

Back