Getting rid of half stops.

Getting rid of half stops, (I don't like them). Is it possable? Has any one tried grinding the half stop kick off between the bolsters and or liners?

You know, when the blade of a slipjoint stops halfway open.... and closed. When I get a slipjoint started open with my thumbnail I don't want to have to reset my thumbnail again when the blade comes to an abrupt stop halfway open. I'm a grown man, I don't need a half stop.

I've rounded them a bit with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel to smooth the action a bit. I suppose you could continue in that manner and remove the resistence completely. I generally do a little damage to the liners in the process, though. You'd have to be very careful, and you need a dress stone to flatten the edge of the cutoff wheel, otherwise you won't get the very edges of the blade tang.

Just take the knife apart and grind off one corner of the tang and put the knife back together again.

I've rounded them a bit with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel to smooth the action a bit. I suppose you could continue in that manner and remove the resistence completely. I generally do a little damage to the liners in the process, though. You'd have to be very careful, and you need a dress stone to flatten the edge of the cutoff wheel, otherwise you won't get the very edges of the blade tang.

That sounds like an idea! The dress stone is a great tip, thanks. I might try to fit some .002 or .003 thou. shims on the sides to protect the liners. I would love to try this on my Case Swayback.

If the knife had a half stop and it was anywhere near flush in that position it
will likely cause problems. If you can take the blade out and radius both corners
without taking any metal off the very end of the tang it may work. If you do take
anything off the end of the tang it will likely be loose anywhere near that position.
Ken.

If the knife had a half stop and it was anywhere near flush in that position it will likely cause problems. If you can take the blade out and radius both corners without taking any metal off the very end of the tang it may work. If you do take anything off the end of the tang it will likely be loose anywhere near that position. Ken.

Thanks for that input. Too many times I try to mod something only to back myself into a corner. :( I will rethink this for sure!

Kodiak

I put half stops in most of my knives for one
reason, to keep my clints fingers in one peace.

Some knives close so fast that some people get
their fingers in the way, well chop chop.

James

I toataly understand. It's a nice feature for inexpierianced users and those who like half stops. I'm just not one of those people. :D

I ain't exactly inexperienced, and I still appreciate the extra effort that goes into a well-executed half-stop. ;)

It's not that simple, most if not all slipjoints are pinned together.

I didn't say it was simple. Describing what needs to be done is simple. Yes one would need to drill the pins, disassemble the knife, grind the corners and reassemble with new pins.

Back