GG&G BattleHawk

I haven't handled one but it's obviously a fighter-only design. Looks like both the point and the spike would penetrate pretty well. I like the sharpened trailing edge but it would be nice if the leading edge were also pointed/sharp so you could thrust with it a little. My old Two Hawks Warhawk has that feature.

I hope you get some input from an actual user.

DancesWithKnives

I haven't handled one but it's obviously a fighter-only design. Looks like both the point and the spike would penetrate pretty well. I like the sharpened trailing edge but it would be nice if the leading edge were also pointed/sharp so you could thrust with it a little. My old Two Hawks Warhawk has that feature.

I hope you get some input from an actual user.

DancesWithKnives

there isn't much about fighting in that design IMHO, brother. - note the mass.

a fighter is an ounce per inch of length, or less - that hawk is more than three times past that ratio. - so if that thing is 13.25 inches long it should weigh 13.25 ounces or less, to be fast and agile enough to be considered a fighter (again, in my opinion).

beautiful work though - a good wrecker. good digger.

i met the guy who made it at the SHOT SHOW, and he and i will hopefully do something together in the future - i really liked him.

vec

Your point about the weight is well taken. I had not checked the weight but had focused on the edge/spike configurations.

I think this hawk was designed (in the sense of "intended") as a fighter but you are correct that there is a problem in execution of the design---they made it very heavy for its size.

Best of success in working out some new design collaborations with the maker.

DancesWithKnives

Your point about the weight is well taken. I had not checked the weight but had focused on the edge/spike configurations.

I think this hawk was designed (in the sense of "intended") as a fighter but you are correct that there is a problem in execution of the design---they made it very heavy for its size.

Best of success in working out some new design collaborations with the maker.

DancesWithKnives

well, i don't want to sell the design short - it has its uses, and they are valid ones to me - it just isn't really a hawk.

they can do as much for us, with their beautiful machining, as we can for them, with our lightweight and strong composites, so i am hoping we can do something, especially in a curved handle - oh, mama....

it's a good tool.

vec

I have one. I like it. It's heavy and the sheath is top-notch from David Brown. It's a good chopper and pry. From a fighting standpoint, I wouldn't want to be hit with the flat, spike or blade. It's long enough to be used as a leverage point amongst the limbs close in and the design permits a high or low grip. It's a crusher and a piercer/cutter. The cutting edge is fairly compact. You'll need to be fairly strong to use it effectively due to the weight (it feels like a hammer in the hand to me) but it has bomber tough one-piece construction with grippy rough Micarta scales.

Welllll, I'm not a battle hawk kind of guy and for that money you can buy A BUNCH of hawks. Who ya gonna fight with it?? ;-))))

Regards

Robin

That's what bothers me about so-called "tactical" tomahawks -- way too much weight is in the handle. I never did like that design. I also don't like the flat stock type head for a regular tomahawk. Now, if someone made a "tactical" head with cheeks ramping up to the poll. . .

Re: the weight:
If it's too heavy to be a "proper hawk", it just means it's a "proper battleaxe"!
:D

I was given one as a gift but I haven't found anything that I feel it's particularly good at. Due to the weight I assume it would be an awesome wrecker but I haven't found anything to destroy as of yet.

I thought I would just ask on this thread since a few people here bought the BattleHawk. Did you get the DVD that came with it? And if so, what did you think?

Back