Ghillie Suits.

Gunner

BANNED
I was wondering what you guys think of ghillie suits and what options they should include. I am starting to make them and want some info from the possible users. Which is prefered frayed or solid burlap? A BDU set base or chaps and jackets set? What ever other options you think of let me know. Of also a net sewn to the base then burlap tied to the net or strips of burlap sewn directly to the suit? Thanks. And Dr. Ron thanks for all your help. Geoff Mitchell. Oh also my nick is knifeman on Ron Hoods Hoodlums, Jeff Randall's ezeboard as well as Newt Livesay's ezeboard and BlackHawk on the knife forum. Thanks Guys.

Gunner...

Looking forward to working with you more in the future. We will be using Gunners suits in our next tracking video were we will be discussing camoflage and counter tracking as well as more advanced tracking topics.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Hey Ron,,Geoff....

Ghillie Suits...

Interersting topic...
Hords of different ways of making them...

I prefer a pull over suit to BDU's for a few reasons.. The first being BDUs can be a little to confined... Another reason,, you can't carry a Camel Back with it..

With a pull over you can have the option of tightening or loosening the suit in varoius places such as waist, chest, arms and feet.

In colder climates you maybe SOL if you have to wear several layers underneath,, but if they are Big,, you can always fit into them. A Hood on a Ghillie suit is a must! If not a hood at last some type of headgear...In hot climate,, it may be toooo hot.

A pull over also allows you to pack it in a ruck sack and deploy it quickly,, as well as peel it quickly... You have the option of wearing as much or as little underneath.

There are obvoiusly problems with both, the pull over being far more time consuming as a jacket and pants have to be patterned out and sewn together. Straps installed and all the other cool stuff that goes with it...

I like to use the same kind of mesh you find on the sides of baby play pens and pick them up every time I see them in the garbage! This material can also be bought at several places. Once it's dyed black small slits can be cut into it,, and the burlap can be tied on..

On to the burlap..
Definately frayed burlap is the way to go. It will break up the pattern of your body better,, and looks far more realistic than straight cut strips.

I've had a very hard time finding good quality burlap here in Canada..
About the only place I've found what I like is at a material store... I prefer the burlap to be a Very Tight weave with thin thread.

Old cotton bed linen can also be used after it is dyed,, although it tends to curl a little,, and doesn't fray very well...

I made a ghillie suit type cover for my duck hunting canoe,, that turned out excellent. I used large black patterns that looked like the shadows of a large tree branch with small clumps of green here and there. Another one I made for my ruck,, which was the same. A high degree of added camo...

Looking forward in seeing them in Ron's next viedo...

Ron lloking forward to yet another addition to my collection!

ttyle Eric....

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

Normark do you mean a poncho stlye? And about the camel back I simply wear it under my BDU jacket no probs so far. And the only thing I have against frayed is it takes more burlap to make a suit and there for may cause the price to rise. And for a little extra I will ghillie just about anything, a ruck, LBE's, and well just about everything else. Thanks guys for the info keep it coming. Geoff.

I used to use what might be referred to as a poncho style. It was really a very light weight wool fabric that rolled into a tube on my belt. To use it I just pulled two cords and it dropped down behind me. The I pulled it straight up and over the head. I'd sewn sort of canvas "hat" into the fabric to center my head on the eye holes. A flap dropped down behind the belt to cover the rear lower legs. Quick on, quick off good lumpy cover and doubled as a blanket.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Gunner,
What I think is that you should post some pictures, especially of the, "find the person wearing the Ghillie suit in this picture."
wink.gif

Do you consider UV or IR signatures in construction?

Donald.

Geoff...

I like Ron's idea,,thats kinda cool...

What I was talking about though was a 2 piece suit that you put on,, like pants and jacket..

About the fraying,,, it definately needs to be done,, looks sooooo much better...

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

Don't forget to spray it with some sort of fire retardent!!!

Back