Gill Net any thoughts

Hi, I hope Greg's operation will work out fine. In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out which goodies I should buy to include in my personal "survival" kit. I asked about speed hooks before and now I want some info about a gill net they sell for about $12 and are about 15' by 5' weighing only 4-5 ounces.
Do they work and are they a good addition to a survival kit? when one goes where rivers are.
Hope to get some info, stay prepared, Bagheera

------------------

Bagheera,

thanks for your kind words. I go in monday AM. I am not sure what these nets look like. I realize it is 15' by 5' (a good size). The next question I'd pose is how big are the square openings and how strong is the line. The size of the openings need to be smaller than the fish and the strength of the line should be strong enough to hold the fish. I have made several of these nets from parachute inner core. The squares were approximately 1/2" to 3/4" and the 35 lbs tinsel strength of each line was adequate. I used them to catch small trout. One I made into a scoop net by attaching it to a sapling circle. Another was used as a throw net by attaching rocks at the edges and corners. They can also be placed across streams by using rock weights, etc.

You could do the same things with the store bought net. So my answer is: make sure it's openings aren't bigger then the fish you intend to catch and that the line strength is adequate.

PS: it is illegal, in most states, to set out fish traps, etc. (of course in a real survival situation, who cares)

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Most gill net's I've seen used were made of monofilament. The only one's
i've seen made of anything heavier were for giant blue-fin tuna, and that fishery has been permanently closed. Bait nets have the smallest meshes 2" across the diamond. Wheras Monkfish nets are 12".As for strength an 18 ft. 2500 lb. great white shark was caught in a 7" mesh net off Boston Ma. a year or two ago. The fish doesn't have to be gilled to be caught they will often swim into the net causing it to collapse around them and just get all tangled up.

I wouldnt take any gill net if you need net you can make it very easily. I make it all the time save the weight, put something more useful in you kit. Geoff.

Gunner, If you arent already carrying the twine,mono, ect.. what are you making the net out of. how long does it take to produce enough for your trap, seine, trawl, Gilnet, Castnet ect...

I carry both in my survival kit and I would semi damm the river you are netting to make use of a small net not large one. Geoff.

Sorry Gunner, I didn't make myself clear. If your carrying the twine or carrying the net made up where is the weight savings. Anyway the 5x15 gillnet described shouldnt weigh that much a pound or so at most. I have a bait net I use while tuna fishing I'll try to drag it out tomorow to see how much a small section would weigh, and how it might pack.

how big do you plan on your survival kit being??? You would be better off to load it with other stuff. Trust me on this.

Hi, the gill net that I'm referring to weighs only 4 ounces and takes up little space. I also know from my childhood that you can also use such a net with great efficiency to catch birds if you put it up between trees where birds tend to roost /fly through the net is practically invisible.
So it would work either on land for birds or in the water for fish. I checked its size and it is 12 x 4 feet so a little smaller than I first thought. For the $12 it costs one could try it out to see if it performs. Thanks for all your imput, Bagheera

------------------

Back