Giving Thanks

Perfect place to put this!

My wife and I operate and manage a horse boarding with 39 stalls, 24 outdoor runs, 6 pastures for the livin outside 24/7 style of ponies, two horse trainers, a fair number of outside boarders, and the horses that occupy those spaces. We currently have 82 horses. Have kept up to 119, but average about 77 over the course of a normal year.
I and my crew have a tough job and it does not always treat us well. Most barn staffs for that matter have it rough.

Oftentimes I end up singing a lot of tunes in A major sonuva…...(10-14 hours a day 7 days a week takes a toll)
Towards the end of August I was overwhelmed and was acting a dern fool, so it was time to buckle down, focus on business, and get myself squared away before more folks here hit the ignore button on a crabby depressed curmudgeonly half-wit, so I excused myself in the hopes of returning with a better attitude and smarter approach.

What I realized in the time away is that lurking is a vital approach to this place; and to me, akin to the golden rule.
I didn’t take in the lay of the land here long enough and jumped in like this place was a playground for my unbridled Id. And how foolish that was. Talk less, listen more…

Anyways, my business is performing well, my family and friends are healthy and enjoying their horses with us at the barn, the upcoming show season for next year looks bright for those participating, and my personal horse at 5yo is developing into exactly what I knew she’d be when we bought her as a yearling. (bought a knife recently to commemorate that fact!)
My CPK knives perform well and help me get my work done with a coy smile that I’ve got some of the finest tools/knives in the barn. That last part happens often, so lotsa joy there!!
My right hand in the barn is a young woman who is a New Hampshire transplant. She joined my family for our thanksgiving meal today and that I was very thankful for.

I am quite grateful and thankful for all of that, plus, and even though I’m still a rookie here and don’t really know anyone well yet, all of you.
I laughed a lot lurking from the shadows reading your interactions the last couple of weeks.
This is great community that operates here and I hope to continue to earn a place in it by putting the time in.

I’ll hush up now with my long-winded way of saying Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and move on to the entertainment.

Dunno if it sufficiently expresses gratitude, but it was fun hustling hard hiking to a vantage point to capture this video for my friends a couple months ago. Have been excited to share it here.
(Volume warning is a spoiler alert…)

Last edited:
Perfect place to put this!

My wife and I operate and manage a horse boarding facility with 39 stalls, 24 outdoor runs, 6 pastures for the livin outside 24/7 style of ponies, two horse trainers, a fair number of outside boarders, and the horses that occupy those spaces. We currently have 82 horses. Have kept up to 119, but average about 77 over the course of a normal year.
I and my crew have a tough job and it does not always treat us well. Most barn staffs for that matter have it rough.

Oftentimes I end up singing a lot of tunes in A major sonuva…...(10-14 hours a day 7 days a week takes a toll)
Towards the end of August I was overwhelmed and was acting a dern fool, so it was time to buckle down, focus on business, and get myself squared away before more folks here hit the ignore button on a crabby depressed curmudgeonly half-wit, so I excused myself in the hopes of returning with a better attitude and smarter approach.

What I realized in the time away is that lurking is a vital approach to this place; and to me, akin to the golden rule.
I didn’t take in the lay of the land here long enough and jumped in like this place was a playground for my unbridled Id. And how foolish that was. Talk less, listen more…

Anyways, my business is performing well, my family and friends are healthy and enjoying their horses with us at the barn, the upcoming show season for next year looks bright for those participating, and my personal horse at 5yo is developing into exactly what I knew she’d be when we bought her as a yearling. (bought a knife recently to commemorate that fact!)
My CPK knives perform well and help me get my work done with a coy smile that I’ve got some of the finest tools/knives in the barn. That last part happens often, so lotsa joy there!!
My right hand in the barn is a young woman who is a New Hampshire transplant. She joined my family for our thanksgiving meal today and that I was very thankful for.

I am quite grateful and thankful for all of that, plus, and even though I’m still a rookie here and don’t really know anyone well yet, all of you.
I laughed a lot lurking from the shadows reading your interactions the last couple of weeks.
This is great community that operates here and I hope to continue to earn a place in it by putting the time in.

I’ll hush up now with my long-winded way of saying Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and move on to the entertainment.

Dunno if it sufficiently expresses gratitude, but it was fun hustling hard hiking to a vantage point to capture this video for my friends a couple months ago. Have been excited to share it here.
(Volume warning is a spoiler alert…)
Fireworks for Thanksgiving?
Why didn’t I think of that?

Back