going on a bear hunt

That looked like a lot of fun! Is that one of your new Long Hunters? Do you like it better for your kitchen Duty than the Huntsman?

Why yes that is a long hunter, great question. The Long Hunter and the Huntsman wear designed for over lapping purposes. The long hunter is a little longer and deeper in the belly then Huntsman so it works more like a french chefs knife in the kitchen and great for quartering. While the huntsman is thinner from belly to spine making it more nimble when dressing game. Growing up in deer camps in the South east one always day a knife like a buck 110 or a fixed blade with slightly longer length on there hip, this was used to split kindling at the fire, cut potatoes in the kitchen, cut a branch to make a pot hook and cut you stake at dinner, It could dress game, gut a fish or skin in a pinch. This is the role the Huntsman plays it is light to carry on hip in the woods all day and can do almost anything with a little practice. The Long Hunter was based on trade knife patterns, much of the sam concept but with camp being much farther out. While it is a rock star in the kitchen, and at butchering game Skinning with this knife especially small game would require a very experienced hand or situation wear it is only about getting the calories in my mouth. I have said a lot to say that yes the Long Hunter is better in the kitchen, it would arguably be a bitter knife for extended trips in the bush after all it was based on trade knives. As a hunting knife (keeping in mined I spent most of 37 years in the south east U.S.) I like the Huntsman.

Awesome, what is the wood on the Long Hunter? Thanks Dan, I love my Huntsman, maybe I will need a Long Hunter one day to go with it......... And a piranha..... and a Hawkins .......... And a 3 finger....... And My Buddy Tinbanger and I need matching Echo Deltas that you use to do or maybe Cubs hahahaha.....and.........

Thanks again it looks Awesome to use.

The long hunter in the pictures is Santose Mahogany. This one is recycled flooring from my old house in ga. We had some water damage and had to replace a bunch of flooring so I went threw with tape and marked al the boards with good grain. The flooring guys thought I was nuts but it was worth it.

Redbird, that's a good idea. For some reason I got my name on the custom order list for another hawkins.

Nah Dan that was just good thinking! And now it has more of a meaning to keep! Awesome Looking! Think you did a Echo 5 one time with the same flooring?

Awesome Tinbanger, that Hawkins you have is one of the best looking ones around! Can't wait to see the new one! I think You and Brendan have the best ones out there!

Thanks Redbird. The problem with that, is I hate scratching up the nice wood handles. That's why I'm ordering one without wood. We will see how it goes.

Back